Murder Mystery

Your only contact at the agency, besides the other detectives, of course, is Shelly Trombly. Shelly is
small businessowner who, after taking a series of different paths in life, professes that running a private detective agency is her calling. Shelly runs the humble Coeus Private Agency out of an office in her home, but with enough success maybe one day the CPA will be able to afford its own office space.

“Sure did” Johnathan responds “Plenty of hunts around the village, but we don’t touch the owls.”

1 Like

THIS JUST IN: Riverview Weekly (Accessed electronically on detectives’ personal phones)

• Front Page: Kimberly Locke’s Run For Governor of Boise Following Hamilton Case Receives Overwhelming Support
  • By Nick Opaka

When Mayor Kimberly Locke of Riverview announced a run to unseat the incumbent Governor Dole, her candidacy received overwhelming support.

She comments, “I have built a public career exposing corruption and taking a stand against injustice. Our homes are now a little safer because I led a campaign to take dangerous Hamilton air filters off the market”

Locke’s campaign has amassed significant volunteer efforts, campaign contributions, and voter enthusiasm.

Continue to check Riverview Weekly – your #1 source on the election!

• Article Two: Is a Hot Dog Really a Sandwich? I Try to Find Out by Eating Twenty of Them. Conclusion? Not Sure But My Stomach Hurts
  • By Jed I. Knight

[text omitted]

Ad: Visiting Black Creek? Come to Sunnydae Inn! Right across the path from Owl Eye’s Inn! It’s brightly lit and it’s super safe!

1 Like

…spellcheck lol was supposed to say contract XD. I just wanna sure the government XD

“Is there a superstition? I hear they’re incredibly smart.”

There’s another inn?! Can I visit there, too? :eyes:

Lol, alright I’ll answer this as well! You’re employed at-will (no employment contract). The firm does have an agreement with Boise to investigate Black Creek, but not one where the government is or has committed to doing anything at all themselves by way of investigation at this point.

“The Great Owl protects this village” Johnathan sneers.

1 Like

You can if you want! Unlike Owl Eye’s Inn, Sunnydae is brightly lit, and more modern looking. Its owner’s name is Rick.

1 Like

I nod and then decide to cut right to the chase.

“So I hear there have been disappearances every night at midnight? From the same room, #4…any suspicions why it keeps happening in one room, or who or what could potentially be behind it?”

1 Like

“Oh goodness!” Candy exclaims “Disappearances? I haven’t heard about anything like that! That sounds scary, but I would know all about that if people were lost or something like that. I am the front desk girl, after all, and I haven’t seen anything suspicious.”

2 Likes

Ahhh

“Tell me the history behind that. I love learning local lore.”

That’s my next stop. I gave suspicions👀.

Johnathan takes a fowl to his cutting board and cuts it up with his sharpened knife.

“Well outsider” he says “This village has inherited its traditions from the Red Cherokee tribe. Black Creek was a chieftan who lived here long long ago. Was named after the creek that runs through the village that looks black cause sunlight don’t get to it.”

Johnathan cuts along the bird’s thigh and separates its thighs from its carcass.

“Well, anytime there’d be any threat to the tribe from outsiders, the owls would know first because they’d fly away, and that there’d alert the rest of the village that somebody was a’ comin’. The Great Owl is a spirit that sees the future and protects the village. That’s why we pay tribute of our hunts to it.”

Johnathan grabs a cleaver.

“So it’ll protect us from threats.”

Johnathan drops the cleaver down on the fowl’s head and you hear it thud into the cutting board as the bird’s head rolls straight off.

1 Like

…Terrifying image…

About how old is this dude? Like, is he really visibly old or like mid-years?

“It sounds like they really did protect the tribe. Does anyone ever notice the owls doing the same now? Leaving when outsiders come in?”

He has wrinkles around his nose and graying hair, though his hair isn’t completely gray - it’s mixed with brown, and he has a small bald spot. He looks in his mid to late fifties.

“Oh yes.” Johnathan says “We mostly live in peace by ourselves, and we like it that way. Selena’s our ‘sheriff’ so to speak. Lives down by the creek and makes sure that everything’s orderly. Hope you’re not thinkin’ about causing any trouble around here.” Johnathan says, wrapping up the broken down fowl parts.

1 Like

Ah. So he’s been here a while. “Are you a local, or did you move here from somewhere else? And what do you know about the other inn? I’ve heard the name a couple of times.”

“Nope, just want to learn. They say education is key.”

“Been here ever since I was born. So’s Rick, the owner of the Sunnydae Inn, but he’s the only one in the village who doesn’t really live by our traditions. Him and his girlfriend Brandi.” Johnathan replies.

1 Like

“Ah. And they’re both from the area? Or is Brandi an outsider?”

Just me trying to get a feel for the competition…

“She was an outsider once. Nowadays, people see her more following the traditions than Rick does, even though he’s been here since he was born.”

1 Like

Hm…

“Thanks for talking to me. You said I should head over to the local inn? Who did you say was in charge again?”

“My partner, Willow” Johnathan says. “Yeah, she runs Owl Eye’s Inn for the outsiders who stay in Black Creek. Inn’s been real slow recently.”

1 Like

“Oh no,” I try. “Is it just not the season for travel?”

Johnathan rounds up some meat and wraps it in a cloth.

“Must be that.” he says as he slings the cloth of dead meat over his shoulder and opens the front door to the general store.

“Off to pay my tribute to the Great Owl statute. You wanna know more about the village, there’s Don by the chapel. He’s the priest. And Dwyer, the soothsayer.”

1 Like