Share your character names and how you came up with them.

The family names in my protagonist’s family are all just Russian words that mean something and in a combination with their last name form the following name cluster:

Taina Wolkova (mother of the protagonist): Secret of the Wolves

Protagonist: Volya Wolkov: Will of the Wolves
His two sisters: Nadzhda and Kramola, respectively are Hope and Dissent of the Wolves

At the end of the novel, the siblings’ names are put together like this:

What’s Hope without Will to advance it? What’s Will if it’s not tried by Dissent?

2 Likes

I would so butcher that.

1 Like

My favorite character names come from my TriRealm universe since they’re all themed.
Namely, almost all demon names are derived from different types of quartz (though later I added other gems as well), and human names are derived from glassworking terms. And since I have half demon half human characters, they get both.

For example, Tristine Filigrana.
Trystine is a quartz. Filigrana is a colorless glass.

Or, for bad guys, I used names of radioactive rocks and minerals within them.

For example, Mick Rockline.
Microcline is a mineral found in igneous rocks.

And for dragon descendants, I chose names of minerals and rocks leftover from volcanic eruptions.

For example, Tephra or Larimar.

My process is:

1. Choose a theme
  2. Research words within that theme, make a long list.
  3. Later when you’re writing, if you need a character, check which words from the list you didn’t use yet.

And that’s it.

3 Likes

Theming is very important and fun.

1 Like

It is but it also takes a big chunk of the stress out. You’re not stuck endlessly searching for names. You have a list, you pick what fits the character, and bam, move on to actual writing.

1 Like

I tried saying it and I don’t even know if I said it right.
Now, I feel bad.

I feel nothing over something like that. I grew up in Cajun French areas. Don’t try to pronounce words in New Orleans. You can get it right and they would still correct you. Lol

2 Likes

Yeah, true.
The person can correct me.

AHAHA I’m a Tamilian. You know you’re Tamilian if you look at names like that and don’t even flinch.

1 Like

I feel the same way about the phrase “Don’t eat the dead ones.”

2 Likes

Ooh yours are really interesting!

Sara: I needed a name that sounded western and Indian both, based on the character backstory. And it was a long search until I came to this.

Malika: This was originally meant to be a term of enderment the LI used to refer to Sara, but when I did an overhaul of the plot, I realized this character doesn’t really have a name (she had many, but they weren’t hers, they were titles more than names - this person is a god’s vessel), and she had now turned into the LI, so I decided this was going to be it.

Tvesha: He’s the god of fire, and this is one of the words for fire in my native language.

2 Likes

I get names from everywhere, sometimes out of “thin air.”

For my current work in progress (a sci-fi fantasy)… and be prepared to read a lot lol.

Nicolas - he’s the main character. His name has always been the same since the start of it all (I came up with the story back in 2015, let it simmer in my head up until November of 2019 where I started writing it), and although I’ve considered renaming him for multiple reasons…

Those reasons...

Before writing the book, I was about to change him into a girl and name her Nicole, but the story just wasn’t the same because I wanted a male character, not a female as there’s too many female characters in YA fantasy (and also because I had always seen the main character as a guy). I was also going to rename him for cultural reasons since he’s technically Egyptian/Algerian, but the story takes place thousands of years into the future where there really isn’t such a thing as Egypt or Algeria or any other nationality as the Earth had been destroyed. Many of my characters were named randomly in the book that doesn’t necessarily match up with cultural backgrounds besides being cultural in the story (as in the fake cultures I created). There will be names that will be similar, if not the same, for those particular cultures, along with many other African/South American/Japanese, etc. cultures.

…but I kept it as Nicolas because it just suited him, honestly. :woman_shrugging: However, I used the name because it’s one of my favorite male names. xD

Prisylla - she’s also a main character who is part of Nicolas’s crew. Her name has been the same since the concept as well. I came up with it based on the nickname I gave her (Sylla) which is a reference to the show Prison Break (but in the show, it’s written as “Scylla,” and it’s not a person—it’s a data file that contains personnel files). I liked the name that I wanted to use it as a person, and when I needed one for the book… BOOM. Used it as a nickname and added “Pri” in it to make it more feminine sounding.

Donni - also a main character who is part of Nicolas’s crew. His name, I think, was changed when I started outlining. I don’t remember if it was originally that or something similar. But I got the name through Donnie Wahlberg (Mark Wahlberg’s brother, starred in a show I watched when I started the story called Blue Bloods, also was part of a famous 1980s boy band called New Kids on the Block). I liked his name, so used it.

