Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 1)

haha thanks!

yeah that’s what I’m hoping to do today :sweat_smile: that is, assuming I don’t have writers block on this one too lmao

that’s pretty good!

2 Likes

I am working atm, so hoping to get in the whole, Oh, no, all is lost, my life was a lie, they all betrayed me… in the evening. But yeah, I need to summon passion because I got distracted by inventing the cool provenance for the treasure that I added in the conversation that is about to become All is Lost…

2 Likes

I was able to write a ton for a while, but then I just got burnt out.

2 Likes

Yeah this happens when I write a whole lot in one setting. I try to take day breaks in between writing sessions. It helps me want to keep writing and working on my WIPs

3 Likes

Especially weird since I’ve been working on it constantly since last summer.

3 Likes

That’s probably why you are burnt out tbh. I always rotate between a few works so that I have something else to keep me preoccupied while I am working on my main WIP

3 Likes

Ah ok

3 Likes

I know for me if I work on one thing for a while it gets boring :woman_shrugging: Idk if that works for anyone else though.

3 Likes

well, that’s entirely plausible, but let’s hope not :crossed_fingers:

ahah, whoops. I actually wrote 300 instead of 3k, typo! :rofl: :see_no_evil:

Hahaha, I get that. I find that moment is where every lie the character’s have told and every truth we authors have held from the reader come to light and that absolutely crushes the character. But it’s fine, it’s fine, because the aha moment comes very soon! :wink:

3 Likes

still better than nothing!

2 Likes

Yup!

Finishing off for today at 54.5K, a good place, and working toward the bottom of the low point.

3 Likes

Posted my Chapter 5 tonight. I was a bit stuck in finishing it for a bit there but hoping that the following chapters won’t be met with the same complete lack of motivation :joy:

1 Like

I plan on doing an anthology or something that could become a novel someday.

I don’t know. I’ll see where it goes.

3 Likes

@DomiSotto Thanks for the advice. I’ll try an incorporate some of that (and try to check out some of the people that you mentioned) into my writing.

As for daily progress, I unexpectedly managed to add 2k to my chapter after being stuck with writer’s block. Part of what helped was that I played up the tensions between my MC’s older sister and his mom about guns, an important topic in my apocalyptic story, which helped keep me motivated since tension keeps things exciting to write. Also, I had to do some random researching about chimneys and their maintenance.

3 Likes

Me to me when I write nonsense just to get words on a page:
20210311_210111

5 Likes

My characters are all going to go off and do separate tasks, but it’s a single POV so I’m only going to be following Halfhuman MC. He’s supposed to go with his frenemy to the frenemy’s father’s company to steal a few weapons so they can fight the Human mafia guards at the mafia’s weapon hold and get back an important notebook that has important information.

I feel like something more should happen to MC because I won’t be doing a POV switch. Maybe the stakes should be higher.

An ambush? They are all about to go forth to do their stuff and they get ambushed? Maybe.

Should the corrupt Halfhuman police ambush the base or should the Human mafia enemy ambush the base? Should they both ambush the base because they’re working together? There’s also a political Halfhuman cult involved. Should THEY ambush the base?

How much chaos can happen in one location? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wrote 1,400 words today and edited 6,300, finishing up a chapter I restarted last week. I don’t know why I have to write such long chapters. I’m happy with the way it came out but I know that it’s kind of off-putting to readers.

3 Likes

A lot!

2 Likes

For sure, and grats!

2 Likes

Don’t worry about that and just split the chapter into parts on-line. If you can round up each of the splits with some punchy line or exciting cliffhanger, and start the next part with a quick recap line, all the better

2 Likes