Starting a new story when you haven't finished your first... good or bad idea?

Topic title says it all really… Is it a good or bad idea to start planning/writing a second story if I haven’t finished my first yet? Are there any people who have written two stories at the same time? Did it work out OK or did you find they kind of merged into the same story?

I’ve had an idea bugging me for a while, and I think it would be interesting to pursue it, but I’m worried I’ll give up on my first story, or I’ll lose the writing ‘voice’ (if that’s even a thing???)

3 Likes

I’ve been tempted to begin a new story, before finishing the one I’m currently writing. But I know that if I do so, I’ll most likely never get the motivation to finish the first one. So for me, that wouldn’t work. But that depends entirely on your personality.

As for losing your “writing voice” I wouldn’t consider that a danger. You just have to make sure not to mix up the two stories!:laughing:

2 Likes

This! I’d like to think I won’t give up on it, but I think maybe I’m just looking at writing something new because I’ve hit a bit of writers block with my current one.

I might just have a play around with the idea and make some notes. Maybe it will help stir up some inspiration for the first story. Either way I’m making sure I write a big chunk before posting on here. I’ve tried writing as I go and it’s a bit of a nightmare!

2 Likes

Writer’s block, in my own bold opinion, is when you are told by your brain that you can’t write anymore, and believe it. I’ve come close to the end of the first draft of a 100k+ book and haven’t faced a writer’s block once.

That doesn’t mean that it hasen’t been difficult writing and that I’ve been writing every single day. It means that whenever I take the courage to write and force myself to do so, it makes my work make progress. Writing, in my opinion, is very much about disiplin. If you have the disiplin to finish your story later, why not now?

But sure, every writer is different and I can’t tell what works for you …

That might very well be! Try it if you believe it will. Good luck with your writing!:smiley:

1 Like

I’d say keep working on your primary story, unless you’re completely giving up on it. If writing something on the side, make it a short story, or short chapters, or work out the plot. I know I would be overly distracted and use it as an excuse, and perhaps never go back…

In a way it’s like a sequel. I finished a work recently (my first, yeah!) but now I have to face the required sequel, to make sure everything’s wrapped up properly. As the story is continuing at the same spot it leaves off in the first book, it feels like I’m abandoning the story, leaving it incomplete.

It’s the same dilemma. Pour energy in something else / new, or accept the unavoidable and face the music and continue writing?

1 Like

I do this all the freaking time. It is so annoying, but what can I do whenever I get a shiny new idea for a story.

2 Likes

I did this once. I ended up ditching my first story to focus on the other. I just can’t multi-task :woman_shrugging:

So now, even when I have new story ideas, I just write it down and put it aside for when I actually have the time to put it into motion. I’m already slow on updating my story now as is ;__;

2 Likes

I tend to work on whatever I’m in the mood for. My creative energy is very spread out and random. If I get a new idea, I’ll humor that for a little while until I’m in the mood for the other one again. Personally, limiting myself to one story just burns me out. But it’s different for everyone, so I really don’t think it’s good or bad. It’s just whatever you feel capable of doing, I guess?

2 Likes

It really depends on the writer. Some can write 5 stories at the same time and work on all of them equally. Some have 3 books and prioritise the first two and do the third more as a fun project in the back. Others, like me, are only able to do one project at a time. You’ll have to experiment and see for yourself what kind of writer you are. I quickly learned my lesson and stopped trying to do multiple WIPs at once.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I’m going to just work out the plot as and when ideas come to me rather than official start to write it.

I really want to finish the first story because I’ve really enjoyed it so far and I think it’ll be good once it’s finished. I think I’ve just hit a bit of a wall because work and RL have been a bit hectic. I’ve been stressy and unable to really focus :expressionless:

1 Like

Yeah I think I’m going to do this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I think I’m going to hold off and just play around with the idea as and when I feel like it rather than actively try and write it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally I feel you should finish the first one. Like others here have said, starting a second one might be distracting and it could lead to never finishing the first one.

Writing is not always easy and sometimes you’ll have moments where you start doubting your story or have writersblock or something. You’ll have moments where you need to push yourself to continue writing your book. If you’d start a different story I think the same will probably happen with that and eventually you’re gonna end up with a bunch of different stories that may never be finished.

I have other book ideas but instead of starting them I just write down all the ideas I get. I’ll have ideas that don’t match in my original book but could work in a different one so I write it there so I don’t forget it. Than when my first book is finished I can move over to the next one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bad.
But I do it anyway.

3 Likes

i have the attention span of a goldfish, so i regularly don’t finish stories before starting new ones. i’m currently trying to focus on one story, but i do have like 5 WIPs.

2 Likes

I have 3 on the go, it’s very hard for me to get my headspace right sometimes. I also find my mind wants to run with one over another.

3 Likes

I have three going, too(they are in the same series, so that makes it a little easier) hard part, is one is in first person and the other two are in 3rd. That’s hard in itself and editing is a pain, because I have to keep making sure they stay in the right person.

2 Likes

Personally, I have difficulty working on multiple stories at once, which is ironic since I recently started a second story and the first one has become more of a side project. I can only give my full attention to one story at a time, although a side project (like the trilogy I’m writing on WP) can be a nice distraction when I lack inspiration for my main project (which is a manuscript I hope to query some day).

If you want to know whether you’d be a great multitasking writer, the only way to find out is to try it out. Some people can juggle two or three stories at once, while others, like me, struggle doing so.

2 Likes

Perhaps I’m not the best person to ask (because poet), but my stories are usually short. It’s not a problem, because they all have their separate documents and compartments, and the characters are very different in each one. I have some that have no characters, one has objectual allegories disguised as a royal family. Another has people.

It’s really hard to mix them all up because their foundational style is so drastically different.

2 Likes

Probably bad but it always happens to me.

2 Likes