Annika - another main character, part of the crew. Her name has been the same since the concept. The name came from a little girl who I sort of met at the time. Back in 2015, my little sister was in second grade, so I’d walk to the bus stop to get her from the school bus. As I waited for her, I’d wait with other parents and guardians. One of them was an older woman who I talked to a lot. She waited for her granddaughter and would talk about her, sometimes allowing my sister to come over to hang with her. One time, she mentioned her granddaughter’s name, and it was Annika. I really loved the name—I’d never heard such a name before—so I decided to put it in the story.

North - also part of the main cast and crew. His name had changed. In fact, I think I didn’t even have such a character in the original concept? Truthfully, his name isn’t very special and I needed something. In the story, he was just born in the north… and well, ta-da. xD

Niel - main cast and crew. Name has been the same since the concept. I came up with it due to a mistake. His original name was going to be Neil, but I accidentally wrote it as Niel and kind of liked the pronunciation for it (N-eye-el) instead of plain old Neil (N-ee-l).

River-rose - main cast and crew. Name has been the same since the concept. I named her after Kelly Clarkson’s daughter (am a huge fan of Kelly, and I loved how she named her child).

Stephani - main cast and crew, last one actually. Name has been the same since the concept. I needed a name and liked the way this was written besides the other ways (Stephenie/Stephanie).

Victoria - she’s also a main character, but she’s the villain. Or at least, one of them anyway. Her name has been the same since the concept and I originally thought of it through the magical beings she created: Victorians. When I came up with this both, I wasn’t thinking of the Victorian era and how that all started (my eighteen year old self didn’t really put two and two together when the Victorian era was created by Queen Victoria). Back in 2015, I was writing the story through Wattpad and someone commented about it and I was like, “Huh… interesting.” xD Because seriously, I just liked the name Victorian and thought it would be ironic that the magical beings (called the Victorians) were named after their queen… Victoria. Haha. Then again, I knew what the Victorian era was and all, but I wasn’t (and still isn’t) the brightest tool in the shed. xD

Fara - part of the main cast, and not really part of Nicolas’s crew but eventually becomes one. She’s a Victorian who ran away from her people because she realized she was a slave to Victoria, a weapon. But that made her a threat and an outcast. Her name has been the same since the concept, and, quite frankly, I don’t remember how I named her. At the time, I drew a picture of what a Victorian would look like…

You can see that here...

…And the name just came to me. She looked like a Fara to me. xD

Nibulé - also part of the main cast. She’s an alien creature, a princess, called a Koelegian. Her name (at least, the way it’s written) actually changed while I was writing the book (I think I changed it sometime last year, or in 2020), because the way I pronounced it (N-eye-beu-lay) didn’t sound right as I originally wrote her name as Nibule (the E has no accent). I didn’t think readers would pronounce it correctly if it didn’t have the accent, so I was hoping that by adding it, it’d help. :sweat_smile: I honestly don’t remember how I came up with it. I think I was trying to be fantastical about it and just put random words together. Haha.

Hiroko - she’s part of the main cast and she wasn’t in the original concept. I added her in during my outline because I changed the main part of the story (originally, Nicolas was going to defeat Victoria, but that would mean he becomes the “chosen one” and I didn’t want him to be, so Hiroko becomes the “chosen one” even though the story isn’t about her… necessarily). She’s part Koelegian and part (technically speaking) Japanese. Her name was created as I tried to figure out a way to create a Japanese sounding name through the inspiration of Avatar: the Last Airbender lol.

Jamie and Kitar’a - both are minor characters and were not part of the original concept. Jamie’s name was as simple as pulling a name from a hat (didn’t actually happen, but you get the gist). Kitar’a, on the other hand, is a reference to Katara in Avatar: the Last Airbender.

Borris - he’s technically part of the main cast, but acts as a minor character. He’s a dragon, by the way. The name has been the same since the original concept and it was thought up because… it just sounded like a dragon’s name to me. xD

Serene - a minor character who was not in the original concept. She’s a siren and came up with her name because of the word “serenity,” but she’s the exact opposite of that.

I have a ton of other names from the book—heck, even series—but I’m gonna stop there. :sweat_smile: Just thought a lot of the main and some minor characters could use some spotlight.

