NeNuhWryMoh

Is it really a bad idea to go into NaNo with a rough outline and not really over-plan things and let things fall into place?

I’m asking because I see so many people overplan and then struggle with their projects, and want to give up because they trapped themselves into a super tight, claustrophobic box and now they wanna give up because they didn’t leave enough leeway for things to develop.

4 Likes

Totally fine if you think you can do it.

I have nothing but a kinda good enough blurb, a character name, a setting, a basic idea of beginning, middle and end, a cover, and some inspiration photos on Pinterest. Oh, and some lore figured out.

I always have about this much for NaNoWriMo.

Never lost.

4 Likes

That’s what I’m doing and I’m at around 850 words so far.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think I can do it.

Pinterest always helps.

I know what I wanna do loosely, making some notes here and there. And I am being inspired by some really strange Reggaeton album from 2009, which is helping me think in a weird way.

4 Likes

I got four badges today! How about you? ( ^◡^)っ

3 Likes

Aren’t you special? :open_mouth: !

3 Likes

The absolute minumum you need to write every day is a whopping 1700 words.

3 Likes

How is that whopping?

2 Likes

I’m not a long-winded writer. For me, on a good day, a 1100 words is a lot for me to write

3 Likes

You?

1 Like

Yeah. I’m a blunt writer.

1 Like

Same. Doesn’t mean I always skimp though.

1 Like

I tend to not describe things unless I have to, and I don’t slow down very much. I’m a go-go-go type of person, so doing Nano is going to make me stop and slow down for once when I write.

1 Like

It depends. I work better with a plan that’s outlined chapter by chapter. But, my outlines I’m willing to change if needed.

4 Likes

It’s how I usually do NaNoWriMo! I have a general sketchy outline of where I want the story to start, who the characters are, and roughly where I want the story to end, and everything else kinda just falls into place as I go. Planning too early is useless for me because the characters do what they want to do and it’s usually the opposite of what I want them to do!

4 Likes

honestly that might be the best way to go. Just let your imagination go free, get everything down on the page and give your creativity the reigns. Worry about plotting and etc. when you go to redraft. This is a method recommended by lots of authors like James Scott Bell and Stephen King. Have fun and good luck!

4 Likes

i am already behind :skull:

4 Likes

Not bad at all! DO IT. I only over planned this year because I’m rebelling and continuing my WIP - and it’s a dystopia urban fantasy so it needs massive world building.
Usually, I do go in with very very very little planning and just the over arching plot, and I’ve won 10 years in a row. GO FOR IT, enjoy the creativity! It’s good fun!

3 Likes

Plan schmlan. I do not plan unless forced. ~grumpypants

3 Likes

:smiley: Yay!

Fair enough.

Yeah, I like it when that happens and yeah, planning the characters actions too much is restrictive 'cause at the moment, I have two renegades and they’re bouncing off each

Thanks, I will have fun! I like being creative and yeah, the main editing can wait until the second half. I still need to edit an novella from ONC and rewrite that at some point as well.

That’s what my brencells say when I wake up early :flushed:

Fair enough about the overplanning part. Nothing wrong with being a NaNo Rebel either. You’re still being productive and going towards that goal.

Yes! Thank you! Creativity is fun! Good luck, btw.

Fair enough, JLOkins :smiley: I’m not usually one for planning but I want an idea of what to do and where to go for NaNo, lol.

4 Likes