What happened in the last chapter you wrote? Let's chat about it.

Don’t forget to hide your spoilers if you don’t want people to know the juicy stuff.
So, go ahead and tell me what happened in the last chapter you’ve written.

My Turn:
Story: Tales of Alterra: Faust of Arcane Sins.

I’ve just got finished with chapter one. So, yeah, the chapter I’ve written which is still a rough draft needs plenty of work, but I am not going to worry about that till later. Anyway, in this chapter, Faust and his older brother Hyde were given an assignment. That assignment was to create a philosopher stone for the client who is a notorious crime lord and drug dealer. Faust was not happy about doing that regardless of if he managed to pull it off. At home, things have gone from bad to worse for Faust because ever since actions with creating a philosopher stone, he will have more work than ever. Faust does not want to be a criminal and would rather be a Knight. Plus, his father wants to pass on the title of family head to him since he is qualified for it. Faust doesn’t want it and is very bitter about the situation. Hyde is slowly becoming envious of Faust.

What about you? What happened in the last chapter you’ve written?
Tell me all about it provided you hide some of the juicy stuff. LOL!

5 Likes

After a bought of depression and indecisiveness, I’m finally rewriting my novel. Just rewrote the first scene.

It starts within a flashback where the protagonist was ten, and his parents brought him to the doctor after he was beaten half to death by school bullies for not having developed superpowers yet. The doctor assures his superhero parents that Navon will definitely develop powers. Within a couple of weeks, tops.
Cut to eight years later and he’s graduating hero school still without them.

3 Likes

I’m currently working on chapter fifteen, at a part where… things aren’t gonna go well for my characters.

In the beginning of the chapter, my character’s new recruit (who is also part of the enemy) tells my MC that they have to make a quick stop to look at a compound on their way toward the Victorian Empire (to, you know, start killing a bunch of magical beings). This building, though, is a secret government organization where they took all their soldiers and cloned them to do experiments on them… that way they can create the perfect weapon to destroy the Victorians themselves but also to dominate the rest of the planet.

But while my characters are snooping around, the people there already knew they had a breach. They tried to stop them and then took over their ship that waited outside the compound’s walls. So my character, Nicolas, teleports them out of there (using that ability for others for the first time) and gets his dragon to take his crew to the closest and safest place away from them, and Nicolas would follow.

They then appear on another continent/country across the ocean, but end up in the desert. Nicolas, as the leader of the group, tells everyone to march on. He’d been there before and knows of a small oasis in the middle of the desert.

Once they get there, they find villagers, all part of some kind of cult. As Nicolas and his crew sneak around the trees, they watch as these villagers kill these people as like a religious sacrifice, then split open their bodies and eat their organs. It’s very gruesome. :sweat_smile:

Nicolas decides to be the hero and steps forward to tell them to stop, which is where I ended my chapter for now until I pick it up later on Friday.

Last scene:

A man with long dark hair in a robe that covered his feet and arms, stood in the middle of the two metal things they had carried. Nicolas couldn’t see any other features from this distance, but the man’s loud voice, deep and hoarse, travelled through the oasis. He spoke a language Nicolas couldn’t understand, however, gestured his arms in a way that made it seem the robed man gave some kind of speech. His arms flung up; head tilted to the sky. Was this a religious speech? Was the man talking about the heavens or something?

The crowd cheered along with his monologue.

When he finished, two people stepped forward: an older man and a young girl, both in the same types of clothing. They both got on top of and lay on the metal tables as another person, an unknown figure with a hood, came close to them with an axe.
What’s going on?

The man from before whispered something in their ears, the crowd whispering with him. The whispers became a chant, growing louder as they repeated the words multiple times. The drums went off again, creating a rhythm among the chants.

The hooded figure raised his axe and removed the young girl’s head from her body. The head thudded to the ground, the crowd now cheering once more. The same happened to the elderly man.

Nicolas’s eyes grew wide, unable to process what happened. Why had they murdered those people? And why were they chanting and cheering about it?

“We have to go!” Prisylla yelled in a hushed voice. While everything in Nicolas’s body screamed at himself that she was right, that they needed to get out of there and go back to their original spot, something else yelled at him: to stop whatever this sacrificial thing was. Stupid thought, of course. The villagers outnumbered them, and while Nicolas knew that they may not have survived, he still needed to stop it.

But why? The deed already finished. The two innocent people were gone already. He couldn’t bring them back. So, why would he fight a battle that didn’t have much of a meaning to it?

Though with Prisylla grabbing his arm and pulling him away from the bush didn’t stop him from staying put. In fact, he couldn’t tear his eyes away from the scene, still watching closely to what the villagers continued to do.

The man who gave the monologue took each head, one by one, and tossed them into the river. Some of the villagers at the front of the crowd hauled the bodies over their shoulders and walked to the bonfire where, Nicolas didn’t notice before, had multiple poles. They lay them down and went back to join the crowd. From there, two young boys—younger than Nicolas himself—stepped forward and lay on the tables. The chants began again.

Nicolas stood. He couldn’t let these boys, these innocent children, die. “Hey!”

The oasis silenced.

His heart thumped in his chest, the sound of blood pumping through his veins thudded in his ears, getting louder as he stepped closer to the crowd. The villagers who, now, stared at him. Anger and hunger in their eyes. Craving for slaughter.

