Traveling for a story!

Do you mean “The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” ? If so, that was Dorothea Lange.

3 Likes

You can use Google Maps/Earth to get the look of a location, but you miss the culture side of things. So visiting really helps gain knowledge of what makes that place tick.

SD

2 Likes

That sounds right. I encountered the quote once, many years ago, during an elective Digital Photography course at the Sunshine Coast University. For anyone interested, I also recommend Henri Cartier-Bresson and Sebastiao Salgado photography (photo-journalism) works.

Oh, the film The Secret Life of Walter Mitty renewed my interest in photography and travel, and convinced me to buy a camera (and study Digital Photography). Now I just need a suitable travel budget / lotto win, and re-opened borders. I learnt on my first overseas trip that long-distance flying in Economy is unending purgatory for anyone over six-feet tall.

3 Likes

Oh, I’d definitely do it in a heartbeat!

Traveling for a story would be amazing because you can take videos and pictures to get an idea of the architecture, listen to actual conversations to see how people’s accents and dialect sound like, go to actual places to experience it–especially if your characters are going to, too.

Filmmakers and animators do this all the time to get a good idea of what they’re working with and it’s so cool!

2 Likes

Same here.

Exactly. The internet is helpful in it’s own way, but actually seeing it and living the experience up close is totally different.

1 Like

I would love traveling too…if I had the money.
I am hoping to change that.

Awesome and I love the quotes too.

Yeah, it’s pretty expensive, and with the restrictions it’s just so hard too. I’m still hoping to get out of the country this year or early next year.

1 Like

Understandable and I totally get it.
I hope that I can get out of the country too…I need it.

LOL!