Maybe I am clueless, but help me understand something.

That makes sense. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s how I do it :joy:

1 Like

Hmm…the funny thing about subplots is that they’re tangents, but still related to the main plot. Often a thing that comes up in fantasy at least is a romance subplot. The easiest to understand is when you have a movie about two characters trying to solve a crime and working together and the whole plot is about the crime and the mystery, but then those characters also start to fall in love and then have relationship issues they need to work through. That’s a romance subplot.

Not saying you have to toss in a romance subplot.

But say you have a character going on a self-discovery journey. The plot is the self-discovery journey. The subplots are all the incidents and character relationships that happen during that journey.

2 Likes

It sounds more like an outline than a simple plot. It’s easy to condense an entire story into a paragraph or less than, but when you outline it to a point where you’re describing beats, characters, settings, world building, you add length to that plot and, therefore, you create a one page (or longer) plot.

Typically, my ideas for a plot tend to be a few sentences. Like my most recent one was one sentence: “Romance novel about meeting at a wedding and getting married in the future. Called Love at First I Do.

But if I were to plan it out thoroughly, it’d be half a page or much longer.

4 Likes