Productive Lifestyle is needed and wanted.

Hey, there!

I will be the first to admit that I SUCK majorly at staying and being productive whether it is pertaining to writing and life in general.

I would rather be so lazy and comfortable with it that because nothing else truly matters. Doing nothing is just one of those things that I only know. Therapy will do greatly for me, especially strict therapy.

Anyway, I don’t take things seriously, but I am in need of productivity in both writing and lifestyle.
It like being bored, lazy, and content with doing nothing is just fine with me. Half of me does not think that it is fine while the other half is content and that other half is winning this war.

Moving on, I am going to need some strict tips of how to be productive at home and outside of home.
It is tiring being me and living this life.

I don’t mean to burden you all with my problems because I normally feel it is best to speak to a professional on the matters of me.

So, how do you stay productive at home and outside of home?

Lend me your thoughts!

3 Likes

I’m not the best at this either.

The way I do it is pile things up until I need to stress through it like, “Oh my gosh I have so many things to do! And I have so many things to do! And I have… :melting_face:” And then I somehow do one and feel better. I somehow cry through another and feel better. Before I know it, I’m done with my stressful tasks.

Or be incredibly stubborn. Like, “I am going to write today, gosh darn it, and brain, there’s no time to be having this writer’s block. You are going to add words to the thing. Go on now!”

The latter is what I’m doing today.

As you can see, I practically torture myself to get things done XD

On the more helpful side, some people find it productive to make lists and cross them off as they go through their day or week.

3 Likes

I tried this method and it doesn’t stick.
Luckily, I was able to change my bedsheets because it needed to be changed.

Like when I know I have to do stuff, I physically can not will myself to do it.
I would much rather do absolutely nothing but laze around because again that is all I know.

Sorry for getting heavy I am just mad at myself.

2 Likes

I heard that it takes two weeks to form a habit.

1 Like

I mean I can try again seeing as how I have nothing to lose and more to gain.

It is better than nothing.

1 Like

I am a busy-body by nature. If something is bugging me, I switch activity. Also, I want things, so visualizing the success always helps me to get moving or overcome pain/exhaustion etc. I also work on curbing negative talk as soon as I recognize it. Like, if I think, “I am so effing tired,” I would catch myself and go, “you are okay, you are okay, stop pitying yourself.”

Like, i think people are under impression that I complain a lot, but that’s my way of not stopping and feeling for a way forward, like a little insect with its antennas. I need to see the light in the distance and walk toward it. And not stop. If I stop, I would drop.

I have this horrendous fear of losing everything and eking out existence on the streets, all alone, in miserable conditions. It also helps me to shake myself and just keep doing stuff.

Oh, yeah. Accepting own mediocrity. I had to re-do it quite often, but it also helps. Like, once I accept that nothing incredible awaits me, just what I already have, and it ain’t bad, just not stellar, it’s easier. Like, walking in the park your whole life instead of winning Olympic sprint is fine. And better than not walking at all.

being outside every day. If it’s too cold, gym, skating rink and swimming pool. Music, light, high ceilings of it.

1 Like

Try for two weeks.

This is a weird example but, skin care. I never did skin care cream before because I didn’t think I needed it and I didn’t think I could continue it. I would apply cream once and then feel lazy and never do it again. So, 4 months ago, I tried the “two weeks to make a habit”.

It’s right. I made it a habit.

I feel weird if I don’t do it now and I managed to finish a bottle of cream for the first time in my life XD

I know it’s a weird example, but you get the idea. I think you should give it a try. It will be hard in the beginning though. I always keep my skin care things next to my toothpaste because I look in that vicinity in the morning and at night and never miss it.

Put a piece of paper and pen on top of your computer or phone or pillow or clothes or wherever you look a lot to remind yourself to do it.

1 Like

If you find the task of making a list daunting, try to pair it with other tasks. I knew I wouldn’t want to do skin care for the sake of it. I find it such a waste of time. I cannot understand how people spend so much time and money on skin care :stuck_out_tongue: Personally, that’s my thought. Anyway, I do it at the same time I brush my teeth so it becomes like one whole task.

So, maybe you make a list while eating breakfast or while getting dressed or something.

1 Like

Thanks so much.

I shall do that. I already have a To Do list and some sticky notes lying around that I will put to good use.

Because I truly need this.

I am 31 soon to be 32 and I need this badly.

1 Like

Oh hey! We’re close in age :wink:

I’m 29 going on 30.

1 Like

Awesome!

I am sure some people on here would think that I was younger by my comments.

LOL!

1 Like

I am very bad at that.

I always talk badly about myself which not a good thing. I am a good person (could be better), but I do try hard enough.

Is it weird that I sometimes think about this? Like I often think about what would happen if I lost everything I love and end up in a situation where I can’t do the things that brought me joy. I do love my alone time, but I don’t want to be too lonely either.

1 Like

I never think about people’s ages in here. You just seem like you look at the world with fresh eyes and are curious about people all the time and excited about things. Just seems younger, but not in an age way.

Young mind, maybe :stuck_out_tongue: Either that, or I’m way too serious XD I like how you always have questions to ask and are curious about what everyone will say. I’m over here like “let’s have a serious discussion about why this or that”.

You know what? It’s a cheesy thing to say, but age doesn’t define us.

1 Like

For me is that I never got over a shock of the Soviet system collapse. In the West, it’s just too easy to literally be thrown out and nobody would give a damn. I’ve been scared of it for 30 years. The isolation is even worse now, being an immigrant of a Russian descent. It’s just a nightmare and sometimes it’s hard to move forward.

1 Like

Oh wow!
So, with you it goes much deeper?

