Two Suitcases

So, I’m getting ready to move back to the United States from Germany, and I’m allowed two suitcases of whatever can make it onto a flight to get me through the next two to six months.

What would you take if you only had two suitcases to get you through that period of time? (The rest of your belongings will be on a cargo ship and/or in storage.)

My answer: My computer won’t fit. :sob: I’ll be bringing my favorite clothes, some towels, important documents, some alcohol, and stuff for the cat. If I have room, a couple of my favorite books, dishes (plates, bowls, silverware, a couple pots and pans, and cooking utensils)…but the dishes will probably have to go in the mail.

9 Likes

Ooh! How exciting!

2 Likes

They’re not going to let you bring alcohol on a plane, are they? I think all liquids are banned now, except maybe medicine…? ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

3 Likes

Unless they meant alcohol as in hand sanitizer?

3 Likes

Well, depends on how big the suitcases are. I have two giant ones and I could stuff in all my clothes along with books, toiletries, dishes, and beanies if I wanted company.

3 Likes

Girl! Where’s your carry-on?! An iPad, something?! Phone, big phone!

3 Likes

One of my Wattpad friend’s husband just came from England to visit us over the weekend…and he brought some Sapphire gin in his checked luggage. You can also purchase alcohol at one of the duty-free shops at the airport and put it as/in a carry-on.

Now, with the liquids in a carry-on, they are supposed to be less than 3 oz. Some airports are nit-pickier than others. Frankfurt International and Barcelona were a lot more lenient than Stanstead (near London).

2 Likes

It all comes down to the volume of the liquid…and whether it’s in a checked bag.

We’re allowed 2 suitcases that can weigh up to 50 pounds each, so large suitcases (but they must stay in that weight limit).

2 Likes

Ha! The computer I use is a 27-inch Mac. We do have a laptop, so that one will be in my husband’s carry-on. The cat and my bag will be my carry-on.

2 Likes

Kitty carry-on! XD

2 Likes

I recently just moved super far away with only two suitcases, only those to move my entire life to somewhere new. We didn’t do cargo ships or anything, and yeah, it was super awful trying to figure out what to bring and what to leave behind.

Just brought most fav clothes, I scanned out all my documents, essentials, 2 of my favorite books, and some trinkets that held memories. I just bought everthing else I needed here.

2 Likes

I have so many dishes/kitchenware that I just don’t want to have to buy them again, especially since I have four kids. I just hope I can remember everything.

2 Likes

Sorry, sorry- I was going to try to be helpful, but my brain is just- I can’t fathom-

You get two suitcases???

Sorry, it’s just-

I’m one of those people who they’re unpacking and they “packed light” and all they have is a carryon but you’re somehow still left going “Why did you bring so much stuff?” And then most people are also like “How did you bring so much stuff???”

I’m just- Do you know how much I could put in two suitcases??? Especially if they happened to be big suitcases??? The answer is I probably wouldn’t have much (sans furniture) left on the cargo ship.

And now I’m like- “Oh my gosh- Could I bring two suitcases for uni next Winter? Would two even fit in the dorm? I could probably stash one under my bed or something- Oh I could bring So Many books- Would I even have time to read them all???”

I’m sorry. I opened this thread with the intention to help… But I am being a child right now and the result is not helpful but hopefully entertaining, at least? Or something like that, at any rate.

2 Likes

I’m struggling with this! Definitely entertaining though. LOL In college, it was so easy for me. Bed and desk were provided. All I needed/had were the clothes that could fit.

But now I have four kids, and I’m trying to make sure we have some comfort, as well as the stuff we need. It might be two months without our furniture and anything we can’t send by mail or in those suitcases, or it might be six months or longer. It all comes down to how long it takes for us to find a place to live…and if everything has arrived, then how long it takes to get our belongings to us. I don’t want to buy new dishes, cookware, etc., but the family has to eat. We’ll probably be sleeping on the floor.

To give you an idea, I have a 17yo who has a lot of clothes, makeup, and hair appliances. My middle daughter loves music. She’ll be able to bring her ukulele, but the guitar and keyboard will have to be shipped. My son will be easy. Clothes and a couple toys. My youngest daughter will also be easy. My husband will need to bring his suits, dress clothes, and other clothes to get by. His clothes take up a ton of space.

And the kicker…with 12 suitcases, 6 people, and a cat, we have to be able to fit all of us in a vehicle.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.