Keeping Wacky Alive! Let's Brainstorm šŸ§ 

I think DL being a Wattpad-flavored discord is what turns me off about it.
Itā€™s like all the worst things about WP wrapped up in a neat package you have to accept to join.

Iā€™m sure there are good things about it too (or it wouldnā€™t have as many members), but I was welcomed by too many red flags to see the good.

1 Like

Idk if this has been talked about, but what about having, in the share your stories, a section that doesnā€™t update weekly? This section is writing tools. So, itā€™s not just going to be resource books on Wattpad but any blogs someone might have written as well, or published books on writing.

Weā€™re all at different levels of writing and itā€™ll be helpful if a forum for writing has a directory of resources.

So, while we can always ask for advice, maybe some people donā€™t always want to ask people but find it out for themselves? And sometimes, maybe none of us know the answer, so the person has to go search for information but doesnā€™t know where to look?

I seem to like the word ā€œdirectoryā€ today :stuck_out_tongue: Used it three times already.

3 Likes

I like that idea.

To add to it, what if we utilized tags? Not sure what the capabilities or limitations of discourse are but being able to click a tag and see other topics like that would be cool.

What Iā€™m thinking about is the repetition that Iā€™ve seen over the years.

People ask the same questions all the time and after a while, I donā€™t feel like repeating myself so I might not answer where in the past I have. Maybe if we could help writers find the prior answers, that would help?

Another thing to consider is SEO. In my own blog, I have a SEO plugin that gives me suggestions and one of the things it offers is a FAQ block to help create a clear question and answer. These blocks are what show up as suggestions in Google search.

For example, hereā€™s a popular question: How long should my chapter be? The first few Google results are FAQ blocks:

This could help drive traffic.

Another New thing to consider is to have a difference between A Discussion vs A Question post.

One forum Iā€™m on has it that questions will remain open until the OP chooses the best answer. Other non-chosen answers can be marked as Helpful. And people who respond have stats: how many of the answers you gave got a Helpful mark and how many were chosen as Best. This little tally could help motivate more responses and overall, an engaged community.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a good idea. And sometimes I might have a question that I know someone else has asked because I saw it a month ago but maybe I canā€™t find it now. (I said might and maybe because it hasnā€™t happened yet, but itā€™s not zero!).

If there could be an FAQā€¦ but how do you decide what is frequent if there are variations of the same question? Youā€™d have to comb through questions to find the common ones.

Maybe there are some admin features to help with that :thinking:

2 Likes

Omg. I love this idea.

Flashback. Years ago, i was on poetry.com (I think it was a different site than what it is now) and they did a poetry book. You submitted your poem and they added it to the anthology. And then the authors purchased them. And sure, itā€™s not the same as publishing and there was never a mention of royalties so you gave up your rights, but I still have that book and it feels really cool.

We could do the same but actually do it properly, proper rights and the possibility of royalties if that ever happened.

Iā€™m all for it.

3 Likes

I agree. When discords get large, itā€™s very overwhelming. On a forum, it feels a lot more relaxed. You can take your time to discuss things as slow or fast as you want.

3 Likes

The Writersā€™ Dungeon. :joy:

I like the idea of pointing out how much this isnā€™t the discord.

Meaningful conversations. Thatā€™s our niche.

3 Likes

Yeah! It looks like such a fun and cool thing to do, Iā€™ve just never integrated myself in any forums to feel like I deserve to enter them :') Still, itā€™s a publishing credit, a fun activity, and sometimes a way to make some pocketchange. Could be awesome!

4 Likes

Sooo many cool contributions! cracks knuckles

Yup, and also I like having a place where I can just dump my ramblings somewhere they can potentially get attention, without pressuring anyone into a conversation :rofl:

Itā€™s not exactly new, we just havenā€™t used it before because we had the Wispstagram going on. We decided to try using this one now because itā€™s an easier, more recognizable username.

We happen to agree :rofl: And anyway, Dreamland is quite different, aside from it being a Discord community.

We have taken into consideration shaking up the structure a bit, to diversify and divert from Wattpad nostalgia a bit, but itā€™s not exactly an immediate need. But itā€™s on the agenda and if you have any suggestions, weā€™d love to hear them :smiley:

2 Likes

We have one, and itā€™s called #all-writing:writing-resources :laughing: This is where general writing advice goes, as opposed to specific story-based questions. Topics in that category donā€™t autoclose and donā€™t get hidden. But these are all user-based contributions, we havenā€™t yet gotten around to an official, Wacky-vetted directory. Though it did pop up on the agenda today :stuck_out_tongue:

We also have tags, official category-specific ones as well, and Iā€™m pretty sure CJ had compiled them somewhere neat, but I canā€™t find the page with Discourseā€™s new (I know itā€™s not exactly new but I havenā€™t been around too often last year) menu layout. Will have to look into making that accessible and potentially expanding on it.

