NEED STORY HELP (POV)

If I was to write a four-person POV story (four friends) but they had the same goal (to get a wrestling scholarship), how would I write it? Like over a three-act structure.

1 Like

Depends. How well do they know everyone is going for the same scholarship? Do all of them tell each other, 3 of them and 1 keeps it to themselves, or do they think about it and not speak up at first?

2 Likes

They know it because the Coach announces it.

1 Like

No, publicly announcing they are going to try for the scholarship. If everyone outright plans to be up front on trying for the scholarship then they all start out publicly trying to be fair. If none of them announce it immediately, then there’s no real competition when you start out, but if 1 of them holds back while the other 3 are open, then that one could be the one who sabotages most everyone else for a while.

2 Likes

Oh. Well I already know who that one person is going to be who holds back :wink:

1 Like

Ok, then a quick story arc would be:

1. Trying to play fair while 4th publicly supports them, even a POV chapter of the 4th talking about how good those 3 are.

2. Things start coming out about the 3 of the open ones, from further out friends, things that they thought no one knew, and it seems to point back to the other 2 contenders.

3. They figure out who is the cause: probably have 1 disqualified by this point, and the bad guy is way in the lead, and all 3 have to figure out a plan to take this jerk out.

4. Get rid the rat last minute, after a couple failures.

5. Have the last two continue the struggle in finals.

2 Likes

Okay, one question? Do they each have their own backstory? Like, is there a reason why there’s a need to have a 4-person POV? Like every MC has a story to tell? If they have the same goal, but walk on the same path, is it worth telling the story with four sets of eyes? Or do they have 4 different stories to tell that would lead them to one goal?

2 Likes

Realized, that wasn’t just one question. I guess it’s one question with several follow-ups lol

2 Likes

Yeah.

Mostly because I want to fill out the story to reach 50k for NaNo to be honest. And to add more drama and flesh it out.

To be honest, they have different stories and because I would genuinely be bored writing the same character for each chapter. It’s about four friends who want to reach their end goal; to get a scholarship for a college of their choice through wrestling.

1 Like

I see. I “participated” in NaNo before. I didn’t really finish the whole 50k-word goal. Just used the NaNo to motivate me to do something about my story.

I think it’s best that you separate the POVs into parts with the final part being a merging of the whole story, either through the eye of the champion or a Third-person omniscient narrative.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

It’s gonna be third person, alright. I don’t think that J is that interesting by himself. We need perspectives from R, W, and M to flesh it out more. They all have the same goal, and different paths, but they all merge in the end. So, it would be a chapter from J’s 3rd person perspective, then R, then W and M, etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.