2 Likes

marcelline de la cruz - ok so her grandmother’s name was marcella, and her mother wanted her to have some sort of connection with her dead grandma.

michele - well that’s her true name in the galaxy she’s from lol

2 Likes

Most of my characters don’t really have a story behind their names. They just picked their names and I can’t really question them :joy:

Names with no backstory whatsoever:
Tell: Olivia, Riley, Sophie, Sav, Elisa

Shelter: Naida, Elora, Wynn, Cillian, Ambrose, Cora, Aspen, Luella, Olive, Zephyr (aka basically every character)

Serpent in the Shadows: Blair, Fionnula, Alette, Iara, Eyla

Untitled: Elm, Romilly, Agatha, Vivienne

Names with backstory:

Tell: the Tell is very loosely based on an urban legend I stumbled across years before the story ever came to mind. The Knockertell is supposedly a spirit that can be summoned Bloody Mary style who will answer any question truthfully, but at the risk of you not actually wanting to know the answer. It stuck in my head and in the story, the Tell is a similar (though much more dangerous) spirit, so the name sorta made it’s way into the writing.
Nocke doesn’t really have a backstory behind their name, they just kinda picked it similar to other characters, but the fact that it’s sorta the foil spirit to the Tell, and they’re Nocke and Tell, after being inspired by the Knockertell, is probably some subconscious joke I pulled just for myself.
Emily was supposed to have a very normal, innocent sounding name because she’s a vicious spirit who takes the form of a cute little girl.

Serpent in the Shadows: I don’t even know where the name Vaalyn came from but he made me scour the internet for days and mash together a bunch of obscure names and then go through like 6 different spellings before he was happy. He drove me crazy.

Untitled: Okay so Des doesn’t really have a story as far as how he got the name, he kinda threw it at me one day with the very clear indication that Des is a nickname. However he refuses to tell me what it’s short for. I swear I’ve looked through every name in existence with “des” anywhere in it and he’s rejected all of them. Yet he insists it’s a normal name, not something weird and made up. It’s been months. I’m gonna strangle him soon.

1 Like

Sadrecai - I really love the “cai/khai” sound and look. He’s part of a species that might stereotypically be considered elven, so rather than going for flowing, gentle sounds, I went with a naming style for the species that I perceive as more harsh. I derived the name from “Sadro”, which I saw in Heroes III. Old turn-based game. Sadro was a cool-looking grim reaper skeleton fellow.

Eko - A given name not from her parents. Her name is changed to this once she’s a lab-experiment. The experiments creates “super warriors”. All super warriors have 3-letter names. I’m not sure why. I’ve always liked “Echo” as a name, and I think that’s because of the Ecco: Dolphin Defender of the Future game. Halfway through, that game is wild.

Dammita - As a kid I used to spell “damn it” as “dammit”, and one time I accidentally hit “a” so it was “dammita”. I thought it actually looked/sounded nice so I gave it to a character. xD I’ve found a lot of names through typos.

2 Likes

I have 2 different worlds in my stories and I’ll be elaborating on each of them:

Pokemon Fanfic

Abel - The very first character that I want to give a name starting with the letter A and decided to dive into a website that provides English baby names, and the name Abel came up on the first page and decided to use it. Although Abel is an “English version” name for him and is only being used in the English version of his story, his original name is “Yugahara” and I use that name in the original version of the book which is written in my native language.

Dean - At first I was gonna give him the name “Drake” but the canon Pokemon universe already has a character that was named Drake, so I find another name that starts with the letter D and decided to go with Dean. His original name is “Akira”.

Simon - I was gonna give him the name “Sydney”, but for the same reason as Dean, the canon Pokemon universe also already has a character that was named Sydney, so I find another name that starts with the letter S and decided to go with Simon. His original name is “Magatsu”.

Tara - When I was thinking about the main heroine’s character, for some reason, I had the character “Tara Strickland” from Crysis 2 popped in my head and decided to give the name Tara for the main heroine. Her original name is “Yukiko”.

Cloe - Was originally going to name her “Chloe”, but just like Dean and Simon, the canon Pokemon universe already has a character named Chloe, so I dug up into the English baby names website and decided to go with Cloe. Her original name is “Ceri”.

Edith - She has pink hair, and when I was thinking of a name, the character Edith from the movie Despicable Me crossed into my mind since she has a pink outfit, so I decided to give her the name Edith. Her original name is “Niina”.

Melvin - At first I was only going to call him Mel, but my relatives told me that the name “Mel” doesn’t fit Abel’s rival figure, so I tried to figure a more fitting name but still starts with the M and the name Melvin popped up and decided to use the name. His original name is “Minho”.

Cosmo - I don’t know why but when I’m thinking of a name for him, the character Cosmo from Fairly Odd Parents suddenly popped into my head, then I decided to use the name Cosmo for the techie character. His original name is “Daiki”.

Wren - This character is a bit special. In the plot of my story, she is intended to be a character that was first seen as a boy by other characters (in anime terms, she is intended to be the “trap” character), so I decided to use a unisex name and found the name Wren in the list. Her original name is “Kuroki”.

