The (Writing) Craft Club

I would ask why you’d want to emphasize an artificial structure over the demands of the story. The STORY should dictate who the pov character should be. An artificially imposed structure isn’t going to benefit your story, in my opinion. There is NO benefit to balanced page time either. If one character is hogging the page time, that character is likely your (one) protagonist. That, too, is a good thing!

1 Like

There is no rule the narrator has to be detached. Omniscient doesn’t mean objective.

Think about… a grandmother telling a story about her grandchild. Or a husband telling a story about his beloved wife. They’re not even close to objective! Their feelings about the people in the story will greatly color how they talk about them.

3 Likes

Thank you! That’s good to know. Everything I’ve read online says omniscient is supposed to be objective, but actually I don’t see why that should be either. You’re totally awesome! ٩(˘◡˘)۶

2 Likes

Probably because the unevenness of it otherwise kinda annoys me :sweat_smile:

Ohh okay. I’ll have to work on this then :joy: Thank you! :blush:

2 Likes

To add to that, it sounds a lot like character A is the main protagonist of the series since that’s the common denominator.

As much as we want to argue that we have two main characters, one will always be main-er.

This is important in a series because readers get attached. If character B isn’t present in the second book, it makes it even more important to make your protagonist clear in the first book. Readers might still get attached to the supporting character but at least you’ll set the right expectation.

It happens to me when I read series.
I remember when I was reading Percy Jackson books, when Riordan switched from a single pov to multi-pov format, I was frustrated. I’d skim through the other povs. I was impatient to get to Percy chapters.

Now imagine my disappointed if the last book in the PJ series didn’t have Percy’s pov at all. I would’ve been pissed.

1 Like

I see your point, and it does make a lot of sense. Thing is, my character B is important as a way to pave my character A’s arc. :sweat_smile: Readers have to get attached, because otherwise a lot of themes and messaged conveyed in the second book won’t be fully gripped.

I actually preferred the multiple POV’s :joy: But I get where you’re coming from. I’ll try to figure out a way to work this out. Thank you for your thoughts! :blush:]

1 Like

That’s a valid plan.

Readers can very easily get attached to supporting cast. But the more screen time the author gives them, the more readers expect of that character’s arc.

It genuinely infuriated me in My Sister’s Keeper when the MC’s brother didn’t get a resolution. I connected to him the most, I was rooting for him and then nothing. The story ended and he was forgotten by the author.
So while supporting cast might exist only as a tool for the main story, they’re still important.

1 Like

I agree, and I’m going to make sure that the arc is resolved, not left open-ended. I’ve also come across stories where the side characters are forgotten, so I’m hoping to avoid that, and if it does happen somehow, tie up the loose ends well. :grin:

1 Like