Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 1)

I am gonna play around with them both.

1 Like

You might not be good at teaching morals, but you’re better than teaching morals than Little Clowns of Happy Town.

Never tell people who can’t swim to save a drowning person. Please, I beg you.

Now I want to read number four and five more

1 Like

:joy: I have written an excerpt of them both.

1 Like

I made a poll with both excerpts:

emphasized text[quote=“JohnnyTuturro, post:7717, topic:7883”]
The possibilities are endless, but probably focusing on the family would work? IDK.
[/quote]

Hmm, if he messed up, and Vincent is still going to be born, that is not threatened. I think you need to find something that has to call him back to the future that actually is important and why he can’t stay in 1960s and be happy there.

If the Clockers are regulators, and David is a maverick and a natural that could be a conflict, but it would escalate easier if Dave is the inventor of the time Tver, their founder, and hence he has to go back to record his travels and experiences and start the Clocker movement. This way, Dave is in conflict and the Clockers are tin conflict, divided between veneration of the guy and the necessity to police him.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am thinking about that.

What could David save? :thinking: lol.

I just edited post above suggesting a conflict.

1 Like

Okay, I mostly was editing today, posting the first 9 chapters. I will need to start reading again tomorrow, plus going back to work… so will be happy if I can do a couple of chapters.

I also gave a shot to fighting Chapter 1 of Firman’s Girl. I hope it might be more hooking now, but I will wait for workshopping it to see if I can get my answer to that. I need 10 chapters to get back into clubbing… that’s my first writing goal once I am done the editing!

1 Like

Yeah, and also if the Clockers record any contradictions or differences in the records, then David and them can be conflicted by the records he posted and the ones they post too? If the timeline changes, when they go back.

I feel that the conflict needs to be visceral and have a potential to grow. It could start with a simple corrective action, but build up from there to a threat to their whole ability to time travel. If it hinges on Dave being in his timeline, BINGO! Your conflict now has stages. Now, how does Dave feel about that? Does he want to contaminate the past with others time-travelling? Is he loathing to give up all the hard work he put into transplanting himself in 1960s, where he doesn’t have to deal with his baby brother and his achievements or milking him? Just work through this in terms of how they are on cross-purposes, and there you have it. A strong, growing conflict from the first little seed (Dave is annoyed by Vincent and runs back in time to murder him) to an existential struggle with the time-travelling class he himself created who hates their privileges’ to be revoked. Is Vincent also in cahoots with the time travelers because he now understands that Dave could mess him up? This sort of thing.

Basically, in this story unlike the others, you have enough to work with.

1 Like

Good news! My Watty mentee after she edited her first chapter with my suggestions passed Nick’s trial with flying colors. I guess I know how to do it on other people’s materials at least. It’s just mine that are the problem. Come on, I can fix my own issues, right?

6 Likes

It reminds me of vanilla starts to games !instead of the alternates (like we’ve done with fan patches of Skyrim). Improving a “more traditional start” is far easier than a “non-standard start”.

2 Likes

I’m happy for your mentee and for you for being a great mentor. I think we learn when we teach so with time you might be able to fix your own stuff too. I think that’s harder because you’re too close to your own work.

Nick finally gave me a review of mine and brought up a few good points, no solutions, just issues. :joy:
I made a note of his feedback for the future. Maybe ideas will come to me one day. Here’s to hope.

2 Likes

I am super-happy too. I want to grow as a reviewer and editor as well.

2 Likes

So it could be something like:

• David wants to go back in time before Vicente exists and ends up in 1966
  • He meets people from the Clockers and figures out he’s in Angel Falls
  • David ends up getting a job and living a bit and enjoys it
  • He finds his ‘book’ and realizes that some of the events are off
  • He has to go back to the Clockers Commission and he checks the files
  • He realizes that some of the Clockers are changing history with their time travel
  • He tracks down the Clockers who are messing up time the most and he bumps into a version of himself, from the future, fighting for Bush at the Commission and he tells him about all the messed up things that have happened since the 1960s through his “family”
  • David asks about Vicente and realizes that Vicente is dead Although Vicente annoys him, David starts to feel regret and he wants to fix the timeline and the chaos around it
  • After more digging, he realizes that he has to kill the Dissenters of the Clockers Commission (the ones who messed up the timeline) but he doesn’t realize that he’s a part of it and that some of the Commission were sent to kill him too
  • David then realizes that the only way to not die is to reset the timeline, but he does back to the 1960s and is comfortable there
  • If he is comfortable, then he can’t fix time or bring back Vicente and more chaos will ensue
  • He needs to figure out how to reset everything without upsetting the timeline too much before history becomes too messed up

