Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 1)

Something has been bouncing around my head lately.

You know how there’s this advice going around that basically all “experts” agree on, to finish your draft before you start editing?

It’s a solid advice since editing slows you down and you might need to tell yourself the story in full first before you know how to edit it.

Despite agreeing with this advice, I have been consistently breaking it and I’ve always felt guilty about it, blaming my slow progress on this unhealthy compulsion to edit.

But.

What if it isn’t a bad thing?

This got long

Hear me out.

The stories I’ve written while following this type of advice were the ones I wrote in a rush - for NaNoWriMo, for ONC, etc. And what do they all have in common? I’m not happy with those first drafts. Each one has to be completely rewritten from scratch.

Lately, I’ve been prioritizing my mental wellbeing and lowered the pressure I’ve put on myself before to write write write. As a result, my progress is slow. The past few weeks, I’ve gone over previous chapters to edit them a lot more than adding new ones because that’s all my tired brain has been able to handle. And there’s a constant result of this new habit: the story is taking a very solid shape.

It’s become my natural process now. I read back or listen to a chapter and notice that something feels off. This “off” feeling usually leads me to the character’s mental state. It’s not consistent when compared to what happened prior. They’re not processing previous revelation or are reacting to it inconsistently with their established patterns.

And so I fix these scenes. It’s usually a small change, could be as little as two lines but it makes a huge difference.

But most importantly, that little change has the potential to affect all scenes going forward. And so if I kept writing and not fixing that earlier problem, everything going forward would be off and would require even bigger revisions. And I’ll tell you, when every chapter you wrote feels off, it makes you think that the entire story is off and you need to fix the whole idea. And that’s how complete rewrites are happening. Rewrites that could be avoided if I took a step back during the writing process to make those little fixes.

So, what if this edit while you write process isn’t so bad? If the end result is a story that flies properly from chapter to chapter, then maybe it’s worth it to write it slowly like this? Maybe this is the process that works for me?

And it makes sense too. I’m not just a compulsive editor. I’m also a compulsive planner. So I DO already know what story I’m telling when I write it. So the whole reason for no editing because you don’t know what the full story is, it no longer applies.

And so I’m going to stop beating myself over this habit. Instead of writing fast and needing tons of edits/rewrites later, I’m writing slowly and carefully but in the end will (hopefully) need fewer edits.

6 Likes

I just don’t write well if I know that something behind is not right. There are types of editing that’s fine to do later, but some stuff imo has to be addressed right away. Plus, this advice comes from the times when people sat on their drafts for years and the only way to get them out in public was to publish. So, they had to find their writing groups and what not to do things in person, the long way. We write differently now

4 Likes

I vaguely remember Princess Mouseskin. But I likely read all of them because I read a lot of retranslated Grimm as a child. They were a part of the classic sets.

1 Like

9/10 of the law is possession, right? (Old saying.)

9/10 in this case is completion, and a lot of people haven’t completed a damn thing that they stop to edit the middle of.

So, if you can complete the whole thing, no matter where you place or time the edits, then everything is fair game.

2 Likes

I think it’s also very applicable advice for people that struggle with finishing. It’s easy to get caught up in editing so much, you lose the will to continue.

But as for me, I’ve already proven to myself that I can finish a story. And I’ve learned a bunch of tricks how to overcome a writer’s block.

So it’s time to stop following advice meant for others.

5 Likes

I’ve apparently hit my one year anniversary on Wacky, yay! :tada:

Also, wrote the death scene of a character in a prologue book that doesn’t even exist yet to the main book that I haven’t even finished editing yet, but it’s making me cry, and I feel like, YES! This will break people! I’m the author, and even I don’t want him to die! So that means I must be doing the writing thing right? :laughing: :supervillain: (never mind that this scene is just in a lonely document without enough words around it to be considered a “book” yet) :laughing:

4 Likes

Nah, I’m the same way. I can’t just “write” and not do any editing at ALL! I can’t resist! It’s physically painful haha and it’s also hard for me to be excited to write more if I feel like what I have so far is total crap or doesn’t feel right. It’s like a domino effect. No, it doesn’t have to be perfect, but it has to feel good enough that I can latch onto writing future chapters or else I just lose all the mojo. That’s why I’ve been re-editing the same 5 chapters for my second draft for weeks now. :laughing: (To be fair, I haven’t been working on them very often) If I’m not satisfied with these first chapters, especially now that I have a better idea of what changes I want to make in the second draft, I can’t keep going. It’ll literally affect the quality of the chapters that come after. :thinking:

4 Likes

Finishing an original story is my greatest kryptonite. It took me a handful of years/hiatuses, but I did manage to finish my first draft, but I HAD to edit. And now in my second draft, I still am editing. I can’t just write, and do literally no editing. Especially when I step away from the doc, come back another time, I re-read what I wrote last to “get back in the zone” and if I find things, I need to fix them right then and there. It’ll bug me if I don’t. :grimacing:

3 Likes

If you can figure it out, I commend you for it. I wanted to do the same with my blog, but the more I realized how much “work” there was involved to set up said “passive income” the less motivated I became. :laughing: The blog’s been up for years, it has Google Adsense on it randomly stuck in there and if I’m lucky, I get $100 a year. IF I’m lucky. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

You’re totally right. If previous chapters don’t feel right, it can be very demotivating.

