Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

@Kamiccola It’s My Joy. It ends with NTR.

1 Like

What’s an NTR?

1 Like

God, I want cry and scream out my frustrations!!!

A seemingly good/decent day went a little bad and only I can blame myself for it…

3 Likes

I wanna scream too!

I’ve had a very hectic day running back and forth in the rain. And now, nearly at midnight, I’m holed up in the library crying because of the edits I have do to a research proposal. It’s going to get ripped apart by the ethics committee on Wednesday anyway so like what’s even the point?

I read an interview with Helen Garner (author of Monkey Grip) where she said her ‘10,000 hours of mastering her craft’ came from writing diary entries. I’ve spent 10,000 hours on research proposals, so I guess I’ve mastered writing? :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m posting this here because I feel like it would inspire people.

2 Likes

Well, I tried out scrivener and fell in love with it. I bought the iOS version but I’m going to buy the windows as well in December before my trial ends.

Wrote about 1k today and will probably spend the rest of today moving my NaNo project into it.

3 Likes

Time to edit chapters 1 to 12 and redo chapter 13 of Red Reign because leaving it like this is going to drive me up the damn walls.

Sorry chapter 13 is on a break until I am done editing. Yes, I am well aware that it is just a rough/first draft and there’s no point in editing since you will have to make changes later.

Screw that! I am doing what I want and what I want is to redo everything so that it can make sense to me!

Nothing else to report.

2 Likes

Good luck with choosing the new title!

I also was unwilling to do NaNo because of structure, but I don’t mind rebel version. I guess, I am a sucker for community. Same reason I am a huge ONC fan.

4 Likes

I am on the opposite, back to work for 3 straight days tomorrow, so I am dreading what it would mean for my NaNo progress.

Atm, I can’t predict if I will get to 50K or not. It’s going to be close, I think. I did some serious inserts, new chapters even, but also, some chapters i like almost as is. I think my junk draft with all the notes and ideas and drafted chapters is 36K atm, around midpoint. So it will come to how much I will add in second part.

3 Likes

For this old story that I want to revamp and make it see the light of day again, I am going to make it a wacky combination of four anime shows that I have seen but give it my own twist.

This story is a combination of My Hero Academia meets Fate/Stay Night UBW meets Hunter x Hunter meets a bit of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion.

Am I crazy to combine all four of these four anime shows into my own novel? Yes, yes, I am crazy.

Will I take everything from these four anime and mash it together to create my story? No, I will not do that.

I am taking bits and pieces from each of the anime shows rather than every single thing that seems useful.

I am not that crazy.

Far as The Red Ghost: Heretic Renna. That shall be converted into the third story somehow.

I am starting to ponder if I am really crazy or some masochistic writer who only knows pain. Whatever the case may be…I have issues.

Nothing else to report.

3 Likes

I made my first WriterTube video, but it needs to be edited.
I had to use my phone because I don’t have the right equipment just yet.

It is so long and weird yet oddly enough I like it. I would show it to you guys, but it isn’t ready.

I am a bit proud of myself and I am like repeating things, but the confidence that I didn’t know I had makes me very happy.

I was even being a bit silly with it too.
I didn’t make it glamorous but is to be expected.
No, I have posted my video to YouTube yet because it needs to be edited. LOL!

Still, I am pleased about what I did.

4 Likes

I have a random question for you all:

Do you think MG (middle grade) fiction has any sort of reader base on Wattpad? Books like Warriors or Percy Jackson?

My assumption is no, based on 2 reasons. 1, the age restriction for WP, and 2, I’ve never actually seen a MG book posted up that wasn’t fanfiction. But I guess just because they aren’t popular to write, doesn’t mean people don’t want them, right?

What do you all think?

4 Likes

I’ve written two MG stories that are on Wattpad! (both part of the same series)

Honestly, I think you’re assumptions are quite accurate. I have 4.6k reads for the first story, which was written for ONC 2 years ago, which I guess is a decent number but hardly a blockbuster :joy: . And I feel like most of those readers aren’t in the MG demographics, but rather supportive readers because of the ONC atmosphere (or just people amused by the concept of an iguana captaining a pirate ship). The other story has fewer reads as I had less time to promote it as I wrote two ONC entries that year. I have considered trying this series in another arena as I feel there is limited room for promotion and growth for MG stories on Wattpad.

3 Likes

I decided that I am gonna make this story as twisty, turny and as random as I can make a YA novel.

4 Likes

I was totally writing Riordan style story, and Wattpad rated it mature. I see some stories that have 15 or 14 yo protagonists. Aside from @lisa_london story, another MG story won ONC last year, Yvonne Kindle’s the Bean and the Dragon.

Someone who has a lot of success with borderline MG fiction is Sylvia Krpatova. She shortlisted on everything, and she is probably entry range for YA, right off MG.

I think if you are shooting for this 13-15 yo range, you will find niche audience, because people do look once in a while for clean, no romance, adventure of friends. Magic school or clean wolf fiction is what I have seen most requests for in this category.

5 Likes

(Exhausted sigh) another spam scouting company on Wattpad. Now it’s some mobile gaming app that does romances on the side. I am so tired of being spammed with stupid offers to sign up books for someone shady.

4 Likes

I entered this month’s writing prompt lottery contest on Pixiv with a onshot BL. it got me with my juices flowing. The prompt I entered is where if I’m randomly picked for a win I can either score a Pixiv prize equivalent to Amazon voucher on offer or the grand prizes. Typically, these prompts attract between 300 - 500 entries on average. I’m sure this month will have heaps. Writing Support Project ~ Jealousy ~

4 Likes

Fingers crossed for you! I know you fight so hard!

2 Likes

Thank you. Yep, I keep on fighting.

2 Likes