Metaphor/Creativity Writing Exercise

Okay, this is a really fun (in my humble nerdy opinion) exercise I like to do when I’m blocked! It can be difficult, but if you’re trying get your creative juices flowing and/or you could use some help with your metaphors, this is the game for you.

Basically what you have to do is go to perchance.org/object , set it to 2 and click the unique box. This will generate two completely random objects, which you have to somehow connect and write a metaphor about. It could have to do with color, shape, texture, use etc., as long as there is a clear connection between them. If you’re having trouble finding common characteristics, you could make a mind chain going from one object to the other, e.g. scarf - neck - necklace - locket.

Let me see your metaphors! Not sure if this actually helps in anything, but it can make for some hilarious metaphors—

9 Likes

Like comic books, bottle caps are cheap, collectible, and gain value over the years.

(Great idea by the way :slightly_smiling_face:)

4 Likes

Oh that’s great! You could also make an extended metaphor with that one, you’ve hit a goldmine wow—

3 Likes

I got keys and music CD :expressionless: * thinking *

Update: just like that album I knew I had somewhere in the house— who even buys CDs anymore? — I had stupidly misplaced my keys. I could remember them perfectly, visualise them like I did that boy-band album cover. I just couldn’t bloody find them.

3 Likes

I believe in you ^0^

2 Likes

Updated :joy: lemme try again, lol

spool of wire and pocketknife :woman_facepalming:

The handyman’s essentials — wire and a blade. There are very few things some well-placed wire can’t fix, so I make sure to always keep a spool in my pocket — along with my stainless steel pocketknife. No screwdriver? No problem! This sharp, shiny bad boy has you covered.

1 Like

Mari you legit just wrote copy for a tool selling website didn’t you :sob:

I mean I would buy that pocket knife ngl

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: I realised afterwards that it’s not really a metaphor, lol, but I’mma make it up with this one: glass and helmet.

Burying myself in his lies had been like wearing a helmet made of glass. It protected me from the truth, but as soon as it shattered, the shards stabbed my face bloody.

2 Likes

:exploding_head:
Mind blown
WOW you’re a good writer. That was AMAZING

2 Likes

Update on comic books and bottle caps:

“What can I do ya for?” The grizzled shop owner said to me.

I dropped my bag of loot on the counter and stood back as he gave me sideways glance. He looked inside and raised his eyebrows at me, almost as if he was amused, or even impressed, by my dedication to such a seemingly trivial pursuit.

“Ya know pal, they say bottle caps are the poor man’s comic books. Even the highest bidder won’t give you more than a grand. Dr. Pepper’s a nice fella, but he ain’t Batman.”

I sighed. “Just check ‘em out and give me an appraisal, will you?”

“Whatever you say, pal…”

Little did he know that some of those old bottle caps would make the first edition of Batman look like a crumpled up wad of paper…

2 Likes

Meanwhile I wrote a whole scene heh, why I don’t know…

2 Likes

Why, thank you, I try :sweat_smile::slight_smile: I really appreciate the kind words :heart:

2 Likes

It was very good. That one might’ve stumped me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol you’re great too :joy:
Love the part about Dr. Pepper and Batman that’s really cool :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s a really nice scene tho, it jumps off the page :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you hehe. And yeah I don’t even know where that came from. It was fun though :rofl:

2 Likes

Haha, I think some of the best ideas with dialogue especially come without a moment’s notice, it’s just so much more natural

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I like to write my scenes like movie scenes hehe

1 Like

Lol I just got ‘zebra’ and ‘pair of tongs’ :joy: :rofl:
I don’t even know lol
Give me a second to think this over

2 Likes