Need help with clubs! (because worldbuilding)

Hey guys. Honestly, I’m clueless about this so thought let’s ask the writers! So, I never really got to explore clubs in high school or university because :sparkles: academics :sparkles: which means I’m a bit in over my head with this part of worldbuilding :joy: What are some clubs you’d find at a high school/college/university? After literally anything from any country. Anything you think is a club people would join in high school/college/university. Thanks, all!

3 Likes

Maybe media, service, computer graphics / coding, creative arts, dance, drama etc.? These seem pretty standard across the board

2 Likes

There must be at least one anime club

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, I think @FranklinBarnes is a teacher, so he could probably tell you…? ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

2 Likes

At my kid’s high school it’s competitive and recreational sports (badminton) , robotics, GSA, language/culture groups, leadership (Canada)

2 Likes

2 Likes

Definitely :joy:

1 Like

We’ll see if they appear

1 Like

Those are cool ones

1 Like

College student here! Well what clubs you have and how many of them you have will depend on the size of the school, I guess? My university has hundreds—or maybe even thousands—of clubs. I’ll divide them into categories.

• Ethnicity/Nationality/Race clubs: Think clubs like the [University Name] Asian American Association, Latino Students Organization, Filipino Students Association, Mexican Students Club, etc. Despite the name, clubs built around a certain ethnicity or race don’t require members to be of a certain background to join from my experience—we have non-Filipinos in our school’s Filipino club! There are also clubs that, in a way, span multiple colleges, with each campus having its own “branch” of the same club. The Indonesian Student Organizations tend to be called PERMIAS—idk what it stands for—and different colleges in the US tend to have their own branch of PERMIAS.
  • Academic clubs: Stuff like the American Society of Engineers, the [University Name] Physics Club, the Accounting Association, etc. Some clubs of these clubs may be open to all, like how my campus’s Physics club is open to non-physicists, but you can expect others to be more closed.
  • Spiritual/Religious clubs: Stuff like the Muslim Student Association, the [University Name] Catholic Club, etc. You can expect religious clubs to hold religious activities—like Mass, worship, Bible study—and other events like fundraisers, charity work, and food events like dinners together.
  • Music clubs: Piano Club, Guitar Club, [University Name] Band, [University Name] Symphony Orchestra, stuff like that. If you’re part of a college orchestra or band, you can expect this club to be more on the rigorous side. Expect spending long hours rehearsing, giving concerts, or performing during important school events and football games. On the other hand, you also have very chill clubs. The piano club I’m a part of is super chill, we just take turns playing piano and chill and chat with peeps in the background :joy: we sometimes host informal events too, like going out for dinner or boba tea.
  • Martial Arts: There’s the Kendo club, BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) club, Taekwondo club, the list goes on. The club can be competitive or chill, depending on the individual club or branch within a club. I know the Taekwondo club at my school is rather competitive and competes in competitions. On the other hand, some of my friends in the BJJ club are doing it more for fun and I doubt they’ll be competing in tournaments :joy:
  • Sports/Athletics: I have to admit that I’m not well-versed in this, but they’re similar to Martial Arts clubs in that they can be competitive or chill. Stuff like tennis, badminton, golf, you get the gist.
  • Dormitory Clubs: Yes, student dorms do have their own clubs. They’re quite chill from what I see. They mainly exist to bring communities closer together and their events are more on the fun side: free food, free treats, free food, clothing exchange, free food, making goodie bags, and free food. Yes there are a ton of free food events :joy: the dorm clubs on my campus at least get a lot of funding, which they can also use to get extra stuff added to dorms. I think it’s thanks to my dorm’s club that we got an electronic drum kit added to our music room? But yeah, if you love free food and free stuff and don’t want to walk out of your dorm to socialize, dorm clubs are great :blush:
  • Political/Social Science clubs: Yeah. I’m rather apolitical so those are the types of clubs that I’d avoid personally, but if you’re passionate about politics and social causes then those are the clubs for you :joy:
  • Advocacy/Support clubs: The [University Name] Feminist Association, The Anxiety Support Club, Mental Health Awareness Alliance, etc. Clubs like those. I can’t say much because I personally don’t have a lot of experience with them, but they have done some initiatives.

There are probably a ton of other categories that I’m missing but these are the ones off the top of my head :joy: there are also other miscellaneous clubs that I guess can fit into a Hobbyist category? Like a board game club, gaming club, anime club. The possibilities are nearly endless. As long as it’s not illegal, well, it can exist :joy:

Note that some clubs do have “sub-clubs”—that’s what I call them—so they’re like specific groups within each club focused on a certain task. I know the Catholic club on campus has their own organizations within the club, like one club is dedicating to racing—like using classroom knowledge to build a competition-worthy go-kart—and another club is focused on community service, and so on.

Clubs can also overlap between categories. The Indonesian Catholic club on my campus would fall under both the Cultural category and the Religious category :smile:

Keep in mind that I’m studying in the US so things may be different in other countries, but that’s all I know :joy:

2 Likes

Oooo thankie

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.