Mommy and/or Daddy had a very good reason for abandoning you...

Have you ever written a character who was abandoned by their parents or one of their parents causing that character to resent their parents or parent when in actuality that parent(s) had a legit good reason for why they abandoned their child?

This is a popular trope, but I was wondering if anyone here has ever pull it off.
Also, what was the reason that the parent(s) abandoned their child(ren)? Was it really for the greater good or for selfish reasons?

Does the reason for the parent(s) abandonment tie into what is happening with the plot?

My Turn:

Spoiler Alert: In my newest story, my MC is from a large summoner clan which is practically it’s very own society. However, the clan was eliminated and the MC along with his sister are the last of their kind. With summoning and summoning rituals viewed as dark magic and is banned in every country, these siblings don’t have anywhere to go. Their mother died and their father who was the clan leader abandoned them without them knowing why.

The reason why the summoner clan was killed off was a mistake and the reason why the MC’s father abandoned them was because of that mistake. The father of the MC is the sole reason why the summoner clan aren’t around. The father couldn’t live with the guilt of killing his clan anymore, so he abandoned his children after their mother died.
The clan was going to perform a Total Summoning Ritual where every person in the clan works together to summon a highly powerful entity that they think they can bend to their will if the summoning works. The father was all for it until they realized what they were summoning at the last minute. They would be summoning a creature more powerful than a god and if that creature came Llyria would be destroyed. The father managed to stop the ritual, but the summoning clan was killed off and the only two survivors were his children.

Anyway, the MC and his sister are the last of their kind while their father and the clan are dead. Well, the father isn’t technically dead, just stuck in a void where the creature that would have been summoned is. The father can’t get out and probably the only people who can free him are his children.

What about you guys? Was your MC abandoned by their parents or parent for a good reason or a selfish one?

Lend me your thoughts.

3 Likes

Bump.

Yes, in Lone Werewolf all male children are given away. It allows the tribe to survive and thrive.

2 Likes

I do, but it would ruin much of my tale…

Hatred is deep seeded, yet controlled. With their own reasons for their hatred being just…
I’d like to go further, but I dare not.

SD

2 Likes

Ah, I see. You have a big spoiler alert.
No problem.

1 Like

A spoiler alert, maybe not… But there are a few who dislike their lineage, and what their future may/now beholds…

It could ruin much for a few characters by the middle of my tale, and some that will be revealed at the end.

There are many Fallen Kingdom’s of Arillion as you now know, and they are woven within… :wink:

SD

1 Like

I’ve got a minor chip on my shoulder about just abandoning kids, so I don’t really write that pleasantly.

Begging is for Losers

It’s a double whammy of obedience to a Goddess allows the MC to be abandoned AND at least her birth mom is an absolute ass that’s worth getting rid of.

Now, wolves believe in their Goddess, but it’s a story of two deities (one established and one trying to take over) having a long cold war that’s about to erupt into hell, and this MC is the “secret agent” in that, groomed and manipulated from early childhood.

And the only one I have any pity for is her father: the payment for not sacrificing everyone else’s child is the sacrifice of his own kids, so he’s stuck in several situations I would never agree to.

That and he did his best to teach her about difficult life choices from birth, so it’s not like he’s just abandoning his kids with no preparation.

The Fairways Empire

Harvold Twelfthborn was abandoned to an education, like a lot of upper class English children. It wasn’t really his mother’s choice, but more his grandparents because he’s a child that shouldn’t have happened.

It doesn’t really mean much to him because his peers are more his family than his bloodline, but he is repulsed at the idea of blindly following family behaviors.

In the Game of the Gods

Sssyraine is a project creature, but she’s also a lizard…so she doesn’t think like a human about being abandoned.

If someone asked her if she ever would look for her parents, she’d probably say something like:

“Who? A mother? That lizard likely still had a primitive mind and the sun on the sands hatched me in front a bunch of dumb males that hoped I’d have more of a brain than she did. And a Father? Males don’t raise young. That human thing…sperm donors? Male lizards are just generations of soiled sheets. I’d rather deal with any other species’ men. My first mate deserved his death for being such dribble.”

No wonder she’s sweet on an Elf. They have more empathy.

To Make a Kinder Children's Tale

Esme’s mom never abandoned her. But growing up with a drunk prostitute when your father has that thrown in his face out of nowhere (dad didn’t know it was his kid) will get you taken out of her custody.

The growth in this story, on that line, is that Esme gets to understand, first-hand, why her mother acted so insane. She wasn’t nuts, she was just another species, being driven by primal urges that went wrong and was struggling with resisting her baser nature which lead to substance abuse.

He rather just silently raised her without telling her that he was her father until the story forces it out of him.

But in some of my stories I have well-adjusted homes with single or couples raising kids without a lot of mental issues. I don’t like solely relying on “daddy issues” or “mommy issues”.

1 Like

That is fine, and you have your reasons which is okay.

Write your tales as you see fit to do so.

SD

1 Like

I’d say the MC’s aren’t totally messed up in spite of what happens. Probably the most affected by it is the first one, and in that one her father had the most palatable excuses. The mother? Nope.

But my motivations are having good parents and kids of my own and just finding a abandonment awful.

1 Like

Wilmer just didn’t like his kids. :flushed:

2 Likes

Oh, wow!

Does Wilmer hate kids and being parent or rather the thought of being a parent?

2 Likes

He just hates how his kids turned out :flushed:

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense…I think. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If by “abandoned” you mean “kicked off the planet”, then yes :joy:

1 Like

Why was this character kicked off the planet? What was the reason for it?

1 Like

Child abuse is HIGHLY illegal

That was the first time. Technically, that was also the reason for the third time.

The second time was because of the downfall of the King who this character had married. People were NOT happy

1 Like

Wait I miscounted

1 Like

That doesn’t seem like something that would be a good reason to abandon the child.

1 Like

Child abuse is HIGHLY illegal

That was the first time. Technically, that was also the reason for the third time.

This was actually the first and FOURTH time

This was the second time.

The THIRD time was because the character lost a battle and was banished from Creation

The second, third and four times also apply to the second child, not just the first child

1 Like

I am confused and I do apologize.

The reason why the character was kicked off was because they abusive towards their children. So, that is considered a good reason for the abandonment.

1 Like