Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

Happy birthday to you!!!
I just wanted to say that.

4 Likes

Aw thank you so much! <3

4 Likes

4 Likes

Well, I couldn’t even get a thousand words out yesterday. I’m hoping today will be better but I also only have three days to pack so…. Maybe I should focus on that.

5 Likes

If Elena Armas can write rubbish and publish it then so can I :slight_smile: that’s my motivation for this month!

6 Likes

3k words in a DAY?? I average 100 to 500 words per day at best :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: last month I wrote every day for four hours (8p to midnight, my normal writing time) and I managed to write a whole 2k words

5 Likes

omg that looks so good :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Good grief, did the Author put the cover in Canvas or Picsart or something of the sort?

I mean, the minimalist style is fine, but it looks like one of those default stickers on Canvas had been slapped on there. :grimacing:

Whenever I see corporate-style art on there, It just makes my skin itch for some reason. I hope the contents of the book are good. I hope it is.

5 Likes

It’s not all that it’s cracked up to be. Sometimes I have to drop a good bit in an edit that maybe I wouldn’t have had to if I had far more care? Not always, but just often enough for “why did I do this?!” That’s a quantity vs. quality issue.

I also put up if all you get is 600 a day, that’s still 18,000 words in a month. That’s a novel every 3 months, roughly (slightly lower is 4-6 months). A polished novel is doable within a year at that pace. There’s prolific authors that did it at 1 a year or 1 every 2 years.

The race is really against ourselves and our own flaws, especially in a field where first isn’t best.

3 Likes

Everything is a learning curve, right?

parenting

One on the way… “Oh, I’ve got a younger brother, I’ve got this.”

Kid climbs a ladder at 8 months before she’s really crawling.

Second one on the way. “Can’t be worse than the first.”

She isn’t until 4. But then, this kid was born during my mother’s dying, so other moms bonding with their babies and I’m tossing this one to relatives so I can cere for mom.

3rd on the way. “Oh, I’m an old hand at this now.”

It’s a boy. He’s currently slamming his face into my shoulder with his teeth because he thinks he’s cute.

And writing doesn’t easily conform to plans 24/7. About the only time I roughly plan chapters is when it just won’t end. Lol

It’s this way for everything in life. As soon as you master one thing, here comes the next monkey wrench.

3 Likes

Keep going!

4 Likes

I always feel that if you build a book around competition, I want the competition to be there front and center. So, if you want to delay it to book 2, maybe call the second book Royalty Games and kick it off with it? Like, Hunger Games starts on the day of reaping. So, it delivers on the premise right away…

5 Likes

LMAO I felt this in my bones, even though I only have one kid :rofl:

3 Likes

Thats literally what I’m sitting here thinking about. I’ve done a few title changes before so it’s not too much of a trouble it’s just the usual “Alex, you had this plan and now you’ve gone off on a tangent”.
I just need to now plan out what the hell I’m gonna do :rofl: or what even to call this one.
Unless I go:
The Royalty Games 1: new title
TRG 2: the games

or something idk.
That’s December’s problem I guess :rofl:

3 Likes

Probably, to be honest, and I can make stuff like that better in Canva lol.

It’s really not a good book, well, her last book was awful and too long-winded. It didn’t need to be 500 pages long–heck it didn’t even have to be 300 pages long! This one is a spin-off from that story.

2 Likes

I wanted a bigger family, but by the time I had the 3rd I realized that I would constantly be changing my ideas on what I think I got down.

2 Likes

Most AuthorTubers give advice and guide newbie writers into better themselves for the sake of the craft. That is fine and dandy, but I don’t want to do that if I were an authortuber. I would much rather just do a healthy balance of writing/living/talking. I don’t think I am qualified to give advice on writing because even I am inexperience at it still. And I’ve been writing since I was a child.

So, that is all I wanted to say.

1 Like

I wouldn’t care if I was far more published than I am, I don’t think I’d ever do a thing on “authority on how to do that”.

2 Likes

I totally understand that. Like I would rather do writing vlogs and a healthy balance of talking and writing. I say this because some authortuber talk more and write a bit less.

Still, like you, even if I were published and well known in the writing community, I would rather not tell people or guide people on how to write. I prefer they either learn on their own or through someone else.

My main concern on authortube is enjoying myself and not giving advice as if I know what I am doing when clearly I do not.

2 Likes