NA or YA - A Poll

(Especially as someone 20+) Do you prefer YA (young adult) or NA (new adult) books? YA follows Highschool age people and NA tends to follow College age people.

• NA (New Adult | College)
  • YA (Young Adult | Highschool)

0 voters

This is not talking about the reading level. Just the book following the characters around college or highschool ages

2 Likes

I’m 25 and read in a variety of target audiences, between adult, NA, and YA. I can understand why many prefer NA as adults because they want to read about people their own age, but truthfully, I don’t feel like I am 25 and while I do act appropriately (or try to lol) I find myself lost in YA because it hits close to home for me. I never had actual friends (by choice and by lack of kind people) nor have I ever experienced many things teens or beginning adults have, and it I can try to live out what I never got to experience through the eyes of those characters.

On top of that, I prefer clean stories in regarding romance scenes and while I know NA can have clean romances, you never really know what you’re walking into in terms of what it’s rated until that scene pops up. I love YA because I can expect it to be clean. :sweat_smile:

I don’t search out YAs because I spend so much time reading through them and finding their writing so annoying. They act like immature children and I just can’t connect to finding a sixteen year old hot anymore. Even if I pretend we’re the same age. And that disconnect makes it hard to finish series I used to love like House of Night.

I just end up spending too much time making the “what the actual fuck” face and looking off in the distance. It’s a real shame.

1 Like

I get that. But I also feel like it depends on the story. I’ve also read a lot of stories about adults who also act like children. :sweat_smile: The Girl on the Train comes to mind. Also, people who act like idiots, too. I haven’t read it, but if Bridgerton is similar to the books then it would’ve made me stop reading. Haha. I wanted to stop watching too after the whole fiasco with Daphne and Simon; kept thinking she should’ve married the prince. Lol.

We grow up and want to read about people our own ages. But for me, I don’t seek out a book hoping the character is a similar age as me or if they’re hot or not. I pick up books based on their plot, so if I find something that sounds interesting regardless of character age and target audience, I’m taking it home with me. I’ve even encountered middle grade books that sound great. :wink:

I just want a more mature read. Like in House of Night I can’t stand the catty teenage girl part. It’s always “haha I made the popular girl lose her spot in power” and “I can’t choose between these two men” OR THE WORST PART- when she gets who she wants in the first book and in the second she couldn’t care less about him and had a brand new obsession. In each book she bounces around these three guys and then the bad guy comes in as a hot guy wanting her.

1 Like

And I don’t mind a boy triangle. It’s just the way its written like a 14 year old girl is making choices and ignoring what those choices mean.

1 Like

Actually, I don’t care, as long as the book is interesting… as a mother of a teen, I am intrigued by that age, but tbh, anyone between 15 and 30 nowadays feels as the same age group to me. Young people….

3 Likes

I’ll read most anything, but I’m 40. Both of these are nostalgic eras and I’m not very nostalgic. But if I have a preference, it’s about going out in the adult world, not arrested development, which means that it’s a neither, for me. (And I’ve written in both age ranges.)

1 Like

Yeah, seems like it definitely depends on the book. Not all YA books are like that though a good handful are, unfortunately. A part of that is just how trendy they can be. Not to mention, House of Night is a vampire book written around the time that Twilight was a thing. I was looking around a lot of popular vampire YA books the other day and definitely felt how immature the casts were just by reading the summary lol.

The crazy thing is that YA’s audience is predominantly made up by adults between their 20s and 30s, and are written by adults as well. So you’d think that they would write something coherent, you know? :sweat_smile:

Some of my favorites that have more mature casts would be:

Sadie by Courtney Summer

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.

These are just some of my favorites as examples of characters that aren’t as immature as others.

1 Like

How come no one but me likes reading full on adult? I don’t mean erotica or mature themes, just books about grown adults? ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

2 Likes

Just adult

2 Likes

Neither. Unless it’s really good, then either! I’m almost forty so I lean towards reading/writing about adults.

3 Likes

I would read books about adults if the genre is fantasy or science-fiction tailor to my liking.

2 Likes

I read those too! :sweat_smile:

I just don’t often pick them up because of possible spicy scenes I don’t want to read about or how it seems with characters and plot. Some of my favorites are adult books, but I’ve also read a good majority that are boring and don’t have as much flavor as YA or it’s not well written…

1 Like

I’ve read full on adult since I was 12. Of course I prefer that over either of these two, but I’m speaking “within the two”.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I have a preference. I can’t stand smut to the point where even fade-to-black scenes are annoying, but I don’t usually end up with books that have much of that in it, regardless of age category. The romance genre isn’t my thing. Other than that, idk.

It’s equally hard to identify with both high school and college settings because covid took away most of my college experience and I only spent two years in public school. Reading characters from either of those stages of life just feels like looking in on something that may or may not exist in real life. And as far as character maturity goes, while YA absolutely caters to the feelings of teenagers (“I’m not a child, mom” says the fifteen-year-old MC), immaturity when handled intentionally (and not just accidently slipped in by an equally immature author) works really well as a character fault and to show growth throughout the story.

Also YA is meant to cover topics relevant to the teens of whatever age it was written in, which often includes the same problems that are relevant to people of all ages, for instance; racism. This quality makes a lot of YA books equally as readable and important for everyone to read, not just young adults.

Recently finished this series and can attest to the relative maturity of the characters. The author did a good job with Cleo especially, showing both her youth and how her upbringing/the disasters happening around her have forced her to mature.

A lot of my favourite books are adult fiction, in fact Firebird and Ender’s Game have been favourites of mine since I first read them when I was… twelve, maybe? There’s just not as much discussion around that age category.

1 Like

There’s so much smut in stories. Like not every book needs sex in it. Some are even forcing the story too much.

1 Like

I agree. To some degree it’s added to sell more books, I see some trad authors talk about how they were asked to add romance or smut by publishers, and I also see indie authors who are concerned that their book won’t do as well in the market simply because it’s clean. I think that way of forcing books to conform to what ‘sells’ is poisonous to the creative community and I really hope it dies out.

The other major factor I think is that in western culture especially sex is often considered the ultimate form of intimacy. How do you show two characters are deeply in love with each other right before the Bige Boss Battle? Make them bang, of course. It’s quick, it’s easy, and everyone knowns babymaking is how you say I love you in every language. Bonus points if a baby is actually made, because nobody has ever broken up after a pregnancy, right?

idk man, I like characters being romantic with each other but I find “they banged so they must be in love” really hard to believe/get invested in and it feels like that’s where all romance plots lead eventually.

1 Like