Want to discuss about our trunk novels and ideas?

I want to hear about them. Purely curious if you still remember them or not. Were those some of the ones that you had high hopes for in the beginning, but changed over time?

My memory isn’t that great sometimes. LOL!

1 Like

I see fair enough. Well, I never have high hopes for everything lol

What is that? :slight_smile: a memory… :smiley:

1 Like

Don’t know anymore. LOL!

So, you just write your story and whatever happens just happens?

1 Like

Yeah planning much doesn’t work!

1 Like

Spoken like a true panster?
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, I had a novel I was writing for 7 years and which I will never write again or talk about in detail. I cringe when I think about it. It was my first long novel. But I have revisited it in other ways by incorporating some ideas in other novels. Especially character relationships. I really liked the character relationships in that book.

If I were to EVER touch that book again, I can’t just rewrite the book. I have to rework the entire world building. That’s one reason why I don’t wanna touch it :stuck_out_tongue:

The only thing I might have in my trunk is my take on the lost city of Atlantis, but I only need to rework something I already finished. It’s not in the trunk. Maybe half in :stuck_out_tongue: It’s called Princesses of Atlia. Maybe a series. Who knows?

I don’t have anything else in the trunk. They’re all out of the trunk and I’m always thinking about one of them here, another one there. Like my Children of Scorch Series that I started in my private thread. Started off as a flash fiction exercise that quickly turned into a sequence of scenes, and now I have an idea for it to be an 8 book series.

I’m just enjoying fleshing it out here and there. Not planning anything with it. But maybe one day I’ll actually sit down and write it :stuck_out_tongue: Who really knows? :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

To add: I do have ideas floating around in my head, but I usually don’t share them until I’ve cooked them enough myself :stuck_out_tongue:

The only one I can share is a story about the underside of Elgana and the truth of the shadowy shapeshifters. Those might be two different stories, or one whole story. But I’m positive I’m going to write both somehow.

2 Likes

Yep. The more I plan? The more I lose interest!

1 Like

I try to do both planning and pantsing.

1 Like

Plantsing!

1 Like

Exactly. :grin:

1 Like

Literally the engagement ring story:

2 Likes

LOL!

1 Like

I need some drama!

1 Like

I am getting food!

1 Like

I’ve got a couple of trunk novels:

The first would be a Hunger Games fan fiction, which was my first ever attempt at seriously writing fiction, and I wrote two versions of it. The whole concept was basically taking the star-crossed lovers trope that the Hunger Games used, but instead of it being between two people from the same district, it would be between two contestants from different districts. Yeah, it’s not really an original concept, but it was my first attempt at writing. Anyways, the first version was complete and utter garbage with awful dialogue and shallow characters, and it’s truly one of the worst things that I’ve ever written. The second version, where I redid the opening few chapters, was marginally better but low-key quite pretentious (lots of weird abstract imagery being used), and eventually, I just ran out of steam and junked making a Hunger Games fanfiction series. I attempted making an anthology series, but I really hate reading and writing short stories, so that didn’t really pan out.

My second major trunk novel would be “A Sea of Lies.” It was my first attempt at writing fantasy, and it’s not terrible, but it’s very average. To be honest, I don’t think I could describe the plot (something revolving around kingdoms rebelling after a coup), and that’s part of the reason why I didn’t get very far into the novel (wrote around 30k or so words) before quitting. It also doesn’t help that I really don’t particularly like reading fantasy. Still, I think there were some aspects that I did like, like the elemental magic system, and I created a lot of interesting maps for the novel.

Maps

|575.8711656441718x431

My third major trunk novel would be a gay romance road trip, titled “Yosemite Song,” where two guys who don’t know each other well decide to take a trip across the U.S. to visit as many national parks as possible. To be honest, I didn’t get very far into the planning process (around 10-15k words), and all I had written down was dialogue for the most part. What I have written down isn’t too bad, but there were major flaws with the story, especially the premise, the dialogue that I had written down was still fairly stilted during moments where I’m transitioning between topics and didn’t communicate each character’s personality well, and I had zero clue how to write romance.

My last trunk novel would be “Zombie Diaries 2019.” It’s a zombie apocalypse novel, written journal style day-by-day, and it’s a bit different from the normal zombie apocalypse novels in the sense that the MC is not one of those survivalist characters but instead, is a smart but otherwise very average person attempting to survive. There are two versions, each drastically different from the other but probably equal in quality, and out of all my trunk novels, this book is honestly my favorite. There are a lot of aspects that I liked, my favorite being my MC’s humorous and sarcastic writing voice (since it’s a journal). The biggest issue was that there was way too much thematic / character overlap between this book and the current series that I’m writing, so it was a bit of a slog to try to balance the two because it kinda felt like I was writing the same book twice. I ended up deciding to pull the plug on this novel since it suffered from the same issue of being rudderless, and to be honest, I do believe that it was the correct decision since the current series that I’m working on is now at around 330k words and still growing. It’s not totally a trunk novel in the sense that I incorporated a lot of elements of it into my current series, but until I finish my current series, I will not return to this novel despite the fond memories.

There are a couple of other stories that I have junked but never got far in: an island survival story, a depressing nuclear apocalypse one, another zombie apocalypse story but in a city instead of the suburbs, a monster horror story vaguely inspired by “A Quiet Place” and “It Comes At Night.”

2 Likes

Do you enjoy writing fantasy as opposed to reading it? Is fantasy a genre that you like or not?

NOTE: Guys, we can discuss to each other about our trunk novels and ideas if we have any.

I want to know what you all think about my trunk novel ideas and what not.

I am waiting to know! LOL!

The second book in the Akh Chronicles called The Old City. Well, I more tossed it in the Wattpad Hiatus pile than the trunk but that’s the same thing really :joy: I just lost interest in the storyline after a while. Maybe I’ll go back to it, maybe I won’t

1 Like

Someday, but not today. LOL!

1 Like