Long lost relative trope!!!

Do you have a story with this trope?

Like the main character or other character are related to some other character but they don’t know it yet due to many reasons.

This trope is better told here on TvTropes.com.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LongLostRelative

So, do you have any stories with this trope?

3 Likes

I hate this trope with a passion. My older sister would use it all the time in games we played as children and it burned resentment into my soul.

4 Likes

Oof! I am currently using this trope though that might change!

:sweat_smile:

I’m sure plenty of people out there will love it.

1 Like

Sorry your sister tortured you with that trope.

Used it twice. One in a not on Wattpad book and once in a book that’s on Wattpad that I loathe with a passion xD not because of that trope just because I hated writing it. I don’t really have an opinion on the trope. I just don’t like writing it :joy:

1 Like

That makes sense.

I can see how hard it can be to write that. LOL!

1 Like

That’s Begging is for Losers. Mind altered to believe her aunt and uncle are her parents. Her father is cool but her real mom is a monster.

1 Like

I have some fun stories with this trope, and it was fun to write. I dont write it often though. I think i just burned myself out because i used to be obsessed with it. It can be fun if it has a really good purpose and its written well (not in a cheesy way). Think 365 Days. Aside from that trilogy being trash, the trope is used so stupidly in that series.

1 Like

I have the potential to use this trope, since a rich person dies without any known relatives. I’m wondering if I should have someone in the cast come out of the woodwork as a relative once they realize she had tons of dough. *thinks and thinks*

1 Like

Yes but he turned himself into a dragon

1 Like

Fun twist would be this person is pretending to be a relative, but darker family secrets reveal that this person is related

3 Likes

Yes! That’s a possibility! I’m thinking this person might be the felon who’s been hunted through this whole book, or I could introduce a new character who seems like a hero but then turns out to be a corrupt, self-serving villain type. Dunno! ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ

3 Likes

The explanation is that he had a psychotic episode.

Mental Illness and magical power don’t mix well.

2 Likes

Wowzers, that really sucks for the guy!

1 Like

I mean, I have one case where this does happen in the story and another case where it sort of happens in the story :joy:

1 Like

Interesting. Do explain a bit more if you can?

1 Like

So, the first would be Xix who pop up til book 3 and she and Amneris don’t find out they’re related until near the end (where they have amazing reactions). That’s the one that does follow the trope.

The other one is Horus. It’s a little tricky 'cause Amneris knows who he is and his relation to her, but the other characters don’t so it only applies a bit. Really, blood relation wise, the trope only applies to his sister Hathor who didn’t know about Horus before running into him in book 4

1 Like

The reason why I like the idea of them actually being related but pretending it is because you have this person’s who is coming in to swindle you, so they’re trash, but it turns out they are your trash. What to do with them? You can’t trust them to be loyal, but this is blood ties.

1 Like

A purple dragon, too, one that has to stay underground because of their sensitive skin.

1 Like