I like that idea, and Iā€™m pretty sure CJ implemented the ā€˜choose answerā€™ feature in some categories, but I dunno if it can be set up to also autoclose threads. Because otherwise weā€™d have to go in and manually close, or people would have to request closure, and nobody really goes to all that trouble.

The thing with all of these existing features is making people aware of them and then convincing them to use them. Weā€™re pretty laidback here in general, and also donā€™t have the manpower to closely monitor everything people do. Some things will eventually get out of hand.

That sounds like something that could go into #all-writing:writing-resources and Iā€™ve tried to move non-specific writing question threads over there, but, again, we probably need to work on awareness + a more efficient tagging system.

1 Like

That is something thatā€™s come up in the past and honestly weā€™ve got pretty good taste in books, if I do say so myself :joy: So many of the (Wattpad) stories we featured have gone on to be successful to some degree in the online writing world. We could probably work something out if we put our minds to it, once weā€™re thriving instead of just surviving :laughing:

That seems to be the consensus, and also my personal reason why I joined this forum 3 years ago instead of random Discord servers :joy: I canā€™t keep up, but I feel Iā€™m just ā€˜oldā€™. Attention spans are just getting shorter and shorter. Also, Iā€™ve seen Discord has a ā€˜forum channelā€™ option now, so maybe we could test drive that :thinking: Though I did accidentally create one such channel and didnā€™t understand what to do with it and immediately deleted it lol

1 Like

If these are the same ones you choose when you create a topic then:

1. I can never find the tag I want. Iā€™d love it if that list was expanded.
  2. Itā€™s not exactly easy to find when youā€™re browsing the forum. This has to do with the layout and discoverability.

Some of it is in the presentation though. How obvious is it that these features exist?

The forum I bring up isnā€™t discourse but maybe we can use some of these features as inspiration if possible?

For example:
I clicked on a category and now I can sort the topics by popular or unanswered.

I clicked on a topic and when I get to the answer, itā€™s right in my face that I can mark it helpful.

No one needs to explain to me what the thumbs up means.

If I was the OP Iā€™d also see a button to choose that question.

If I start my own topic, the option to turn it into a question or a discussion is immediately available.

Make the options easy for people to find and theyā€™ll use them. If it has to come with a user manual, then itā€™s always going to be poorly utilized.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used the forum threads.

Good thing - conversation doesnā€™t get lost in the constantly moving regular channels.

Bad thing - thereā€™s less engagement than in regular channels since people have to go out of their way to see what you posted. They wonā€™t accidentally see it like they would in the regular channel.

So I think that format could work for sharing resources, etc. Itā€™s not a good substitute for discourse.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be writing a lovely long post for the next few minutes, so if you see me typing, thatā€™s why. :joy:

5 Likes

Hoooray!!!
:grinning:

2 Likes

I want to expand personal threads in some way and Iā€™m currently exploring options to do that. Itā€™s very much like a ā€œTwitter Feedā€ in that you can just post whatever you want and Iā€™d like to try and make a more social aspect (that isnā€™t direct replies in the thread itself). I just donā€™t know how Iā€™m going to implement that yet. Discourse very much wants to be ā€œanti-social mediaā€ at least in the traditional way, so trying to expand it to be more ā€œsocial-orientedā€ is proving to be a challenge.

Iā€™m planning to eventually put out a request for authors/editors/agents to do some scheduled AMAs. I donā€™t know if itā€™ll get much traction, but I have a few ties in the writing community so thatā€™s an angle Iā€™m currently working.

Yes, this was a fun perk of being featured, it just takes time to create those banners each month. If I can figure out how to automate the creation a little faster, we can reintroduce this.

I still donā€™t understand what ā€œbook clubsā€ are. I was only on the Wattpad forums for a few months before they closed, and like, obviously I know what traditional book clubs are (pick a book, read it, discuss), but I would really like to explore something more like this (groups of like-minded writers having discussion about books). We just need some people who can help run them. I think we had a ā€œbook clubā€ section waaayyyyy back in the beginning but no one used them so we nuked them.

Donā€™t worry about this. Iā€™m in the Dreamland discord also and, while itā€™s impressive for their purposes, itā€™s not the type of vibe weā€™re striving for here.

We have places for (almost) all of these things, we just need to figure out how to get people engaged in them. I think specific genres is what weā€™re missing.

This is actually a prominent Discourse feature, but we havenā€™t seen an interest in using tags before. We can definitely expand this.

I have functionality in place to allow this: it was in beta when I last enabled it and made things break, but itā€™s been long enough I can reintegrate it.

