Things pertaining to writing that you WISHED you knew before you became heavily into writing???

I think I had it from the start. I was just writing fairly short stories.

1 Like

As much as you get frustrated with not being quite where you want to be, having finished several books make it easier to try again, no?

Iā€™m hoping itā€™s that way for more ā€œsteady mindsā€. Iā€™ve liked that Iā€™ve finished 1st drafts and edited enough. It does give me an edge to try againā€¦

But for me, completing any task is lime trying to hang on to a tangled ball of eels. I know I can do thisā€¦but so many things still undone. Stories that just flow out of me are easy to finish. Any point where it bogs down and takes effort?

Those are the things I need to tackle, next. Prove that I can handle finishing things in a slump. Lol

2 Likes

Before I knew it, I was heavily into writing :stuck_out_tongue:

Thereā€™s nothing I wish I knew beforehand because every step, every challenge I faced helped me grow as a writer. I donā€™t know if knowing it beforehand would have changed anything, to be honest.

Sometimes I wonder if it would have been better I knew beforehand that self pub could be a way to go because querying terrified me. But back when I started writing, self pub was not the way to go. In fact, a lot of indie books were low quality and there wasnā€™t a lot of respect for them anyway. So, it wouldnā€™t have changed anything by knowing beforehand that I could publish on my own.

Iā€™ve also wondered if I knew that I didnā€™t have to do intense, complex world building for my story, maybe I wouldnā€™t have spent 7 years writing a novel. But if I didnā€™t realize a writing style on my own, I might not have developed the one I have today.

But if I have to say one thing, maybe NaNoWriMo. That really helped me speed up my novel writing. If I try really hard every day, I can now write a 50k word novel in two weeks. It might have been nice to get this skill earlier on in my writing life.

2 Likes

Harder. Every failure makes the next new start harder.

1 Like

I wish I knew that drafts donā€™t always have to be perfect.
And I wish I knew that it was okay to step back from a draft because it wasnā€™t working - I spent so long demotivated and trying to rewrite one book before finally shelving it a little more than a year ago, and Iā€™ve been much more motivated since then. I was beating myself up over not being able to make something better - when the truth was that I did not have any vision for the story, and I was trying to act like I knew what I was doing.

2 Likes

A fight with the feeling of futility. That is a hard barrier to overcome.

But like insanity wolfā€™s attitude, itā€™s living life in hard mode.

1 Like

Thereā€™s weakness in every story. Thinking Tom Bombadill. Thereā€™s a reason why his character was just skipped in the movies, entirely.

Not that the writing itself was bad, Tolkien doesnā€™t write poorly, but itā€™s an unnecessary segue to the overall story, and if it was anyone other than Tolkien, thatā€™s the point where readers who managed to stick through the start would be giving up at.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s EXACTLY where I quit reading the book! Mind you, Iā€™d thought there were silly parts before then too, but when Tom Bombadil and the River Otter are introduced it just maxed out my suspension of disbelief, and I couldnā€™t go any further. (*惻_惻)惎āŒ’*

TB is like an introduction to drunk poetry in the middle of a death scene. Heā€™s not that atrocious if you donā€™t take him as a part of that story. (Or if he was comedic relief in a movie.) The problem is that modern placement should have had him ferry them through quicker, or been more serious about making his Pan/Puck limited space atributes hit a little harder so that we get that heā€™s very powerful where heā€™s at, but no further. Tolkien did that like 10x better with other characters.

Tolkien was really fond of ā€œpocket Godsā€.

1 Like

I wish that someone wouldā€™ve told me that your writing is gonna suck the first few times.

When I was new to writing, no one was honest with me about anything. I was told my work was goodā€”but only that, no criticism, no constructive comments, etc.ā€”and that was it. No one showed me the ropes. No one ā€œtrainedā€ me or gave me any advice. It wasnā€™t until much later when I realized that my work sucked and I felt horrible for it, even to a point of giving up. But I decided to keep going and Iā€™m glad I did. However, I still see people get frustrated by how insecure they are about their work and think they suck at writing or theyā€™re told it isnā€™t good and all they want to do is quit. I wish it was more acceptable to understand that your first few stories arenā€™t going to be like authentic art from Leonardo Da Vince or Picasso.

1 Like

Preach!