Narby’d 21 Rules for Authors Based on the Major Arcana

0 - The best way to start writing is to let go of any worries or preconceived notions of what you should write and write it.

1 - Critically examine stories you read and experience

2 - A calm, focused mind is the best state to write in, or at least edit

3 - You must take interest in the world around you if you wish for new ideas

4 - Sucess comes when you find a writing system that works for you.

5 - You will always have more to learn, no matter your experience.

6 - Every choice presented in your story must have an equal and opposite reaction.

7 - A character who will stop at nothing to reach their goal will always be more interesting than a character shuffled by the plot around because they have no motivation.

8 - If you have confidence in your work, so will the rest of the world.

9 - Allowing yourself to simply think about your story without distraction is often beneficial.

10 - If the audience is unsure of the ending, they will be more engaged.

11 - The best way to make people hate your main characters is to never make them face negative consequences when they are deserved.

12 - Taking a short break can give you new perspective.

13 - Abandoned or unfinished projects are sad but inevitable.

14 - Most rules have exceptions, there is an art to understanding why their limits

15 - You are in control of what you write, no one else. Not even your characters.

16 - The darkest hour comes right before the dawn, unless you are talking about mental illness.

17 - Sharing a message of hope even when the world is dark will always be in style.

18 - The search for “the one secret to be a bestseller” is an illusion with as much value as rattlesnake oil.

19 - Your passion for your writing will be clearly reflected in the finished product.

20 - Self-deprecation may be relatable, but an honest reflection of your strengths and weaknesses will serve you more in the long term.

21 - Out there, someone will read your story and be inspired.

8 Likes

@JohnnyTuturro :stuck_out_tongue: I did it.

1 Like

@HKelle I set out to improve your day

1 Like

The lack of complaints is nice so far

Lmao. I’ll read it after a while.

1 Like

Your not wrong about you list here, but the last one (Number 21) is all I wish for. That someone will like what I have written, and if only one person in a world of billions reads it, and likes it, then I have made it big time!

And I will have left something for my Grand Children also to enjoy.

SD

1 Like

I don’t know if you listed these in order of importance, but I’d put this at either number 1 or 2. Overconfidence is a writer’s worst enemy.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah???

Most of my best writing is when I’m drunk! Go figure! Hahaha!

SD

2 Likes

Same or out of it lol. Or I just go for it with music.

2 Likes

But you are arguably calm and focused. No outside distractions, no worries, just writing.

1 Like

Even when I am drunk?

1 Like

It’s based on the Major Arcana so 5 is for the Hierophant/High Priest, which represents higher learning and knowledge.

You can’t write and puke at the same time.

1 Like

Brings phone to bathroom

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You can, but only you could.

1 Like

SuperChurro.

I also bought 4 packets of my baby siblings tonight.

1 Like

Now this is something to aspire to, and overcome!

“Barry! Pass me the Gin! @NotARussianBot got me a fucking challenge not to be dismissed here!”

SD

1 Like

I generally agree with all but this one. This comes down purely to the individual writing process. My characters absolutely, 100% control my writing, no exceptions, nothing I can do about it, and I wouldn’t change it even if I could

1 Like

I consider that a logical fallacy, because your characters are extensions of your own imagination. So you are fighting with yourself over your story.

1 Like