Or a bot, like Wisp, who could offer suggestions. :wink: One of our mods is currently working on a bot that will be more stable and not crash as much as Wisp does, so we might be able to explore this option. The other thing is, Discourse automatically says ā€œthere are other topics like this :sparkles: here :sparkles: are you sure you want to post this thread?ā€ and I think people ignore it. We had a discussion about our own FAQ page a few days ago (I was thinking of revamping it) and the reality is, people want an answer :sparkles: NOW :sparkles:, they donā€™t want to have to backread to find the answer. I think a bot or auto-suggestion of some kind would be the most logical answer.

I technically have a company registered that could do this, but the problem becomes royalties. If we have 30 authors in a e-book that costs 2.99 (or even a print book that costs $10), the royalties become negligible and it become cost-prohibitive for us to attempt something like it. And I hate asking for people to ā€œdonateā€ their work without being paid. Iā€™ve asked for that before and it made me feel awful because I strongly believe people should be paid for their work.

ā€œLong-formā€ conversations. Weā€™re writers. Weā€™re verbose. I see this complaint frequently on Twitter: writers donā€™t want to go to Instagram or Tiktok which are more ā€œvisual mediaā€ based, they want to be somewhere they can write.

Discourse-based issues :joy: the unpopular sidebar was the answer to that, but thereā€™s another sidebar option we can implement which is specifically tags or replies. Iā€™m working on making that an option but any changes to the current layout seem to be unpopular. :joy:

I will look into this as well, I think thereā€™s an option for ā€œhelpful/unhelpfulā€ icons, but Iā€™ll have to double-check to be sure.

I think I can implement this.

Agreed. User Interface design is SO important and I donā€™t feel that Discourse always has a great understanding of whatā€™s the most user-friendly. Like with all these other things, Iā€™m working on trying to improve this within the limitations of Discourseā€™s software. :joy:

I have a new feature called ā€œrecent repliesā€ which shows the most recent replies across all forum threads. Iā€™m wondering if this might help drive engagement if peopleā€™s curiosity is piqued by whateverā€™s happening in another thread.

ALL THAT TO SAY:
There are a lot of features we could implement and/or expand upon that I have options for or that Iā€™m actively looking into. It all really comes down to how much the users use those features. For example, we have the chat feature and have had it enabled for months. Itā€™s Discord inside the Discourse forum for fast-moving conversation. And yet, we donā€™t have many people who use it. :woman_shrugging: That leads me to believe itā€™s not necessarily the Discord layout/platform/features that drive its popularity in terms of usage, itā€™s something else, which may very well be justā€¦how well-known (or not well-known) certain communities are.

Dreamland was mentioned several times, and they are successful in a lot of ways because they are aggressive with their marketing/user onboarding practices. If we can figure out a way to harness a similar methodology, we can probably gain more traction. Iā€™m going to review our sign-up practices and see if thereā€™s an easy ā€œone-clickā€ way to sign up that we havenā€™t implemented.

Okay, thatā€™s all for now lol.

6 Likes

:clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

As to the unpopular sidebar. I think the problem with is that it might get clunky on the screen/too much going on. If it was possible to collapse it, that would help.

Once youā€™re on Discord, joining a new server is super easy. You donā€™t have to create a new account or get another app - all communities are in one place. Perhaps account creation is something to look into. What options do we have now? Can people sign up with Google?

Or maybe livening up the Discord Wacky is worth looking into? If we ensured itā€™s alive and there are conversations going on, we could try to attract writers to check that out if they already have Discord and it could be a gateway into the Wacky site.

3 Likes

It was. Wanna know how?
Click the hamburger menu. :expressionless:
Remember what I said about Discourseā€™s UI decisions? :joy: Not one of their better ones.

I donā€™t think we have that option set up, but Iā€™m going to look into it because itā€™s easy.

We need a much bigger team if we want to implement everyoneā€™s suggestions about how/where we can increase engagement elsewhere. :joy:

4 Likes

I think it would be hard to invigorate the Discord and end up doing something more effective/more desirable/ than other Discord servers. I love Discord as a platform, but I think it would be exceedingly difficult to do something unique there without a lot of work. The Dreamland comparison comes up often, but from what Iā€™ve heard from my friends in that server itā€™s an environment they enjoy but not one that fits our approach hereā€”and people have also said that the composition of that server has changed over time in a direction that might be even less conducive to long-form discussion.

The fact of the matter is that unless youā€™re promising everyone who joins Wacky Writers a thousand comments on their story and an unicorn, you arenā€™t going to please everyone, and that includes people who would in practice be a great fit for us but donā€™t care to join. Iā€™ve been talking with my off-Wattpad writing buddies about ā€œwhat would make you want to join a writing forum,ā€ buddies who are generally aware of my Wattpad adventures, and the biggest motivation they cite is having consistent writing exchanges like we do among themselves. They donā€™t care as much for craft discussions (or perhaps they didnā€™t like the threads Iā€™ve shown them here, which tend to be threads Iā€™ve startedā€”hopefully Iā€™m not the one to blame there): they want to see how other people implement principles in practice and want varied takes on their own writing. The discussions they like having are ā€œOK now that weā€™ve all read Jimā€™s first five chapters letā€™s have a round table and discuss our feelings,ā€ which is also a very high-intensity hardcore way of going about things I donā€™t think most people here care for. I think they would have a lot to contribute here, but I also donā€™t think theyā€™re entirely wrong in saying that they can already get all the writing-related banter they want themselves with the added benefit of actionable feedback.