Ursula - She’s intended to be the annoying dishonest childish girl in the story (in anime terms, she’s the “tsundere” character), and the name Ursula sounded like a childish character’s name for me. Her original name is “Kyouko”.

Cain - He is intended to be Abel’s rival who has equal strength with him, then the name Cain popped because I suddenly had the image of Abel and Cain, the sons of Adam. Therefore, I decided to give him the name Cain for Abel’s rival. His original name is “Kaito”.

Bella - She is Abel’s twin sister and I decided to come up with the name Bella because it has a similar pattern to the name Abel (A - Bel, Bel - A), and since Abel has “Abelardo” as his real name, I decided to give her a real name as well and go by the name “Bellatrix”. Her original name is “Kumihara”.

Alaric - I started to run out of ideas for him and just casually dig into the English baby names website, and I found the name Alaric and decided to use it. His original name is “Aaru”.

Leos - He was originally going to be given the name “Leonardo” and being called “Leon”, but yet another character similar to Dean, Simon, and Cloe, the name Leon is already used for a canonical Pokemon universe character, so I find an alternate name and found the name Leos, and I decided to use the name because it sounds like a villain name for me. His original name is “Ayato”.

Margo - Just like Edith, when I was coming up with her name, the character Margo from Despicable Me popped into my head, so I decided to give the name Margo the traitor’s name. Her original name is “Mai”.

Sigmund - He is a bug researcher in the story, and the historical figure Sigmund Freud crossed my mind, therefore I decided to use the name Sigmund for the evil researcher’s name. His original name is “Siwon”.

Gwen - She’s an occult maniac and the name Gwen sounds fitting for the evil occult maniac’s name. Her original name is “Yuuko”.

Riley - He’s an antagonist who is always angry, and the name Riley sounds fitting for a character who always appears angry. His original name is “Riku”.

Claudia - She’s a psychotic antagonist who is always thirsty for blood, and the name Claudia sounds fitting for an evil psycho. Her original name is “Tamaki”.

Randal - He’s the second in command in his evil organization, and the name Randal sounds menacing for a major antagonist. His original name is “Hiruma”.

Lucius - The final boss in the story. I wanted a name that has a similar vibe with the name “Lucifer” for the main antagonist and the name Lucius crossed into my mind and it sounds fitting for a human character that I want to give a similar vibe with the name “Lucifer”. His original name is “Tsukasa”.

For those who are wondering why every character has an “original name” it’s because the official Pokemon canon also has different names for each character in the Japanese version and English version, so that’s why.

Special Operation Series

Okay, this world has a ton of characters and I’m too lazy to write down every single one of them, so I’m just going for the main characters from each book:

Sam - The protagonist of the first book. Sam is the name of a protagonist from the very first story I’ve made that I scrapped later on because of it being trash. When I decided to make a new world, I reused the name Sam for the main character and decided to go with it. His real name is Samuel Jonathan Azul. I used Samuel due to some reasons related to the canonical plot that I won’t spoil here, then I used Jonathan as his middle name based on his father’s name, and the name Azul is his surname.

Price - The protagonist of the second book and Sam’s successor. I came up with the name Price based on my favorite character in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, John Price, and decided to use the name Price for the main protagonist. His real name is Priceterro Blue. The name Priceterro is just a sole unnecessary extension for a real name, and Blue is his surname.

Azul - The ancestor of the first two protagonists; Sam and Price. I decided to give him the name Azul based on my favorite color; blue, and Azul means blue in Spanish. Hence, it became the first two protagonists’ surnames; Samuel Jonathan Azul and Priceterro Blue.

Aki - The name came up when I was trying this app that gives you a “Japanese name equivalent to your real name” which displays the name “Akihito” in it. I decided to use “Akihito” as the protagonist’s name and gave the name “Aki” as his nickname so people wouldn’t need to call him by his long name.

Agatha - She is a protagonist with a royalty background, and the name Agatha sounds like a noblewoman’s name.

You might’ve noticed why the explanations became shorter the further you go, it’s because I got tired the more I write.

1 Like

Is this a short “i” as in “kit” or long “i” as in “like”?

1 Like

lol, it’s my aunt’s name XD
I don’t see it used much, so nice to see you using it :wink:

Hm, looks familiar. And I was right! XD Katara. I was watching Last Airbender live action clips the other day.

lol XD He sounds like a character with character :grin:

This reminds me of a character that was kind of like this. Actually two characters. It wasn’t nicknames, but not their real names. They alluded their name was fake. I had to put them in a super vulnerable, pour-your-sob-story-out position to get them to tell me their real names :stuck_out_tongue:

lol, awesome name backstory XD

1 Like