Need World-building help for an Island City

I’m currently trying to flesh out the lore of the island where my modern day species, called Kshanggalin live in. (link to the species)

but basically

Anyways, I need some feedback over the stuff I do have right now and I’d love to know what stuff I’m missing and/or need to flesh out more.

I’ll make sure to credit you when I release the completed lore of the city!
I need location/historical lore help not the species. The Kshanggalin are the inhabitants but the lore help is not with them specifically.

1 Like

I will follow this thread closely, but I first must ask why are they like that?

1 Like

Hrm…

1 Like

So, Philippine lore would be a good place to start, since it’s part of the same area, and you’re going to have a quicker judgement of what will work, what won’t, and what’s misinformation.

Twist some of the mythological creatures to suit what the fictional world needs:

Learning to apply scientific biology principles to fake creatures:

Lore of the Philippines:

Overview of creation myths, by type:

Overview of national myths:

Anyway, once a quick decision is made over that type of thing, then people would have a greater idea of what would fit the background culture and the direction you’re going.

1 Like

Now, with your species, up there:

People are going to want to know:

How they rest.
What they eat.
Can they make do without their false legs?
Can we 3D print them lower legs?
What would they think of legless humans?
What they think of wheelchairs.
Lore can be lies about them, so what kind of lies would people make up about these creatures?

1 Like

They were cursed by magicborne (basically I lumped up all the magic users into that category, witches, wizards, sorcerers, bruhas, and etc… It’s part of their backstory that I wrote in this journal: A Surviving Ancestor’s Journal [COPY])

edit: here’s a comic-wip I made of the story warning there’s a bit of gore and daganronpa blood.
view here

1 Like

I actually already have lore for the species in here but some of those questions are actually interesting and I’d love to actually expand on them more in a more cohesive matter.

2 Likes

The Kshanggalin are based on the Manananggal, a Filipino vampire type creature. Because growing up I loved reading local mythos and they were one of my favorite, the second being the Kapre. Hence why the name etymology of the Kshanggalin is also similar to how the Manananggal were named.

Though I do like that creation myth wiki and I’ll give it a read along with the national myth, though since I’m world-building for a city not a nation it’ll probably be on a smaller scale.

2 Likes

NOTICE:
English is not my first language and thus some things might be worded too vaguely by me through a misunderstanding of what the sentence would sound like through a foreign lens or because I just fked up on the sentence structure.

I am looking for help with the world-building of the City of Talus, the Kshanggalin are just the main inhabitants of said island. I already have plans in store for that species but otherwise I’m leaving them alone for now.

2 Likes

Well, city building follows some distinct plans:

Organic:
This is where rivers and topography control main buildings, so districts aren’t fully segregated as it’s more like multiple townships grew together. That means that the town hall may be in town A, but the courthouse might be in town B. There will be roads that were once canals, a small farm stuck hapbazardly between two seperate business centers, a big national park between two living districts that the wildlife can live between. (All things I’ve lived in.) Roads up and down steep hills that are dangerous to ride down without brakes. Outsiders would call it all 1 city. Locals know which town they lived in, and would be slightly factional over it.

But this is the most lore-rich way to build a city. It also requires knowing where major landmarks are.

Planned:
Someone decided to plonk down a fully functional city layout that predates 90% of the settlers. It has a shape that means something to the building designers: layout of a pentagram, a cross, a strict grid, aligned to constellations, something about it that doesn’t suit topographical cities. Someone would go through and level out hills if they interfere with the plan. Tunnels would be made through even more severe structures (under rivers, through mountains). But there would be a business district (where businesses that aren’t needed for daily life would be). So, grocers would be almost anywhere, but w corporate tower would only be in the business district. Slaughterhouses would be in a designated area, downwind from the city. Farming would strictly be outside city limits. The sewage treatment would be down river.

Hybrid:
Older cities reach the point where you have to forcibly plan over the top of the existing organic city. Places like Paris did this: they widened the streets as best they could, which helped with sanitization. That means some buildings were torn down, some removed. Sometimes it’s a great fire, like London had: all the wooden buildings that were jammed together caught fire, and so the next layout in top of the skeleton of ashes was a more spaced out brick landscape.

Archaeological:
Sometimes there’s 7, 8 cities laid down on top of each other, and so you can fall through holes in the old dead city and wind up in places that are even below the sewers and cesspools, finding the original myths of the people.
You don’t have to stick to any single one of them. It can be a bit of everything, really. Just a thinking process for what you want to do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.