ONC (Open Novella Contest) 2022 is officially a go! Pre-game chat

Don’t edit! Just write! I know this is probably easier said than done but for the ONC I think the best way to get through is to not look back until it’s done.

2 Likes

If the first round was checking basic grammar though, why did so many stories with grammar catastrophes get through? :see_no_evil: I thought it was ambassadors judging the whole way through?

2 Likes

To be fair, I predict that they have criteria on which to dump a story. If they’re reading it and they’re hating it, they’re not going to finish the full wordcount.

2 Likes

I might just have lucked out last year as well (so I will have to eat up patting myself on the back about keeping my word count…)

I did think SLB was going to be 30-40k, it’s 92k (and has two spinoffs so far). So I may not be great at judging this.

3 Likes

I don’t know. I saw a couple with clunky grammar, but I don’t think those were the kind of errors that an automatic software can pick up. It was just, you know, not really competent writing.

2 Likes

It would make less work for both the judges and the writers to eliminate early though. On the judges’ side - well, that’s obvious. On the writers’ side, if they don’t have a chance to begin with, might as well rip off the band-aid early before they get too far in the weeds and their expectations become crazy high?

5 Likes

That could be it too. That’s why round 1 is so relaxed. Plus, it keeps more people interested in the outcome of the competition.

2 Likes

Well, the thing is, I do both. I don’t have a problem writing it within the timeframe, but the longer it is, the more editing I’ll put it through and I already have too many projects that need editing.

2 Likes

I saw some that got through that didn’t know how to punctuate basic dialogue. Which is usually an immediate criteria for me to drop a story (but yes, may be harder for a bot to judge if the bot can’t tell the difference between an action and dialogue tag).

2 Likes

I hope you will hit just right word count this time again.

1 Like

I was honestly more bugged by entries that were very basic in terms of content that made it as far as the longlist. But! My Domi’s top 3 picks pretty much all did very well and one was the Grand Winner, with the exception of 2 entries that got cut off in round 1. I think one was just too mature, and I think they just cut off anything they see as problematic at the onset. Not sure what they didn’t like with the second one, but maybe it had a bit of an unclear beginning? I am not sure.

1 Like

While on the topic, I wanted to plug in the stories that were my top 3 and why.

For me, the best one was the Knife’s Tale, because it had just amazing premise and held the plot together right through the end. I just loved that one.

The second was Rebeca Smyth, Witch in Training, with great writing and the conflict continually build up something on the order of jaw dropping. For me the very ending spoiled it somewhat feeling like a fluffy MG, while the story was deeper.

And, the grand winner, Last Werewolf, I think here is where reading the whole thing when it goes over 20K makes a difference. It has an outstanding writing and wonderful onset, but for me, it started to fall off from the midpoint with an ending that didn’t seem to belong with the story. It just told me that the story I had read, and guesses I was trying to make wasn’t really needed, you know?

3 Likes

I’m looking at last year’s stats. There are actually more Fantasy than Romance stories!
Wow.
And sci-fi has a nice representation.

Now, let’s look at the winners (guessing from story tags):
Paranormal.
Fantasy/paranormal.
Sci-fi.
Chicklit
Historical fiction.

Considering that it doesn’t match the typical Wattpad popular genres, it seems that writers that participate either choose to do something different than what they normally do, or those uber-popular authors simply don’t participate in this contest.

hmmm

5 Likes

I had this book in the book club. I agree. It’s a good read (and fit within a novella!).

2 Likes

Yes, if I can at least hit the scope as well as the author did there, I would be happy.

2 Likes

Yes.
That’s why I want to write the snail story. I don’t expect it to get very long. What I really want to achieve is to provide an explanation to how teleporting snails made their way to the Earth Realm. It should be a piece of cake, right?

On the other hand, I don’t know. I don’t have a plot for it, just my snail’s dating site profile:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I might participate this year… Not sure if I can keep up because of school and work tho but we’ll see haha

4 Likes

Well, not that I could go off of me, but I’d be more inclined to test the waters with a shorter fantasy in that kind of competition.

4 Likes

The 2021 rulebook is officially gone now! I imagine we’ll see the new rulebook coming soon

4 Likes

Haven’t been on Wattpad in a long while. Only ONC can get me started again, lol.

3 Likes