RFloetry's Art Thread

I have no idea what tags to use for this. I decided to make my own thread as I practice drawing by using my OCs as my muses. Thought it’d be a good way to see progress too. Assuming I practice enough that the thread doesn’t eventually close itself. :laughing:

Re-posting some of the ones I posted elsewhere. Rough concepts for James Baxter, and Theodore (Theo) Fratto.

:arrow_up: I hated this one so I decided to try something different. :arrow_down:

I think I’m on the right track now with the color blocking. I kinda winging it, but I’m open for tips if anyone wants to offer. :smiley:

4 Likes

you’re so good?? i’m literally in love with james. your style is :sparkles:
wouldn’t call it a tip, but i shade/color block really roughly (i personally like the style of it) and pretty loose if that makes any sense? here’s some art of mine where i think you can tell what i mean? hopefully, at least. but regardless i agree that you’re on the right track, it looks super good so far :revolving_hearts:
(i hope you were okay with others posting, since you said you were okay with tips!)

2 Likes

You found some good references, like the cel shading.

1 Like

To be fair, I traced the line work from photos until I get the hang of drawing freehand. :grimacing: I haven’t drawn freehand in years, but this is the last thing I drew like a month ago that was no tracing. Not an OC of mine, a fanart of Hades.

https://twitter.com/rachelsfloetry/status/1552715501511577608

I love your character! Gasp! And the way you shade/color block. I think that’s what I’m aiming for, but I’m winging it at this point. My eyes kind of get confused when there’s color, and I remember my professor used to tell us to simplify our references by making them gray-scale. This way it’s easier to see the shadows without being distracted by the colors. So that’s what I’m trying. Playing with the brush settings too. Your hair looks so good! I can’t draw hair yet. :sob:

And thanks for the tip! Bring it on! All the tips! :muscle:

2 Likes

Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

we have to learn somehow! i personally trace anatomy with 3d models and go from there — i haven’t 100% freehanded anatomy in quite some time to be honest.

and that’s super good!!! my statement about your style is still true, very :sparkles:

and thank you!! yeah, i find color to be Much harder than b/w honestly? grayscale is somehow a lot easier and fun for me, and a lot of people do suggest doing it that way first and then adding color to it, maybe that’d be worth a shot? (also i am terrible at hair don’t let that fool you, the less hair there is the more likely i can fake it)

what tools do you use to draw ;o?

1 Like

Thank youuuu. :hugs: I appreciate the encouragement.

Right now I’m using Photoshop. I used to draw by hand, scan it in, and then color/ink on PS, but now I’m trying to draw directly in PS. I’ve seen other programs that I’m curious about exploring. Tried Sai once years ago. How about you?

2 Likes

you’re very deserving of the encouragement and more :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

interesting! personally, i never could get into drawing in photoshop - and i use photoshop all the time for other stuff, so theoretically it should have been easy to adapt to but i just didn’t like the feel of it for some reason. sai is a great program! though if i need to draw on pc, my go-to nowadays has been medibang, really solid program and worth a try :]

i personally use procreate on an ipad right now though ^^

2 Likes

Fighting with Photoshop brushes today. Trying to put shadows on Theo was becoming a nightmare. I hate the way it looks. :weary: So I decided to simplify the colors to flat. One shadow, one base, and some highlights. But the brushes!!! Every time I turn off “transfer” in settings it turns itself back on as soon as I use the brush. :angry: I’m trying to turn off when the brush has opacity changes based on pen pressure, so when I use the brush, it’s a solid color/weight. Grr. I used to have a class for digital painting years ago in school. Maybe I should search for any notes I might have on that. :thinking:

1 Like

So I’m giving up on this rough draft of Theo. I think it’s best I try a different reference, maybe something simpler in terms of light/shadow. I started trying do all this blending and it looked like garbage. Then I went for a more simplified version. His curly/wavy hair is a nightmare. :cry:

Version that’s better, but I’m moving on bc screw this one haha :laughing: :sob:

2 Likes

I got so angry at my Theo failure, I decided to have fun, and draw some fan art. Still tracing. Tried downloading some new brushes, and they work well so far. Hades from Lore Olympus.

https://twitter.com/rachelsfloetry/status/1575570636210339840

1 Like

Do you like drawing animals?

1 Like

I used to draw them all the time. My dog. Horses. Owls. Dragons… dragons count, right? :laughing: :dragon: I haven’t drawn any recently though. :thinking:

1 Like

I think it would be cool if you drew a shiba inu pup

1 Like

What a coincidence! My dog is a shiba inu. :smile: I haven’t drawn her in years. Maybe I should. :wink:

2 Likes

Drawing is going badly. Very painful. Trying to just focus on drawing eyes/expressions, and I am SO bad. I used to draw stuff all the time years ago, where my professor kept asking me if I wanted to change my major to animation, and now I can’t even draw two proper eyeballs! :sob: This is hard. I know I have to force myself or I won’t improve, but damn, getting through the, “I hate everything I’m drawing” part is not fun. :weary:

1 Like

1 Like

That’s an interesting way to draw them. :thinking: I’ll try it. I think my problem is trying to draw expressive eyes. Like I’m even looking at expressions and sometimes having a hard time trying to replicate them. I was trying to freehand but it looks like I still have a lot of tracing in my future. :eyes:

1 Like

The work of Yuko Tatsushima is very expressive

1 Like

Take this

1 Like