Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 1)

It depends on the genre/story. If I am not OwnVoice for protagonist, then I do 3rd person, past tense for sure. If it’s not a concern, I go for 1st person past tense for non-thrillers and 1st person present tense for thrillers, unless 3rd feels better for the lore/descriptions. If I don’t hear it in my head, I try the same story in different POVs to see if the main character has enough charisma to sweep me with me-me-me…

1 Like

The desire to fix Maximus to resolve the name of the Empire vs character’s name confusion is eating at me.

2 Likes

https://thewritepractice.com/character-voice/

Got to try this now

1 Like

Me yesterday:

Me today:

6 Likes

I am truly enjoying my reading process. Slow and steady.

Now, if I can focus on my writing process then I can get somewhere.

LOL!

1 Like

Hi guys, Chat Request feature is available for our thread. If you feel like having a heart-to-heart chat with someone specific rather than with everyone, try it out before you hear ‘Gee, get a room!’

3 Likes

I have a folder called “crappy writing” on my computer :laughing:

2 Likes

Same. :sob:

2 Likes

Max:

Write about me, or I am gonna keep haunting your dreams, aight?

(I did actually have a dream about him where I was him and it was freaky).

3 Likes

lol I have a folder called I tried.

3 Likes
Vacation grumbling:

Ok, a damn near 300 lbs woman on 2 back to back days at Disney (8-6, 9-11). My soles have had blisters for 1.5 of those days. My arms feel like they have been doing pushups. I feel like I lost all the cartilage in my ankles. The first day I barely missed heat stroke and lost one of my kids for about 5 minutes (one less person watching because I was fighting to be coherent, and was the only one aware that she was trailing others): you know, scare the snot out of any mom.

But there are good things. I’ve got a 22 year old injury to my left knee which was never fixed, and I cracked my right only about a month ago in a fall (trying to protect the toddler from the worst of the impact).

Neither of those was a serious problem, the whole time.

That, and I didn’t have any strange heart reactions to overtaxing myself. My ticker is in better shape than I thought. Lol

But: take advantage of any indoor ride or play from about 1pm until about 5pm, if you go during the summer. Never do Epcot’s beer run during that time slot. That area about killed me. More water, higher humidity, the dumbest hills.

Ok, I need to get back into doing something next week. Wish me luck. Lol

3 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

I got acceptance from Radish for Tangorellos. This provides me an extra incentive to edit Raised by the Mafia. Fingers crossed the first book does okay there after I smooth it a little so I can continue the whole series there after November. Gosh, if I can manage to get something finally going for me… fingers crossed!

9 Likes

I just realized that my science-fantasy story is focusing on themes like racism, discrimination, and survival.

Apparently, an android and the only one of his kind that happens to be a mage is living in a world where mages and androids despise each other with a burning passion simply for being different.

My MC/android mage Ryker must navigate through a world full of racism and discrimination that is also gearing up for a global war. Pretty much the androids(Machina in my story) and Mages are going to have their final battle to determine who is best to rule all of Avantica as a species. Ryker is unlucky to be caught in the middle of it all.

Sounds very interesting and I love it.

2 Likes

YES DOMI!!! This is amazing!!! Congrats! I’m so so happy for you!

2 Likes

It’s been a very long time since I’ve been back on these forums and honestly I’m just so overwhelmed…

Ive started a new job, I’m trying to keep up with writing and sorting out my plan for my MA. It just feels like I don’t have enough hours in the day :slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I am reshuffling.

2 Likes

I know the feeling.
Take it one little goal at a time.

3 Likes

In a world where racism and discrimination play a heavy role in my fictional society, I truly need a clear antagonist(s) in my story. One is all for Mages while the other is all for Machinas.

Yeah, I make two antagonists in my story who are very much pitted against each other and wants the whole world to be involved.

Yuppers! This is going to be fun!

4 Likes

Thank you! I was expecting a rejection, so when the second line read ‘accept’ or whatever, I was like, no way?

1 Like