Post your novel idea into one sentence

Hey everyone, I want to try something with you which is a tip I got from another writer by the name of Jerry Jenkins, to get you started with your novel.

One of his suggestions is that you try to narrow down your novel into one sentence to see if it would catch readers’ attention. So try thinking about it and post a reply with your own ‘one sentence’ novel idea and others can comment on which would spark their interest and which would not.

Here’s mine:

‘A betrayed Assassin has to choose between vengeance or love.’

8 Likes

Perfectionist Teenager Explores the Dream Dimension

5 Likes

Idiot immortal forgets to destroy the items so the mistake comes back to haunt her

3 Likes

Did you find it easy to sum it up in one sentence? I had to give it a few tries, haha.

4 Likes

An amnesiac pirate who lost everything wants to reclaim it all back along with his memories.

Welp…I tried.

4 Likes

Same here.

2 Likes

Typical ShE’s DiFfErEnT heroine and young Alpha do the “epic story” to have reality strip the story from them to show the “not so happily ever after” of pack life and the Goddess’ manipulation.

That’s the one I want to get back on, soon. It needs to be finished.

4 Likes

A ghostie hostie meets the one he loves the mostie!

5 Likes

I usually follow Lisa Cron’s or Save the Cat technique making them a bit longer than that.

My current WIP will be something like this:

Wounded by his mother’s betrayal, a Milwaukee firefighter doesn’t accept human failings until he saves a redhead from a burning hotel and falls in love with her—but he must do so now, if he’s to unmask the arsonist obsessed with marrying her.

5 Likes

It’s harder than it looks. The tip Jerry Jenkins gave was to first write a page about the theme of your novel and then reduce it until you end up with one sentence.

2 Likes

Good one haha :smiley:

2 Likes

Hah yeah, I made it rhyme :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s mainly an exercise to grasp the ‘center’ of your story. It’s not the same as giving a short description of it. I always struggle saying what my novel is about when people ask me what I’m writing about so I found it fun to think about putting it into one sentence.

1 Like

In a post-apocalyptic future, a defiant artist preserves the last faces of humanity with paint made from the blood of mutated plants.

I actually wrote this before I started the book, ahaha. It came to me rather easily, though I did end up making some tweaks to it as the story changed.

But for my current WIP? I’ve been trying to write one for it since I started back in 2016 and have yet to find one that fits :joy: some books come far easier than others.

5 Likes

That’s true. I have been working on mine for longer than I would like to admit but I did finally grasp the essence of what I am trying to write haha.

1 Like

I think I find details more useful, but for my story, I would say it’s

A fireman and an arsonist wrestle for the heart of the arsonist’s favourite victim.

4 Likes

I found it easy, but we do exercises like this in class ;-;

1 Like

In 2009, a chaos-lover boy teams up with the adventurous new girl to stop a supernatural scheme of dog-headed slaves while figuring out new creatures of a world called The Unknown.

2 Likes

A sympathetic lesbian divorcee houses a woman fleeing an arranged marriage, and things get complex when she falls in love with the woman running away.

3 Likes

A misguidedly idealistic high school student founds a club to teach his classmates philosophy; when it becomes a cult, he must change course before the whole school drinks the Kool-Aid.

1 Like