Suddenly, I have a big urge to change romance

Okay, so when I outlined this book, I wanted my mc to end up with her coach. There is actually two main love interest, John the coach and Joey the friend, and that was all I wanted. No more interest. I thought it was a great idea and was really excited about it.

After typing 25k words, I started thinking about letting a random boy that was mentioned only three times in the story so far to ask her out and get him immediately rejected. The side character and the mc never really talked until the middle of the story, and as I was writing their small conversation, I slowly started to fall in love with the sc.

Do you guys think it will be okay for me to let my mc end up with this side character that was rarely mentioned until the 25k mark?

I already made a whole bunch of scenes of the mc with the coach and the friend btw, so a lot happened lol.

Would you enjoy a story where the mc ends up with a side character that’s rarely mentioned until halfway, especially after all of the development with the other characters?

4 Likes

I say yes if you can can enough development for the guy

1 Like

I guess I’ll try to squeeze in as many scenes as possible.

I’m curious, but would you enjoy a romance story like that?

1 Like

Depending on how it’s executed. I’m a fairly flexible reader. I just don’t want it completely coming out of no where if that makes sense

2 Likes

I’ve never really read a romance book like that since romance is all about rooting for a particular ship, and the love interest usually appears quite at the beginning of the book. I personally wouldn’t be happy that the couple I’ve been rooting for long doesn’t work anymore and the girl ends up with another guy (since it’s 25k words alrdy), but if you can really make me fall in love with the side character then who knows? Also, I feel like this is more of a chicklit if the romance works like that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think it’s dangerous to write a romance in which the MC ends up with someone you’ve put on the back burner the entire book. I’d feel like the author wasted my time, especially if I truly thought she was going to end up with one of the love interests. Subverting expectations can be a messy business.

However, if you were writing a drama with a romantic subplot, that’s entirely different. AKA: 500 Days of Summer. I love stories where the main romance is toxic and messy and the MC ends up alone or with some random guy at the end she’s only exchanged a few words with. The genre and the message revolve around self growth, not love. So the expectation is self growth, not love. This can be executed really well!

It comes down to how you advertise. If you portray this book as a romantic comedy and build up a healthy romance only to pull a new love interest out of your pocket in the last few chapters, your readers aren’t going to be very thrilled with you.

2 Likes

What about I add some little scenes between the sc and the mc before the 25k mark then?

I don’t know why, but as I wrote the communication between the MC and the love interests, it felt plain and dull and, they both don’t match at all until I added the SC. When I typed down the conversation between the MC and SC, I thought that they fit for each other.

2 Likes

If it doesn’t feel natural I say just push through the book. It’s the first draft, right? You can always edit it to where the SC is one of the interests, or he’s there more. Just make it to where you feel that it works.

1 Like

I’d definitely recommend adding this character into the early scenes of the story. Even if he’s not the immediate focus (perhaps she is more interested in the other two at first), have some scenes with him and the MC sprinkled in. Maybe spice up his backstory a bit, instead of just “random guy that asks the MC out”. Maybe he’s had feelings for her for a while or something.

The thing is, when love interests are introduced that late in a story, because of the structure of modern romantic literature and film, the expectation from the audience is that this person is merely serving as an obstacle to the main love interest, that eventually she’ll go back to choosing between the coach and the friend. So when that doesn’t happen, your audience will likely be either confused, upset, or both.

2 Likes

MORE SIDE CHA CTER LOVE INTEREST!!!

I say go for it!!!

I’m already planning his back story now 0.0

I changed the MC’s path now, and I’m planning to make the SC end up with the MC. I guess after I’m done with the nanowrimo event, I’ll add a little more scenes for them and make sure it’s obvious that she’ll end up with him. :smiley:

2 Likes

YASS!! I’m going for it!

That’s great!! I’m sure it’ll work out. Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean, you should write what you feel is the most organic relationship, but this is why I encourage people to write their outlines or first drafts offline. I would feel cheated as a reader if I thought you were setting up a romance that didn’t happen.

1 Like