I am really sorry to hear that.

I like to think of it as me being young at heart and spirit.
LOL!

1 Like

Exactly :wink:

1 Like

“Let’s do a motivational productivity post!”

2 Likes

LOL!

Being productive means something different to everyone. Personally, to me, being productive is just doing things (chores or otherwise) and not laying around the house, doing nothing. So, small things like taking a shower, brushing my hair, reading and writing, putting clothes away, or going shopping makes me feel productive because if I didn’t do those things, I’d feel too lazy.

But being productive for you may look different.

However, if you’re trying to ease into productivity, my best advice is to start off with small tasks and a reward system. When I think of bigger tasks for myself, it’s usually things like cleaning the house, reading 100 pages, shop for a full week’s worth of food, etc. But these usually drain my energy, so I try to be small with my goals. Instead of cleaning the whole house, I start with my room. Instead of reading 100 pages, I try to read 30. Instead of shopping for five or seven days of food, I decide to go after three nights worth. Then I have a reward system, which isn’t big either. Like, for cleaning and reading, I may decide to spend that time on TikTok or watching YouTube or a movie. If I’m shopping, I may buy ice cream or chocolate milk or something yummy to eat, or maybe I even decide to buy tacos for dinner instead of cooking.

Now, like you, I’m all for loving the lazy life. However, you also have to be determined enough, or disciplined, or at least have a line drawn you can’t cross, so you become forced to be productive. Like, for me, when I start doing these things, it’s because I know they won’t ever get done. Not to mention, I’ll end up fighting with my sisters over it because they don’t want to do it either. Like, they already expect me to go shopping for the week (as that is part of our agreement—my oldest sister pays the main bills and I pay for groceries). If I don’t buy groceries, we don’t have food in the house. My little sister ends up whining because she’s hangry, and my oldest sister starts yelling at me because she’s also hangry. So, there’s that line drawn that I can’t cross. I am forced to get food whether I like it or not.

Another thing I have to do that makes me feel productive is checking my car’s fluids. Once every week or two, I have to make sure my parent’s van has enough fluids because there is a coolant leak that’s never been fixed. If I don’t refill the coolant every week or so, the car won’t run. Also meaning that I won’t be able to get to work or anywhere else. But it makes me feel productive to do it when I can because I usually put it off or forget about it. It’s something I can check off my list.

That’s basically what you’re going for, too. Create a list of things that makes you feel productive. It can be a mixture of things that you need to do and things you want to do that aren’t simple chores. Like, I also find watching YouTube videos from my favorite YouTubers productive, or taking the dogs to the dog park, or watching a new movie that came out that I wanted to see (whether on a streaming service or at the theater). But you don’t just want to be like, “Oh, I have this to do, I’ll check it off the list.” Because, like you said, it may not always work. Especially if there’s too many things. You want the list to be small enough so it’s not overwhelming, but you also want to be determined enough to try to finish it.

Another thing to think about is your discipline. Most of the time, all the answers lead to that: discipline. If you don’t discipline yourself, you won’t get things done. Nothing gets done and you’re stuck at a brick wall. You need to learn how to tell yourself, “No, I’ll do it.” You need to find ways to motivate yourself each day to set and try to achieve these goals. But you also need to forgive yourself if those goals aren’t met for the day. Whenever I don’t read or write or don’t put my clothes away, I don’t beat myself up over it. I just say, “Oh, I’ll try again next weekend.” And then during the week, I plan my days out to try to force myself to get things done.

Creating discipline also comes from routine. If you do something enough for a long time, specifically at a certain time (day and or time of day), it becomes engrained in your mindset. For example, trash day. Just before my sister and I moved in together, we never had to deal with trash day because it was either our parents that dealt with it when we lived in houses/apartments, etc. or we just threw it in a dumpster at the hotel we lived at. But now that we live in a house, we have to make sure the trash is all gathered on Thursday night, put it in our small dumpster, and take it to the curb for the garbage truck to pick it up on early Friday morning. If we don’t do it, they never pick it up and then it gets piled on, and when it gets piled on, we have to pay extra for each bag. So, it’s become a routine of ours to make sure everything is all set on Thursday night before we all go to bed. It’s been once a week for the past three years, so it’s become a routine. Now, of course, there have been a few times here and there when we forget to do it. Usually it’s because we’re too busy or too exhausted from long days at work. But we typically don’t accumulate a lot of trash to overflow our small dumpster thing, so we don’t go crazy over it.

Also, having a want can help you feel a bit more productive when setting these goals. Like, when I said reading and writing makes me feel productive, that’s because the end goal is a major want for me. I want to be published one day, so I have to write, finish, and revise my story. And I want to read every book I own, so I have to try to read a little each day or whenever possible, so I can. Or, for my physical health, I want to lose weight, so I try to exercise whenever possible and try to eat healthier.

Overall, you have to look at it from the big picture: without doing such things, there’s consequences. But when doing them, there’s a little bit of success.

I mean, I’m never motivated to wake up at 7am for work. But I have to go and be productive or otherwise, I lose my job. Can’t have that because I need the money. I’m never motivated to clean, but I have to or otherwise, the house will be a mess. We’ll also track in spiders and bugs if the bathroom or kitchen isn’t cleaned. I’m never motivated to mow the lawn, but I have to or otherwise, the city will give us a letter saying that we have to or they’ll send someone to mow it for us and then we have to pay whatever price for it. I’m never motivated to do laundry or put my clothes away, but I have to or otherwise, I don’t have clean clothes for the week and my cat will pee on my dirty clothes pile and I don’t want to give him ideas. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like