Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

Hello,

I’ve been working on a project for a while, and I’m doubting the POV. I have too many characters who want their story told, but I can only write so many chapters, and not all have arcs. In addition, the cast, in general, is large, so I’m at a loss.

I would be grateful if anyone could spare some time to help me.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Is it alright if I wait with you? I feel like I can use some help in that regard. Although my situation might be slightly different.

The overall point is that I am using too many characters who each want to share their story, but a simple plot is enough to bring them together.

:slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Sure.

3 Likes

Thanks so much.

2 Likes

Off Topic: I want to cry, but it isn’t hitting me yet.

On Topic: I don’t know anymore! I want to create a totally new character, but I haven’t the foggiest idea where to start.

2 Likes
1 Like

If that character was an animal, what sort of animal would they be?

You can tell a character’s story without giving them a POV. I think the characters who don’t have arcs are the easiest to move to the non-POV roles. Then, take a look at their voice and degree of change through the arc. The best voices and the biggest changers are great for PoV.

Are they all in different locations? If not, go by location and select a character who represents it.

Also, see if some characters can be folded into one instead of multiple.
Good luck with pruning!

1 Like

I was able to get back to editing of an old story I am re-releasing over December-January. It really is a lot of fun, though it will need more editing at some point. I love that story, heh.

I also did some reading, but now I need to start the penultimate chapter. It’s all completely new one too, so I am almost tempted to just skip it, heh. On the other hand, I know that it’s good stuff because Maximus meets his first lover in it and wraps up that storyline that was hinted at throughout the book. So I better girdle my loins and get it done.

4 Likes

You can do it! I believe in you!

2 Likes

Aww, thank you!

1 Like

Off Topic: Tomorrow is going to be a busy one for me.

On Topic: Meh, I got nothing which makes sense.

@NotARussianBot: Can you tolerate cosmic horror/eldritch horror when it is done good or something? I am curious. Is that type of horror even your thing? Forgive me if I am wrong.

1 Like

I’m fine with it!

1 Like

Hooray!!!

Yeah, I am sorry for getting so excited like that. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I quite like what I wrote here:

If you had the misfortune of seeing the snow-topped streets slicked with blood, you were robbed of one of the very few highlights in Kings. When thinking of winter in Delfer City, people think Queens. ‘Course. The heated roads, the strip of coffee shops and cafes and outdoor dining with heated lamps, and the end of the road stands Serenity Mall decked out in red, white, and green lights. First thing you see when you walk in through the entrance is the ceiling high Christmas Tree, surrounded by photo op opportunities, a chance with Santa, and bite sized samples of freshly baked goods.

But when I thought about winter in Delfer City, I thought about the almost untouched snow save for a few tracks, the whisper of winter, small strips of red, white, and green in every neighbourhood block, and the Saints-organized community get together in Mosley Park every Sunday morning, fresh and familiar faces swallowed in scarfs and tattered winter coats and stolen Timbs lining up for a bowl of soup. Young, old, alone, anyone who came got fed.

3 Likes

I just realized back when I used to read a lot manga.
There were some pretty fucked up and wild horror manga that still can’t believe I read.

What’s wrong with me? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

My author copies of my novel came in the mail today :partying_face:

7 Likes

This is one of those days where your birthday doesn’t feel like one…

:sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Are you feeling now, Miss Qualeshia?

3 Likes

I’m feeling old. LOL!

3 Likes