Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

congratulations! :confetti_ball:

3 Likes

tumblr_2bd290ab142bf0115a0652c4f8f4970c_8de06095_540

about to start googling stuff about explosives and i would like to make it clear to the national security spies that this is just for a book. please don’t put me on a watchlist, thank you.

5 Likes

Yes, writers’ searches, always suspicious!

3 Likes

I realised that I can definitely get 50k out of Domingo, but the problem is, the plot. How do I keep it interesting and Domingo interesting enough as well? I tried to get a 50k idea from Jey, but that’s not happening at all. xD

3 Likes

Radish rejected me 3 x times, lol. Your mom sounds cool. My mom used my soft paperback for a pot plant holder. Thanks mom.

2 Likes

I started plotting my backup project and I now have seven chapters outlined. It’s really looking like this is about to become my main project.

2 Likes

I feel like giving up my BL Scifi. It got rejected from a book review site and it didn’t test well on neovel. Nor have I been able to garnish any interest for it. It’s nearing 200k works for something that won’t be read. Even if I finished it, I know the results will amount to worthless effort. I just don’t want to go through another round of hurt.

2 Likes

Wrote a new chapter for WP’s second draft, and editing another. Thinking of what I can rename the book. “Without Parole” no longer fits it. :thinking:

5 Likes

i always assume published wattpad books are written by teenagers/early twenties kids but then i flip to the author’s page and find out they’re married with kids, a degree, and a full time job in marketing or sth and i’m like :grinning: great, well, humanity is doomed.

how did you make it through university with zero basic research skills.

3 Likes

Money.

5 Likes

coins instead of brain cells

3 Likes

Yes that’s how society is now sadly. More money than sense, and all they seem to care about is getting into each other’s pants.

Anyway, I know how you feel. You find some people on Wattpad who claim they are English Majors, and you wonder to yourself what the heck they were actually doing that whole time in College. Other than themselves and other people also.

Some of them come across as English Major fails too. Are they just lazy or sadly not good at the language that they claim to “major” in?

Yes, I give more leeway to kids and people who don’t have English as a first language, but the ones who are older and do, should know better. I am not an English Major but I am trying to get better at my native language constantly, as well as Spanish.

3 Likes

i think an english major focuses more on the content of the literature than the grammar so i can understand being an english major who’s bad at grammar. Thesis/paper grammar is way easier than creative writing grammar imo, you don’t have to figure out shit like dialogue tags and action beats, and nobody uses em-dashes in a research paper. And at the end you can cram a paper through a grammar checker and be fine, which isn’t the case with books because books tend to be a lot more stylized.

On the other hand i don’t know how they make it through an English major without an ounce of pacing or characterization ability.

and idk they always talk so much about how hard it is to write a book and how much effort they put into it, so i kind of feel bad when i get nitpicky. but also, i have to wonder how much effort is really being put in when there are details that clearly didn’t even get a quick google check.

3 Likes

Yeah, their grammar doesn’t have to be perfect, but I still expect a bit of care directed that way since they are writing a story, that ends up going on to be published. It should be up to the industry standard, at very least so from that perspective, practicing grammar in your stories helps you prepare for that.

I know right? D:

Yeah, some people do a good talk and try and oversell their book for the amount of effort that they actually put into it. I, for one, have been looking up wrestling videos of Miami High Schools in 2003 and old videos on high schools for my research :wink:

4 Likes

Time to listen to some Lo-fi music and get some writing done.
I feel like that is going to be my thing for a while. LOL!

3 Likes

Got some good writing done. Quite like the conversation here.

“The Rat King has reigned for too long,” Marcus’ voice filled the silence with a heavy tone, “Before we realized it, many of us were infested. Negativity and jealousy, greed, distrust, all those that break a mind and kill a kingdom, they come out.”

Bethany grimaced. “You talk about the Rat King like a disease.”

“It is like a disease, trust me. A disease of corruption that if you get too close it really does get into your head and talk to you. Juniper might even be affected being near it so many times.”

3 Likes

Just wanted to stop here briefly because I am going to go back to a somewhat original plan with my rough drafts.

I will write the first draft only in play format then once I get to the second draft and beyond that, then I shall write in novel format.

These are going to be for both of my two stories.

Nothing else to report.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I could not resist.

3 Likes

The prophecy was a lie. Now what? is where my story has gone.

2 Likes

Maybe you should drink the blood of bats

3 Likes