Hey, $100 is not bad.

When I applied for adsense a while back, I got denied for not enough traffic. I might have enough traffic now but I haven’t applied again. Honestly, I hate ads on other sites. It’s like this constant reminder that Google keeps track of everything I do.

It reminds me of that time when I bought a dollhouse for a gift once and then kept seeing ads for dollhouses on every site for months. Creepy af.

I don’t mind affiliate links as long as they’re relevant to the content and there’s actually content worth reading so that’s why I’m leaning that way. I don’t want to do to my visitors what I hate myself.

2 Likes

I feel the same way too. I edit a lot, but I finish the books. It’s just how I write and I am comfortable with it.

2 Likes

Also, reworked chapters 1&2, hoping that it brings the main character to where he needs to be to become likable.

1 Like

There is a genre that likes to prologue death scenes all the time.

2 Likes

Really? :thinking: I’ve never heard of that.

1 Like

Regressor mangas are about starting from the death of the MC and jumps back a bunch of years to re-live a life that went wrong. If it’s Chapter 0, that’s a “Next Time, On Dragon Ball Z” approach, and it takes snippits of the first few chapters, to give a feel for how the Manga will progress. Sometimes, it’s just the start of chapter 1. Any which way it starts the story. Isekai is coming from one world to another and a good bit of Isekai is the spirit coming from another world, and at least the body regressing.

The most common are beheadings and swords run through people. Lastest one I put up in the manga discussion was a dying firefighter regressing.

Some of those are adapted from novels or are adapted to novels, but as it’s usually written in Korean, it depends on how the translation is before I’ll pick up the novel.

2 Likes

I maintain that he gave you bad advice about the hook u-u

It is a little early to make this a complaint. An observation, sure, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a character being unlikeable in the beginning of a story. If anything, it’s a good thing because it gives you a lot of room to show their development into a likeable person by the end of the book.

Depending on the story, you don’t even have to make them likeable by the end tbh but I’m assuming that’s you’re goal, since you’re writing romance :sweat_smile:

But at any rate, don’t stress too much about your character being unlikeable in the first arc. You’ve got time to give him a redemption arc.

Good. lol

1 Like

one of the hinges on my laptop seized :upside_down_face:

it opens and closes with gentle force but it’s wedging the screen and the casing apart so I’ll have to try and dismantle it and idk, hope some cleaning helps? I don’t even know how it happened, it opened just fine last night but i damn near broke the thing because it jammed as I was closing it.

2 Likes

This sucks. Hope you can fix it.

I feel in a romance, I need people to feel positive about the narrator right away, otherwise they wouldn’t want a romance for the character. I kindda feel that what I did with Nick’s advice plugged the character into the plot better on a personal level, but it also steered it away from romantic tropes in a way that made it less appealing as a romance. Plus, Nick didn’t feel it was hooking anyway.

I kindda feel that in romance the important first emotional reaction should be ‘I like this dude/dudette and want them to be happy, because right now they are not happy’. I think it’s less of a ‘this sounds like an interesting situation, wonder what happens next’.

Like, maybe it’s not a huge revelation, but I want to think about it.

2 Likes

Anyway, I spent my writing time on editing chapters 1 & 2 of the Fireman’s Girl and thinking about it, but I finished a fair bit of reading. I still have 4 chapters to read, plus 6, I think, coming today, but I might have decided to stop writing thirsty fiction for now and just focus on the Fireman’s Girl to maybe just finish the first draft.

I will return to Radsih story when I can.

That certainly follows a Kiss method.

Kiss is “Keep it simple, stupid” or “keep it simple-stupid” (seen it used both ways). It means getting back to a core element on a level that children could reason through without much help. The lazy way of doing that is tropes and stereotypes that people tend to like. (Lazy is only bad when it’s poorly executed.)

But figuring out what people like in a character does have a lot of generics that go across the board. The specifics is where it can bite you. We have a rapidly changing culture that can’t agree on a heck of a lot of personality traits right now, which makes it harder to target an audience in a “trendy” manner.

I think other than a dramatic start, #5 on this list is a useful thing:

https://www.inc.com/marcel-schwantes/science-says-these-6-traits-will-make-you-a-likabl.html

You describe them as very happy in an early experience, just radiating life, and likeable may follow suit.

2 Likes