Name something that is considered legal in your fictional world that you can't get away with in the real world...

Astrophysics lol. I’m a nerd :sweat_smile:

Anyone can do it if they take the time to not have a social life and research :partying_face: though personally I advise not doing that

1 Like

Cool. Nerds are amazing though and so are geeks too.
I am more of an anime nerd/geek if anything. Though not that much. LOL!

LOL! Thanks for the tip.

Nah, anime is cool

1 Like

Sweet, sweet!

:grin:

1 Like

lol. For context, I live in the states.

“Police” (they’re not called that but they are the military) can basically conduct their business in however way they want as long as they’re not causing unnecessarily chaos or harm.

Literally child marriage (legal in most states, although there’s different age-constraints), incest (first cousins can still marry where I’m from), and there are laws against squatters (specifically because I hate them irl).

This is all dependent on which state. The state I’m in is a little loose on laws but, for its credit, I’ve never heard anything promoting such behavior. In fact, most people from my state are shocked when I tell them about our loose laws, lol.

1 Like

So, does that change their morality around it? Like, because the laws are loose, are people murdering in secret? Or is it more like an agreed upon thing, but because they don’t have a proper judicial system the villagers are all like “ya lets kill him” and then they kill him.

2 Likes

Yummy Yummy Spaghetti Intestines

1 Like

career graverobbing and corpse desecration (Gallows Humour)

1 Like

Because in limited incidents, it’s accurate.

For example: you can’t go excavate the Titanic for treasures like you could most any other ship and not have governments on your backside.

When (under) Bill Clinton (they) decommissioned many of our Nukes from the Cold War, they allowed them to be publicly bidded on. They were taken apart, but still had radioactive material. No one wanted to buy the one in that auction, but a Midwest farmer did, to deliberately mess with the government: he bought it, got it on his property, and made sure that news services knew he had it. It caused such an uproar that is $1 buy was bought back at something like a couple hundred grand and legislation went in effect almost immediately to prevent that from being that easily sold.

Now, when Russia fell (USSR), a lot of THEIR nuclear material wasn’t secure, and we to this day don’t know where it went, but at least it’s not our own weapons being used against us, on this one thing.

2 Likes

Yes

1 Like

“I am the law and I do what I want” is pretty much what is happening here in a sense.

LOL!

1 Like

It’s more complex, because historically the peacekeepers were not human, and they ate prisoners, which helped keep the incarcerated population down.

There are humans in the police service now.

1 Like

Ooh, I see now.

Does it depend on the type of crime, or it doesn’t matter in the slightest?

I mean if someone stole a loaf of bread versus a person who murders or rapes, which will get eaten?

1 Like

Repeat offenders and people on death row are most at risk.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it did. :sweat_smile:

Then again, a lot of my world building surrounds itself with plausible things that could happen in the far future. So… maybe it could? Lol

In some places, no. There’s no head of the village. In others, there are (in which murder is frowned upon, but due to their lack of technology and structure as a town, if there were no witnesses and no clear evidence, you can easily get away with it).

The story takes place in 4745. A few thousand years prior (around the late 2000s and early 3000s), there were multiple world wars with nuclear attacks… like big enough to destroy a good sized country. Alongside that, however, came major climate and global warming changes. Enough to cause massive earthquakes, tsunamis that wiped out half of a small country, hurricanes, etc. Because of these natural and unnatural (the wars) disasters, a continental shift began. This ripped countries and cities apart. Once the shift finished, this and the climate change took over and covered most of human history. Billions of people perished, and those who survived didn’t have much of their culture left. Many went on to create their own, and it changed throughout the years.

But anything found from the “old world” is considered precious, and so, it’s needed to keep it safe so they don’t get ruined. The Archive is pretty much like a museum, just… not open to the public lol.

It varies on the village. There are villages who actually murder for religious sacrifices—I actually have a scene of that, haha.

But like, in most villages, it’s frowned upon but they don’t really care, especially in a village that doesn’t have someone who is in charge of anything. Of course, in most of these villages, murder doesn’t really happen all that often, not when many get violently attacked from a magical species and kills anyone in their way. So, from that trauma alone has halted murder from happening in their villages lol.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s cannibalism, because for cannibalism you need to eat the member of your own species. It’s perfectly legal to eat members of other species.

2 Likes

LinkedUniverse: They don’t have taxes, they only pay if actually buying something, so “tax evasion” isn’t a thing in that story.

Warriors/Minecraft: Technically they can get away with anything, except for murder and tax evasion (because this story DOES involve taxes). Things such as robbing, however? Perfectly fine, in fact the villagers don’t notice if one or two things are taken out of their chests.

2 Likes

Good point, it’s predation.

But some humans do it too.

2 Likes

Pretty much everything that Domingo does.

1 Like

Mostly, everything legal in my world is also legal in the real world. But there are some exceptions… specially around more… totalitarian countries

For the most part, by 2020, laws do not recognize gender (At least not in theory, they do in practice), but in Saudi Arabia, for example, it is illegal for men to drive, a man cheating on his wife is usually sentenced to death, while a woman cheating on her husband is usually just “asking for forgiveness”

It gets even more extreme on Afghanistan starting 2021

in the Democratic Republic of Congo, it is stated by law that the Woman is the Head of the Household and her husband must obey her

In Japan, a woman is free to marry at age 18, but men can get married as soon as 16

Etc. etc.

1 Like