ONC (Open Novella Contest) 2022 is officially a go! Pre-game chat

Guys, the announcement is up!

So excited!

https://www.wattpad.com/user/OpenNovellaContest/conversations

7 Likes

Lol. Do I want to do this to myself?

3 Likes

I’m doing it again! (my plan is to be done with my WIP before the end of February to focus on ONC after that) Although I was disappointed to not make the shortlist last year, the experience and camaraderie made up for for that.

I already have some ideas… hopefully, I can find a prompt that fit. But it’s also possible a completely new idea will pop up and seduce me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I really want to make longlist this year!

4 Likes

Me too! Or at least some kind of mention or list of amb picks for one of the rounds! (I didn’t make longlist either last year, I confused them in my head…)

3 Likes

I’m actually kinda torn on what I should write… I have ideas for a sequel as well as a prequel for Iguanatopia (my entry last year) but then I keep thinking “well, but the judges obviously didn’t like that story last year, so maybe I should write something else”. So my alternate direction would probably be to write something in the vein of the later stories I’ve written (Sweet Little Birds and Sweet Tea), so like a fluffy contemporary romance, possibly set in that universe but very freestanding.

4 Likes

Iguanotopia was a fun world. I dunno. I wouldn’t mind reading more set in that verse, but whatever you decide.

I have a couple of settings/characters floating around that I could try, like that alternative Roman Empire story or jazz era hotel or not-another-Russian story from me, lol.

5 Likes

I’m going to try to do it again! It will be my second time! (:

4 Likes

I did have a throwaway line about a pineapple heist, and I do kinda want to write that :slight_smile:

All those sound very interesting! Although the alternate Roman Empire definitely speak to me a lot.

So I guess we’re all just impatiently waiting for the prompts… They’re usually out on the 1st of Feb right?

4 Likes

Gosh its so soon. I think I can get something written in that amount of time if I enjoyed the idea enough, but I’d have to put my WIP on the backburner for a couple months. I’m a bit worried about doing that and still having the inspiration to come back to it over the summer.

But, I have a story idea I could use. Basically a reimagining of my first ever story. My little tagline for it is: In an apocalyptic world where the last humans are doomed to die by the time they’re 21, two artists preserve the last faces of humanity with paint made from the blood of radioactive plants. I still adore the idea, so if there’s a prompt that fits it, I’ll definitely do ONC ahaha. Otherwise, I’ll just have to see if inspiration strikes.

3 Likes

Yup! I need to finish my short story pronto so I could publish it for February 14th without worrying about doing it in the middle of the ONC. :slight_smile:

My AU-Roman idea goes something like: One lowly gladiator, a blue-eyed barbarian, can’t topple the all-powerful Empress, no way, no how…unless the second man–the Champion of Champions and his bitterest opponent in everything–joins forces with him.

2 Likes

I was in that position last year. It was hard to return to my WIP, particularly because my ONC quickly became a novel. In the end, it cost me not entering my WIP into Watty and reworking Lone Werewolf. But I did enter and shortlisted the former ONC novella as a novel. Lol.

This year, I specifically cleared my desk. I am not starting to edit that last year’s WIP and LW until after ONC for Watty, and ONC is only allowed to be a novella, period. Dunno how I will do in either Watty or ONC though.

4 Likes

Time to add ONC to my list of to-do’s today :joy: I didn’t even realize it was put up already and I was just thinking about it last night lol

2 Likes

I’m going to have to read the prompts, and if I don’t like them, I won’t do it.

3 Likes

Prompts are not up yet, but they said it’s coming!

2 Likes

I don’t have a solid plan of entering yet, but I’ll read the prompts and see if any of them really stand out to me!

Though even if one does stand out and I just can’t not write it, I probably will take it very easy and not make it a priority. It sucked last year to put a lot of work into worldbuilding and polishing my story and hitting all their requirements to not even make it past the first round. I am aware there were a LOT of awesome entries given to relatively few judges; it still sucked :joy:

2 Likes

My goal is to always have the whole novella finished before the first round results are announced because then I have novella even if i didn’t qualify. Last year a couple of entries I thought were going to be like round winners didn’t make it, while far less proficient entries did, which upset me, I’m not gonna lie. But ambassadors are humans. They have their preferences, I have mine.

I also have my own list of the 3 stories I liked the most (Domi’s winners, lol) from super charged rounds of reading ONC while writing. I actually only recently finished reading the last one, heh. So, ready to pick the new stack once ONC goes live and I hope clubs will pop up again.

6 Likes

I still need to finish writing last year’s ONC :joy: - They made a mistake and didn’t have me listed as qualifying for one of the rounds, and by the time an ambassador reached out to correct the error, there was only a week left before the contest was over and I didn’t end up finishing :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Yeah, I had a lot of the same thoughts! With my own story, I’ve tried to stay open to the idea that it just sucked, but there were a lot of other hopefuls that I was really surprised to see not make it. And there were some that did pass several rounds that were not my cup of tea. So yeah, I think you’re right that some of it was just ambassador preference. Which isn’t a bad thing, but it’s definitely not something easy to predict.

Yeah same!! I love the creativity that goes around in ONC. Even the first couple of years where I didn’t feel anything from the prompts and therefore didn’t write, I still looked forward to the contest because it’s so nice to read the cool things people come up with

2 Likes

I think this is a good strategy! Because at the end of the day, it’s not really about the contest but about getting inspired to write a new story :slight_smile:

But I do hope that they may have polished the judging for this year because I felt the same as you in terms of which stories made it through or not.

3 Likes