Book clubs mean something different on Wattpad and some people get really offended whenever I suggest that the traditional approach has merit or that there are ever better ways of doing critique than rotating through ten books over the span of eight years, but thatā€™s Wattpad, and I agree with a lot of Kamiccolaā€™s points that some people and some groups poison the well when it comes to how writing groups should operate. My intuition is that people on Wattpad are too invested in their own writing to want to join book clubs where they donā€™t directly benefit, and the sorts of people who like traditional book clubs are already in traditional book clubs and arenā€™t looking for more.

Having done both Wattpad book clubs and more typical exchanges on Wattpad, as well as critique exchanges with my off-Wattpad buddies, Wattpad book clubs tend to be very slow and ineffective at gaining feedback on peopleā€™s whole books: Iā€™d much rather have one person read all my book and be able to comment in a more nuanced way than fifty people telling me they loved my first chapter but thought it needed more dialogue. When rotating through so many books itā€™s hard to keep things straight, while with private partnerships itā€™s easier to spend a day blitzing through each otherā€™s books and then give feedback. Inline comments are partially to blame: theyā€™re excellent, but are draining to write, and the net effect of all of this is that book club assignments feel more like homework than something people do to immerse themselves in writing.

My point with all of this is that there are a lot of traditional approaches to building communities on Wattpad that donā€™t mesh with our niche here. Perhaps theyā€™re more effective: thereā€™s probably a reason why Dreamland has what, 5000 members, and we have far fewer than that. But something is needed thatā€™s not just another place to talk about writing, if we want to expand the Discord. It could be some sort of review/book club service, it could be more specific craft-based share-outs, but the sad fact of the matter is that wholesome vibes alone arenā€™t enough to keep us afloat anymore.

3 Likes

So the way the ones Iā€™m in work are (on Wattpad) like a read for read: every week/fortnight/month (whatever) you are paired with someone and you read 2-5 (whatever the book club chooses) in that time frame and comment.
Then in most clubs, you rotate, but most cases you can choose to stick with that person.

People dont like me bringing up DL here, but Iā€™m in 4 of their clubs so Iā€™m gonna use them as my example:
Dreamland Exchange is a rotation of 1 week, and you read 4 chapters of someone elseā€™s book, comment intensely and focus on critique for editing. (this is more the traditional wattpad book club experience, but most book clubs do 1-2 chapters where this is intensive)

Dreamland Hunt is every month, but the minimum you read is 6 chapters per month and more if you want a chance to be book of the month. But with this club, you can read whatever book you want from all the members, and at any level (reaction comments or editing comments). You can also pair up with others and agree to read each others book for more points (thereā€™s a point system).

Dreamland Rush is twice per week, but it focuses on one (or two) people being featured that update and you just comment reaction (or light editing like "oh thereā€™s a stray comma), but itā€™s more about comment spam.

They also have one book club where the owner of DL searches out new and undiscovered books around Wattpad to feature them and get more reads for those without as many as others. Itā€™s rather wholesome.

Book clubs are what you make it, what Iā€™ve found is the more ā€œrelaxedā€ groups (not in DL, now Iā€™m talking general) are people who just want attention on their book (not saying this is bad) but the more ā€œintenseā€ clubs with like weekly rotations and more comment guidelines feature writers who are looking for more editing/critique.
For example, thereā€™s one by Team of Dreams also on Wattpad who I used to be a part of. They do a bi-weekly book club in groups where people are more relaxed, but then they also do a Wattys book club every Watty season which is more intensive, and you do see the difference.

Yeah, like some people below say, itā€™s about people getting attention on their work, but once you find people, it becomes more about the books.
When I started book clubbing, it was more for my own work, but now Iā€™m in for both reading and writing. I found some pairs on each book club Iā€™m in and stick with those and I just love reading them per week/month etc. I also get comments out of it, and some are now my ā€œfansā€ so to speak so itā€™s a win-win all round.

ETA: Iā€™d also like to say that through book clubs on WP, Iā€™ve actually learnt a lot about editing, and without the book clubs I was in, I would not have edited my book to be Watty Shortlisted. So people who think itā€™s ineffective havenā€™t had the pleasure of decent partners. :person_shrugging: Itā€™s totally effective if you get the right people in the clubs, a good and organised club going. There are plenty out there on Wattpad.

4 Likes