maybe NOBODY DIES in 1st. Make it really big stake. However, that alternative to the stake is now to shallow. Just comfortable? It gotta be more… is there something in the 1966 that makes it his staying there very, very important? Or is losing this altered timeline and squishing Dissent is contrary to his nature? Does he feel people should be able to mess with history because history SHOULD be corrected for the best? Is saving Vincent worth giving up on, I dunno, correcting humankind’s course (probably make it a limited reach for time travel, like 200 years or so?)

the two points that follow are too vague at the moment. You need a strong finale where Dave commits to one course of actions, the obstacles he overcomes and a finale that is the reason you wrote this story in the first place. What did Dave learn? That blood is not water and he loves Vincente despite his drawbacks and that’s far more important than big stuff/theoretical fate of the humanity? Or, on the opposite, that duty requires sacrifice? Whatever he decides, I suggest a huge, satisfying finale for it with the final win and the lesson learned.

Basically, finish with a BANG! Work throughout the story toward that.

1 Like

I was gonna add more to that. Have it be something like:

• He needs to figure out how to reset everything without upsetting the timeline too much before history becomes too messed up.

• After some research, David realizes that he has to go to a place outside San Diego where there is a closed portal that only he can open, near the border to reset the timeline, but he doesn’t want to go because things are going well for him, for once and he likes living in the 1960s compared to the 1990s before.

• The Clockers is becoming more chaotic and more people are Dissenting. History is becoming more messed up. He doesn’t want to leave the life he’s made behind, but the history-changing events are starting to affect his own timeline in a bad way.

• The leader of the Dissenters wants to cause more chaos and travel through more timezones, but David still doesn’t want to stop him because he doesn’t want to lose this timeline, even if Vicente dies (?)

• When chaos starts to ensue, and it starts to affect the people around him, including his dog and girlfriend, he decides that if he has a strong enough bond with them prior to going back in time and resetting things, he will find them both in another timeline. It’s also the only way to get Vicente back.

• David decides after some thinking to go to San Diego. The Dissidents catch a drift of this, and they follow him to San Diego with loaded guns and try to kill him.

• David has to fight off the Dissidents one by one, and re-open the portal using both his knowledge and his powers. Eventually, he opens it up and he goes inside the portal and out to the other side to reset everything. He gets Vicente back and realizes that he loves him (even if he is annoying) and vows never to let him get killed again.

• His dog and girlfriend appear beside him, but his dog is a White German Shepherd and not a Standard colored one. His girlfriend has red hair and green eyes. He thinks that something is off, but it ends on a cliffhanger?

Maybe this could work better? He has overcome an obstacle, and the finale seems to have taught him that family is important, and the reason why he went through the portal? :thinking:

Do not reduce the stakes by this consideration. He makes a sacrifice. Then your last bit with a ghostly manifestation pays off as a cliffhanger ending in a wtf is going on here? way.

So, if your ultimate conclusion is that he loves his brother and changes his mind, now espousing a conservative outlook on history, look at your outline again, flesh out both conflicts, internal and external, and firm up Dave as a character at the start. You already have a rebel in his initial concept, as in a neurosurgeon who decided to be a DJ, who doubts family values, and keep working until it all logically builds up from the initial “I can’t stand Vincent any more, I wish he was never born!” spark of the conflict.

And, oh! Is his girlfriend a Dissenter? Becomes a Dissenter?

Anyway, go for it. You have great bones here, so work your writing muscles. Make sure conflicts are front and center and you have an original, snappy fiction. Just don’t let it loose the beat by opening pressure relief valves.

1 Like