What do you want to see more of in retellings?

Retellings. We’ve all probably read one or another at some point. And we enjoy them, right? No shame in wanting to see an original story you loved get turned into something else. There is just so much we can do to refresh an idea.

But what is it that attracts you to a retelling? Tropes? Cliches? Genre? Anything at all.

Maybe the story started out as a fantasy and is being retold as a horror. Or maybe it started out as a romance and now it’s being retold as fantasy.

Let’s discuss what we enjoy in retellings.

As for me, I love to see a lighthearted fairytale get twisted into something dark. They didn’t start out so lighthearted anyway.

4 Likes

V
A
R
I
E
T
Y
:clap:

T
W
I
S
T
S

:open_mouth:

&

EXCITEMENT :flushed: :partying_face:

2 Likes

What do you mean? Like what kind of twists and such?

1 Like

Stories that make sense and don’t shit all over the original tale.

2 Likes

real life shit

2 Likes

That’s vague. Less magic and fairy tale elements in a fairytale retelling?

1 Like

This is interesting. :rofl: In what way have you seen this happen?

1 Like

Do you mean dealing with real themes that acknowledge real life, such as loss, family problems, etc.?

2 Likes

Usually in more modern retellings where they make fun of fairy tale tropes. Badly. And remove all the charm that was in the original.

2 Likes

Definitely a fan of retelling taking a more lighthearted (tonely because sometimes even those happy stories you hear as kids are really twisted) and making it dark or more adult than it was before.

That’s why I love the American McGee Alice Madness games and the Wicked series by Gregory Maguire. Both are dark, adult in nature, and deep into the psychology of things. Wicked went the extra mile by starting off as a prequel and ending as a sequel, and has queer rep (like the Witch and her son both being bisexual, and her son’s daughter being gay.) The Musical of Wicked, though fun and what introduced me to the books, deviates A LOT, and never continued into the other books. They didn’t even mention her son, who was a kid when the first book ended.

2 Likes

yes

2 Likes

Personally I’d like to see the same story more realistically told. For instance, I’d love to see Cinderella redone where she’s the ugly one and her stepsisters are beautiful. Who would Prince Charming pick then? Fairy tales always show good people as beautiful and bad people as ugly, but that’s not how it works in real life. Sometimes absolutely horrible people are gorgeous. What happens when Cinderella gets the makeover but she still can’t physically compete with her stepsisters?

It would also be nice if magic wasn’t used to keep the character from growing. Cinderella never grows in the original story because the fairy godmother bails her out. Why doesn’t Cindy have to do like the rest of us and empower herself? It would be more realistic if she ran away from home to escape her horrible family, not wait for someone to save her. Did she ever look ahead and think what her life would be like ten years from now if she didn’t get away from her stepmother? In the Disney version, she never thought of anything at all, except how cute little furry woodland creatures are. And that’s another thing. It’s unrealistic to live in an abusive household and not be traumatized by it. I wish fairy tale characters would react more believably to negative stimulus. </rant>

2 Likes

:sob: Can I just love this comment ten times over? Like YES TO ALL OF THIS.

2 Likes

Yay! Then you need to write this story!

2 Likes

Maguire actually made a crap ton of retelling, from Wizard of Oz, to Cinderella (Ugly Step Sister), Swan Lake, Alice in Wonderland, The Nutcracker King (Hiddensee - which also had queer rep, and it was actually really sad. Was actually about the story of the man who told Clara the story of the Nutcracker, Drosselmeyer, her godfather. He and Clara’s father were friends as young adults but her father obviously wanted to get down but Drosselmeyer had been obsessed with this woman and kind of didn’t reciprocate at the time. It wasn’t until they were older that they reunited but it was really too late for them to be together. They settled into a deep love and friendship otherwise).

2 Likes

If it’s a fairy tale, I’ll read it. shrugs

2 Likes