This is a strange mindset to me.. a little.

The mindset:

There are stories that I would rather write, but never go to the editing stage…ever. On the flipside is that, there are stories I would rather pants then move towards the editing stages. The stories I want to fully edit and revise aren’t even the stories I want publish some day (there is no longer a story like that).

It’s strange because the way I am looking at it is that I am writing, but not writing to grow and become a better writer for my sake. I still prefer not to go the publishing route and that also applies for revealing my fiction on a writing site.

Maybe I just want to write but never strive to get better which sounds dumb as hell, since I can still enjoy writing, but also allow myself to grow and do better.

I don’t know! I am just a walking and breathing entity of confusion.
Any thoughts?

3 Likes

That’s literally what about 99% of YA and Romance published authors do now so it’s okay :joy:

2 Likes

Is it now?

Is it really fine to follow that path when I have the potential to get better and still enjoy the writing for myself experience?

Sometimes I worry…

1 Like

Sounds like you’re saying that you think you should publish or share your writing because you write. Did I read that right?

Being a writer doesn’t mean you have to publish or share your work anywhere. There’s a writer I follow on IG who doesn’t have the goal to publish their writing ever. They do share tiny dialogue snippets or bits of lore, but that’s it. They actually do edit their story but that’s just because they enjoy it. I’m not putting words in their mouth. They talked about it in a post.

So, do what you want :stuck_out_tongue:

I want to share my stories with people which is why I put my writing on Wattpad and why I want to publish. I also want to hold my own book one day. But that’s just me. You do you :wink:

1 Like

Not really.

What I meant is that I am conflicted on whether I should edit my stories in order to become a better writer or just write fiction for fun and stay in an area where I don’t progress to become a decent or better writer, since I am only interested in writing for fun.

Does that make sense?

1 Like

I see… so now I have two questions:

Do you find editing fun?

Do you want to improve your writing skills?

The saddest thing is I don’t know how to edit…properly if that makes senses.

Yeah, I would love to do that, even if I am not being ambitious about it for career purposes.

That requires reading more and that is a major obstacle for me with my current issues.

1 Like

I have a self-editing checklist from an editor’s website if you’d like to try that out. If I can find it again. I always put those resource things in weird places.

1 Like

That sounds great.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being a hobby writer! I know, we’re living in a hustle culture where everything we do is supposed to bring in money, but is that making anyone happy? Nope, it’s just making everyone burned out. Doing something for fun is the best reason to do it, even if there’s no financial benefit. ◦°˚\(*❛‿❛)/˚°◦

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply.

What about writing for strictly fun with no plans of editing your finished novel, purely because of an odd mixture of “I don’t know what I am doing” to “I am not showing this story to anyone…ever”?

Editing would help me improve even if I am writing purely for hobby purposes.

Still, even if I knew how to edit a story pretty well, I would still rather not do it I suppose.

1 Like

If you hate editing and don’t intend to let anyone see your writing ever, then why bother to edit it? There’s no point in torturing yourself just to keep a beautifully polished story in a drawer. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

That is very true.
Thank you very much.

I feel bad for letting @TheTigerWriter help me out the way she did.

Sorry, @TheTigerWriter. :disappointed:

1 Like

Well, why feel bad? There’s nothing wrong with getting help with a book you’re writing just for the fun of it. It may not see the light of day, but it’s important to you that it’s a logical story, so there’s nothing wrong with bouncing ideas off of someone else just like if it was going to be a published book. And who knows, if it turns out really well you may change your mind someday and publish it anyway. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

Don’t be sorry. As I said, you do you :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks so much.

1 Like