📖 The Great Reading Competition of 2021: We Have Our Winners!! 📖

Congratulations to @SiberianTiggy and @BlairMontgomery for their respective wins!

Thank you to all who participated! Hopefully in the future, we can host more competitions like this!

Happy New Year Wacky Members! To celebrate putting 2020 behind us, we are hosting a NEW competition!

But this one is a little different than our last competitions because the stakes are a little bit higher. Before I tell you all about those, let me explain.

We want to promote authors and the members of our forum as much as possible. But this time, we want to encourage new readers, too! So we put together a competition that will reward the authors with the most new reads, and the readers who read the most! Here’s how it works.

• Authors who want to participate will need to submit their Wacky username, the name of the book they want entered, the number of posted chapters, and the current wordcount of the book as of submission. We also need a complete summary (500 words or less) of the posted content as of submission. This includes any plot twists or the ending, if applicable. Your summary will not be posted anywhere.

• Books do not need to be completed. We are judging this contest based on number of posted words, not number of chapters.

• We understand sometimes authors make edits, and that’s fine, you don’t need to provide us an updated wordcount. However, if you post new chapters, you will need to send us a modification of your existing wordcount and summary.

• Readers who want to participate will need to submit their Wacky username, the title of the novel and the author’s username (on the writing platform, not Wacky), and a short summary of what you read for each book read. (At this point in the post, we’ve hit about 250 words. We’re asking for somewhere between 100-200).

• Since we are judging wordcount, not chapters, you will need to read the entire posted work to get credit for a read. Commenting or voting is not required.

But CJ, that seems like a lot of work for one contest, why?

Because…

We are giving away a $25 Amazon gift card to the reader who reads the most words…
And a $25 Amazon gift card to the author who gets the most words read.

(We know not all countries have access to Amazon – if that is the case for your country and you win, we will provide you a gift card in the same amount for a comparable service)

• Top reader and top author will also get a badge and a custom title (but we know you really care about the cold, hard cash :wink:).
  • Authors will ALSO get their very own custom house ad that will run on the forums for a month. (You know the Wisp ads everyone thinks are so cute? It’s like one of them, designed by you (or a designer you like), and implemented into the forums by CJ)

We will begin the competition on January 4, and it will run through February 4. We are actively accepting book submissions now. Authors can submit here. Book lists will be posted on January 4th for readers to begin reading. We will post leaderboards when we start receiving entries.

We’re really excited to be hosting this contest and we encourage you to share it with authors you like and readers you have! Good luck to all who participate!

-CJ :wackywriters:

The additional fine print:

• Readers must read books from the submitted novels. We will not count reads of works from authors who are not participating.
  • If you read all the submitted books by regular Wacky users, we will assign you works from the mods to continue your reading streak (mods and admins are ineligible for this competition, so the only counted words will be for the readers who read their works).
  • Unfortunately, residents of Quebec and the countries of Italy, Brazil, Taiwan, Cuba, Iran, Lebanon, Syria, The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Libya, Sudan, and Somalia are ineligible to win monetary prizes in this contest. You’re still welcome to participate for the badges, titles, and other non-monetary prizes.
  • See all the rules here.

AVAILABLE BOOKS
BOOK TITLE/AUTHOR WORD COUNT
The Burden of Us by MiniMoxx 113,917
Permission to Escape by Random_Roze 44,000
Ride of the Dead: A Story of Forgotten Souls by BloodR0se17 36,291
Ambivalence by PastelStickyNotes 26,150
Forgotten Wolf by Siberiantiggy (Book 1 of series) 117,124
Hidden Wolf by Siberiantiggy (Book 2 of series) 119,862
Erase and Rewind by Allison_Hei 55,000
On Sapphire Wings and Jade Scales by Nightingale257 44,804
Drawing My Ocean by BlairMontgomery 13,600
When the World Ends by breathingchemicals 50,000
Perfectly Unexpected by MiniMoxx 90,690
The Two That Killed My Parents … And Me by randallhawke 8,000
Riven Isles by AloofFloof 126,000
Ma Rosie Comes Home For Christmas by mimidreamsinwords 10,042
Out of Reach by Manya707 21,100
Shattered (Sample) by MiniMoxx 6,326
Above & Beyond by pipwusa 119,650
Online Horror Show by Ellen_Reese 5,663
Silent Hill: Angel by Ellen_Reese 34,459
My Forever by VioletDaylight 222
Missing by stella_vigo 1,515
Time Flies by stella_vigo 958
Letters to the Ones I’ve Loved by Norwood515 1,459
Woman’s Resolve to Stay Single by Faithienss 83,979

