Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

Hahahaha I feel you! I feel like I’m blind to stuff until someone points it out and then it’s all I can see xD ITS CURSED :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Amazing. I know how hard it is to get reads there. Congratulations. :tada:

2 Likes

Thank you! :grin:

1 Like

Aww…man!

I didn’t mean to make chapter one over 2k. Still, I am happy to have finished it.
Now, I have to write a chapter summary for chapter two then start it when I get the chance.

I think it is best if I do a chapter summary first (obviously) then start the chapter of the chapter summary I’ve written. So, next I shall write the chapter summary for chapter two then start chapter two and so on and so forth.

I am going to try to make chapter two a bit shorter, but if it turns out I make it longer than it is what it is.

Nothing else to report.

4 Likes

Lol, I went from ‘I don’t want to do NaNo’ to ‘I want to do NaNo retreat!’ … I guess it’s that I always prefer to focus deeply on just one task.

7 Likes

Me, a few weeks ago: I’m just gonna write this fun paranormal romance. It’ll be fun and easy to sell on Wattpad.

Me, trying to explain this story today: I guess it’s a… romcom against a Greenland backdrop blended with a grim Viking Saga with supernatural flair. Also werebears. Maybe some light time-traveling. Enjoy?

2 Likes

I am gonna make an account and I am gonna experiment on it and see what I can get away with on Wattpad lol.

2 Likes

Ugh! I hate this tired feeling that I am getting!
I am on chapter two and I am feeling sleepy. Like come on, I just want to write a bit longer, but I am feeling so sleepy.

Ugh! Much Frustration!

2 Likes

Easy sell on Wattpad is an oxymoron :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Definitely! So it’s probably just best to write whatever you enjoy writing, or you’ll end up with a story nobody likes :joy:

2 Likes

I need to continue with chapter two of my novel’s second draft.
It is really weird because I am doing odd type of editing that makes me wonder if maybe I should have rewritten the whole thing.

I am liking where things are going, but I can’t say I am editing and writing this as I go. It is more like I am writing the story with a few edits here and there.

Again, nothing else to report.
I am moving onward and forward with this novel.

2 Likes

And, crossed 60K words mark, by wrapping up chapter 27.

I made one of those Google searches, as in ‘do all handcuffs have the same keys’ which gave me a faster way to resolve the finale.

With chapter 28, I enter the final confrontation of the book!

4 Likes

No writing, but used dance choreography mapping to jot my BL scifi next chapter. It’s complex and a crucial milestone, so had to map out the actions to write with some clarity.

2 Likes

shivers I know what you mean. Its like I want to omit that person in their entirety and not just the memories :rofl:
But then again I can imagine them the villain in my book and I cant wait for my MC to get avenge me :innocent:

@J.L.O

2 Likes

He was seven kids of messed up, went to jail for his behavior, too. He was out my life by then.

2 Likes

I didn’t write a ton this weekend, but a little, yes. I’m happy with a cool metaphor that came to me for the short dream sequence. In fact, I think I accidentally discovered a trick for adding metaphors in important moments.

new metaphor

Character A was dreaming that character B was telling him something like, “I have much to teach you. You better listen closely since you’re going to have to step into my shoes.”

And then I thought how cool it would be if A literally put on the other guy’s shoes, then I took it further and made him stand barefoot on a floor that’s covered in glass shards and a pair of shoes waiting for him to wear. And then I realized that that’s a pretty self-explanatory visual, so I cut the part of character B saying A needs to step into his shoes. I could make it more obvious and have B take off his shoes and give to him.

There’s a fun visual to play with here to set up a simple but powerful message that A can later reflect on when it’s time for him to make a choice. The glass shards are also a nice touch since glass is a major theme of this book. It worked out great as if I planned it that way. :sweat_smile:

So I accidentally executed a formula for adding metaphors.

1. Identify the sentence that could be visualized.
  2. Visualize that sentence.
  3. Cut that sentence and only leave the visual.

I think it’s important to be careful and not overdo metaphors. Like here, this one can be understood from the context of the scenes that came before. It’s loaded with details that readers will (hopefully) appreciate, and it’s important to the story. It’s not there just for the pretty prose.

Second cool scene I wrote was a fun moment when one character thinks he’s dreaming because it feels too good to be true and it leads to pretty hot stuff. :wink:

Not sure why this weekend’s scenes were so dream-oriented.

1 Like

It’s something Nick hates about my writing. Too many metaphors, too often.

Maybe the problem is that they’re too early? Metaphors are very much reliant on the reader being connected to the character. I see it in the same terms as an inside joke. It relies on all parties to understand the context and in the first chapter you certainly know more than the reader.

So maybe save the metaphors for later chapters?

1 Like

I just try to do less.

1 Like

I hate metaphors when it’s trying too hard to be a metaphor.

I read Carmen Maria Machado’s short story collection Her Body and Other Parties — where in one story a woman’s head falls off when her husband pulls loose the ribbon on her neck after she explicitly tells him not to do it, or when, in another story, Benson (from Law & Order SVU) gets literally haunted by the ghosts of female murder victims. Like yeah, yeah I get it. Women’s oppression something something, everyone’s awful something something and everything’s a metaphor. I get it, I get it.

1 Like