What do you put in your writing journals?

I’ve learned a lot about my writing process and what helps me out this past year and since keeping a written log of my goals and work progress seems to be working for me, I decided I would splurge and buy myself a fancy journal to keep information about my current WIP in.

But I realized I don’t have much to put in the journal and when I look up online what are some other things I can keep track of in a physical journal for my book, nothing really comes up. So I thought I would ask the forums if you guys put anything special into your writing journals?

So far all I have is the typical stuff laid out like goals, scene trackers, character profiles, arc trackers, word count trackers, etc.

3 Likes

Nothing. Most of my stuff is on my computer. I might write a little something here and there in my story binder, but that isn’t all the time.

So, I barely use my writing journal if you can even call it that.

2 Likes

I have everything online as well, I just think it’s a little but of a hassle for me to always have it open so I like the idea of having it written down so I can just flip through a few pages. Plus I like to kind of talk to myself in my notes and discuss the pros and cons of things and I like to write that out versus type it because I feel like it makes me think on it a little more.

Plus I’m a huge advocate for outlines so I have everything and anything within my story outlined to a T and I have different thing in different docs and in different folders so it gets a little crazy when I’m looking for something and can’t find it in the mess I made :joy:

2 Likes

No. Just on a word document that is similar to Microsoft Office.

I am not that fond of writing things down because I enjoy typing it out. I mean I’ll do it if I have to(for instance now), but honestly I rather type notes.

I used to use Google Docs but decided to try something else.

1 Like

I have two journals.
First one : To record a book idea, name of the places, all of character names and extra notes.
Second one: I write a general outline of each chapter and then head to sprinting.

Don’t know why but it’s somehow comforting to write a notebook. Furthermore thinking of buying pens that has ink other color than blue and black to enhance my notes :blush:

2 Likes

Actually this is also reason why I use notebook.
There is a time that I don’t want to use laptop or the laptop and other devices are charging so I’ll just plan my chapters while one of the devices fully charged.

2 Likes

It really is comforting to write it down! I have a really bad memory so I feel like writing it down after typing it out helps me to remember a bit better as well. And of course all of the fun ink colors are a added bonus to keeping a journal.

1 Like

The other advantage to notebook is that you can draw on your notebook unlike using Ms office.

1 Like

Yup! Back when I first started writing I didn’t have a computer or a phone or any electronic so all of my OG books are written in notebooks. Kinda want to go back to that but I’m also grateful for a laptop now because it’s so much faster than having to write everything out and don’t even get me started on how frustrating it is to count written words.

Yes! Little doodles of significant objects from the book.

1 Like

For me, it’s like random ideas, sprinting chapters at midnight (when I don’t have my iPad/computer), sketching out ideas, just mostly writing stuff

1 Like

Oof. Love the freedom writing on a journal gives. I just let the ideas flow and scribble on as much as mind allows or edit as many times without worrying for writing in an orderly way as i would on a laptop. A bonus definitely are the different coloured pens I can use to highlight different points or changes to the story outline
Writing on a laptop slows me down somehow my mind just halts and the ideas are gone.

Idk if its the same for everyone but I only use a laptop to write the story only. Planning and stuff are on the journal

1 Like

This :point_up_2:
Plus, I write the characters physical descriptions and personalities so I won’t forget (like the color of their eyes) when I write a chapter about them.

I have multiple writing journals (see: notebooks) mainly for outlining my books, writing summaries of chapters before doing an actual draft 1, etc…

I have a specific journal for all my worldbuilding considering all my stories take place in one singular universe.

1 Like

I’m old-fashioned and simply make a bunch of Google Docs.

1 Like