Music Ratings Make No Sense

Once upon a time, a band called Powerwolf made a song called “Ressurection by Erection”, but Spotify didn’t mark it as explicit. I don’t think the album it comes from even has a Parenteral Guidance sticker on it. But you know who does? Lana Del Rey, which means that her lyrics are even more sexually charhed than singing “erection” as part of your chorus.

I don’t get it.

1 Like

I bet it’s the dirtiest album ever!

The lyrics for your reference.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/powerwolf/resurrectionbyerection.html

I know right? A rapper barely says the n word or bitch and he gets slapped with Parental Guidance and RCHP sing about lesbian sex and stuff and they don’t get PH?

1 Like

I swear, this song was made to troll the music ratings people.

1 Like

“They said phallus, nobody knows what that word even refers to these days!”

I also don’t understand music ratings. I’ve heard of songs getting the “explicit” rating for saying *hell (why did my autocorrect change it to bell lol) or damn. But then others don’t when they talk about sex or have the F bomb in it?

1 Like

Radiohead made a song about eating a corpse, Donner Party style, but that album didn’t get hit with a Parental Guidance warning. Wolf at the Door was marked by Spotify as explicit…for some reason. I think it said the dreaded f-word once, but still weird.

1 Like

Yeah, well this one never even got a rating even though it was released the same year they started slapping them on everything.

Then again, maybe I’m just misinterpreting the lyrics.

1 Like

I just think that the ratings people are hard of hearing so they miss a lot of things.

It’s because the system is outdated, based upon what you can an can’t get find on for tv and radio.

1 Like

Put it this way: you can talk about sex all you want, always have been able to. That’s what Tutti Fruti was. But if you talked about it to where a kid could understand it, that would just plain be banned. So, eventually songs wore down the barriers on going over people’s heads and just plain shifted to being graphic, but the laws are still based on the explicit word lists from when people were vague about sex.

1 Like

I guess “erection” and “phallus” weren’t on those lists.

No because people weren’t using explicit words for sex, and the other ones like fuck weren’t about saying I’m doing it right now. So it got edited out.

It’s not like I get dementedly mad and stomp up and down shrieking PHALLUSPHALLUSPHALLUS!"

1 Like

So yeah, they need to be updated, but no one wants to touch it.

1 Like

This one is a good one:

My parents kept trying to stop me from saying, “we’re screwed” because they hear sex, and my husband and I hear we’ve been crossed. That’s the word gap between 60 and 40 year olds, back when we were 20s and 40s.The 60 year olds have adjusted, although most won’t say it still.

1 Like

Man, I can’t wait for the linguistic drift of the future!

Right now, English is streamlining. So I’m seeing an avoidance of verb tenses starting with “to”, and dropping “the” and" “a” as much as possible.

I’m having to edit things I wrote 5,6 years ago to drop some of that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.