23 Likes
Submit your completed reading here!

READER LEADERBOARD

||||||||
|:—|:—|:—:|:—|:—|—:|—:|—:expressionless:
|#| | READER| | | | COUNT |
|1| |BlairMontgomery| | | | 452,699 :trophy:|
|2| |Qwerty| | | | 273,031 :silver_trophy: |
|3| |Random_Roze| | | |236,986 :bronze_trophy:|
|4| || | | ||
|5| || | | ||
|6| || | | ||
|7| || | | ||
|8| || | | ||

AUTHOR LEADERBOARD
||||||||
|:—|:—|:—:|:—|:—|—:|—:|—:expressionless:
|#| | AUTHOR| | | | COUNT |
|1| |SiberianTiggy| | | | 354,110 :trophy:|
|2| |MiniMoxx| | ||331,286 :silver_trophy:|
|2| |pipwusa| | ||119,650 :bronze_trophy:|
|3| |Faithienss| | | | 83,979 |
|4| | PastelStickyNotes | | | |52,300|
|4| | randall_hawke | | | |16,000 |
|5| |Norwood515| | | |2,918|
|6| |stella_vigo| | | |2,473|
|7| || | | ||
|8| || | | ||

10 Likes

The rules frant Wacky Writers to print the book & distribute?!

I’m sorry, how do you mean?

There is a section in the rules that says Wacky has rights to print and distribute the book. That threw me off a lot because no, I am not giving up any copyrights.

So I just wanted to clarify this bit.

Ah, you mean this bit, yes?

your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Contest, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes.

Sorry for the confusing legalese, lol. CJ had to whip it up because real money’s involved this time.

Your ‘entry’, as mentioned in the terms, will consist of a summary of your book, along with your username, wordcount etc. So the rights are not granted to publish your book, but to be allowed to advertise it on our platform.

Hope that helps. If not, @CJtheSiteWizard will clarify further once she’s around :slight_smile:

Nope. I meant the bit right before it:

" Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that Wacky Writers, anyone acting on behalf of Wacky Writers, and Wacky Writers’ licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation."

Print, publish, broadcast & distribute what exactly? And what does without limitation mean? It doesn’t say and when it comes to legal agreements vague terms are dangerous.

1 Like

…your entry :slight_smile: It’s all one (admittedly very long) sentence, lemme break it down:

By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that Wacky Writers, anyone acting on behalf of Wacky Writers, and Wacky Writers’ licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Contest, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes.

So, not your book. Just the details you submit to us for the contest.

1 Like

Where do we need to send in any word count modifications for submitted works?

1 Like

You submit an update through the same form, there’s a box for you to tick when filling it out - either a ‘new’ or ‘existing’ submission :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, the word count is only what we have published for readers to see, right? If the story has like 15k written offline, but only 6.3k posted online, we would only share with you the 6.3k word count? I’m probably not participating since my book is so short right now, but I just wanted to clarify in case this gets hosted again later or I change my mind, ahaha.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s correct, we would only take into account publicly ‘readable’ words :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To confirm this, yes. All it means is you give us permission to post about it on our social media in the event you win - you absolutely definitely most assuredly still retain all copyrights, publishing rights, etc. This is just for the contest.

2 Likes

I think the intention is good but the wording remains very off. Any chance of amendments in writing?

1 Like

Since the wording is done in a way to protect us from a legal perspective, no.

1 Like

Alright best of luck.

2 Likes

Alright, thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

Regarding the summary - is it like a blurb format or do you want us to lay out all the details of the story?

1 Like

It’s the entire story. It won’t be shared anywhere, it’s mostly for us to confirm readers have read your book (and good practice to write summaries cuz it’s a good skill to have for query letters :wink:)

3 Likes

Ok so it doesn’t need to sound too fancied up? It’s not like a logline?

2 Likes