Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

I’m sorry, I could not resist.

3 Likes

The prophecy was a lie. Now what? is where my story has gone.

2 Likes

Maybe you should drink the blood of bats

3 Likes

Finished Chapter 1 of Red Reign: Monster in White.
Personally, I liked how I written it.

I am at 2502 words for this chapter. I am going to take a break, because I am noticing that my typing becomes sloppy and slow, when I type for too long which sucks.

Nothing else to report.

4 Likes

I didn’t make the honeyfeed finals. :pensive: I doubt I even made a shortlist. It’s hard not to feel like a failure, especially when my stories have been rejected for reviews and lists in the last week. I’ve experience so much more failure than success, it’s a struggle to keep trying.

2 Likes

Pls help

3 Likes

One day I’ll write something someone cares about. Until then, I can only do my best.

3 Likes

I am done with chapter two Red Reign: Monster in White and man does it feel good.
I made chapter two longer than chapter one with 3335 words.
I am loving how I am writing in play format rather than novel format.

I am tired now and need a break for tonight because it is 10:10pm.
So, I am going to kick back in my bed and do something. I am not really sleepy just yet.

I will start chapter three tomorrow. Originally, I wanted to do three novels, but I am really wanting to do only two. My main focus is strictly for the two novels that I will be working on which is Red Reign: Monster in White and The Red Ghost: Heretic Renna.

I have to plot and plan a bit for The Red Ghost novel and figure out my characters for Red Reign.

I am exhausted and will take a break now until tomorrow.
Nothing else to report.

4 Likes

I just realize the contest judgement was more on meeting expectations than delivery with merit. So the contest failure was just another insight that made me feel I’m sticking to the my true writing path.

2 Likes

that’s fair, although I think bringing a story up to industry standard as far as grammar goes falls more on the editor than on the writer. Not entirely, but they are hired to do specifically that. Someone can be a really good writer with awful grammar, but if it’s literally your job to fix grammar problems you should at least be good at it.

However the caveat to that is that the stylization of creative writing makes it a lot harder to correct mechanical issues. Writers break grammar rules all the time, it’s part of having a unique voice and it can be hard to walk the line of preserving the author’s voice while also correcting issues.

Some of it is talk for marketing purposes, but I also wonder how much of it is personal perception and experience. Effort is subjective and the act of writing itself isn’t always the easiest thing, even if you love it. Still… google is free. And if you choose to include details that the average person is going to have at least some knowledge on, maybe you should get those details right.

very niche of you

2 Likes

Scare the snot out of readers a 3rd the way through?

1 Like

Jail Baiting?
Beyond the Bars?
What is thematic?

2 Likes

Some of it’s cultural, too. Speaking as a Cajun, I have to watch writing adverbs and adjectives behind their source without conjunctions. That song “Blue Bayou” ticks me off because the blue shouldn’t come before bayou, ever, to me. And then there’s repeating actions for emphasis. Fast fast exists. Faster is an abomination. I have to cut that color out of my writing, quite often because I’m not writing about Cajuns or to Cajuns.

2 Likes

Good points also. I try my best to edit my story as much as I can before I send it out for people to even read, to be honest, but this is more of a polish-up and a personal preference (and also because I can do a bit of editing myself, it’s not perfect or anything but it works for Wattpad).

There’s also a difference between breaking grammar rules for stylistic/voice purposes (characterization), and knowing the language and being lazy and not putting in the effort to make it work/presentable. While it is a fine line between mechanical and stylistic choices, I think that most fundamental errors outside of those two things can be fixed, according to the rules of the english language.

Yeha, googling is important at times. If your character is going to somewhere like England, or Canada, or Mexico and you have never been before, then yeah you need to research it, but if you have been to somewhere, say Spain for vacation and you know enough about the place, then you need to do less research.

Of course, stories based off personal experience or a vibe don’t always have to be 100% accurate to the culture, as it’s not historical fiction or coming from an outsiders perspective, or their own memoirs.

Historical Fiction definitely needs research for the time period, or whatever, imo.

I can go even more niche :wink:

1 Like

Elegant dovetailing?

2 Likes

In the desert.

2 Likes

Sounds like we are reviving episodes of This Old House out in Arizona.

2 Likes

Or California :wink: !

2 Likes

I’m going to listen to some Lo-fi music and again and start writing chapter 3 for Red Reign: Monster in White.

Still, I need to plot and plan for my Renna novel.

I am going to do this with Red Reign, I am going to write up to chapter 8 to see if I get a feel for the novel. Then I shall start working a bit on Renna but return right back to Red Reign to finish up the rest of the chapters.

I shall only be focusing on two novels. Anymore will ruin me but that is only if I am fully ready to plot/plan for another story.

Anyway, I am procrastinating here and need to hurry and get some writing done.
Ooh, I also have to do some reading and highlighting too. Got some helpful writing resource books that I barely touch, and I need to also jot down some notes too and tab the book.

It seems like I have plenty to do, but in all honesty not really.

muttering over the fact that I also have chores to do as well and cook dinner tonight

Bah! I am going to write and read for two hours and thirty-two minutes straight!
Or should I do some reading and notetaking first then go straight to writing chapter three of Red Reign.
Ugh! I am being indecisive, and I don’t like it!

sigh Nothing else to report or even say.
I’ve wasted enough time here.

2 Likes

Random. Would work in a vampire story. Sadly, no vampires.

I’ve decided that now’s the time for Bethany to rename herself using her middle name Vivienne.

1 Like