4 Likes

I took a short break, and I can’t remember much…let me see…

Ok, I wrote a segment of a chapter for Broadside

“Athelai, tell me what battle is like. We’ve been a peaceful kingdom for most my life…and…”

“I know you’ve fought no real battles. You don’t have to defend that, to me.” She brushed his excuses aside like most experienced warriors did. People fought or they didn’t. Far better to ask for stories than to brag where there was no experience. “But the first thing to know is that each battle can be different, and your position within the battle colors your experience.”

“Oh?”

“The front line is where the inexperienced die, where the experienced become weary of the fight. I spent several years as war’s fodder, doing nothing but surviving, without a scope of how large the battle was. One particular battle, we had a new mage, extremely powerful with a reach that surpassed the battlefield. She brought down frost on the field, freezing men and women in their armor.” Athelai paused here, as this was a peculiarly sour memory to her once-young mind.

"It was bitter-cold, any skin exposed felt the burn of frostbite. Breathing was painful, fooling the nose into thinking pain has a smell all it’s own. And I was hacking and slashing at men and women who couldn’t even move away from my blade. An older Merc came through yelling at us young ones, ‘have mercy and go for a quick execution. We don’t know how long this will last and tipping them over will give us our own execution to face. Quick deaths. Injuries untended will lead to death anyway.’ "

“I don’t think anyone would enjoy that.”

"Oh, from the field commander’s view it was a damn fine battle, without a single loss–or sporting chance. "

“That must have been a faint comfort.”

“Not even. With a mage that strong, an army wasn’t needed, and most of us front line were let go, without the experience to easily catch the eye of another army, and everyone was willing to be a bit too peaceful with that strong a player on the field. Those who couldn’t move halfway across the realms didn’t find an army to fight in that season, and those who don’t save money starved to death anyway. The numbers we saved were lost without his lordship reconning the cost. Banditry both expanded and shriveled up to nothing in the same breath.” She paused, letting out a shaky laugh. “I moved four kingdoms to get away from that bitch. She’s the former King’s Consort in Erieith’s Weyer, gave King Mather III a good half-dozen strapping sons what weild strange powers all their own. The eldest killed the rightful queen’s children just last year, along with his father. They’ve thought of conquest, I’m sure.”

He paused for a moment–savoring the silence between them–before asking the next question. “Was it better, the higher up the ranks you moved?”

“No. Better is not the word for war. But my skills increased. I grew hardened against killing even the most innocent on the field–harder to do without the heat of battle, but I can kill even then. Some aspects gave me people to learn to depend on, while others left me only leaning on myself. But I never rose to the point of seeing the battle overall. I’m sure that is different, as will depend on if I feel the burden of every life lost or not.”

Probably campfire talk right before they get into Athelai’s mission.

3 Likes

Here is a ‘short’ summary of the last published chapter (blocks of text aplenty). A point-form plan for my next (long overdue) chapter will be posted later.

Goddess v2.0, set in 2016, chapter 3:

Dov woke up seated on the floor of Krista’s bedroom, in Karen’s villa, doubled up against Krista’s bed, to find Krista asleep next to him and Freyja in the bed. Dov learns Freyja did not sleep last night (she was calm but not tired), and Polanski (Krista’s mum) had helped them into the room. Dov suggests a plan for the morning only to be interrupted by Freyja’s gurgling tummy. Krista volunteers to teach Freyja about toilets if Dov stays with them (backup).
++
While waiting outside the girl’s toilet he meets and talks with Polanski, bearing a bathrobe for Freyja (a replacement for Dov’s Army tracksuit / Freyja’s current pyjamas). Dov notes that although he had the least comfortable position in the room he slept better than the last few months in Brisbane, and that Freyja had the best spot but she didn’t sleep. Polanski comments there was a similar situation during the car ride home (from Tel Aviv to Be’er Sheva); Freyja watched the desert scene pass their snoring Dov’s window in silence. Polanski trades the bathrobe for Dov’s tracksuit with Krista, and discovers an eye-watering aroma drifting out from the door. Dov suggests Freyja’s digestive system is still developing or waking up, and having trouble processing last night’s dinner (she ate five hamburgers). A remorseful Freyja emerges and apologies for harming her friends (making a bad smell). Dov assures Freyja he had done and experienced worse,* and she relaxes. Polanski asks to speak with Krista in private, and suggests Dov and Freyja visit Hannah’s (Karen’s daughter) room to find some casual clothes for her.
*One of Dov’s war stories to be told later.
++
Once hidden in an old study, and out of their guests’ hearing range, Polanski tells Krista that Karen had picked a special bedroom for Dov to use but they need Krista’s permission. After a few hints Krista realises Karen had chosen Gur’s room (Gur was Krista’s older very close brother, and while serving with the IDF Paratroopers Gur was killed in the 2014 Gaza war). Krista agrees to let Dov have the room on one condition; he is never told who lived there before. Krista then asks who should bathe Freyja, her or Dov. Polanski asks Krista to wash Freyja as, like her bedsheet/sundress, the girl is probably coated in sea-salt and in need of clinical cleaning (a task they should not ask of Dov, for now). Krista again agrees they should give Dov a break, and perhaps if Krista can make bathing a game Freyja won’t be scared of the water (and, more importantly, stay calm and not crush Krista).
Oh, Polanski also states that Freyja is to stay in Krista’s room, with a new bed being moved in the next day. Krista suggests Freyja keeps the bedsheet, and maybe Dov’s tracksuit, to help her rest while away from Dov. Polanski notes Freyja’s bedsheet is made from Australian cotton lined with Merino wool. Dr Lander, Freyja’s creator, predicted Dov would stay in Israel and nurture / mentor Freyja.
++
Dov emerges from his shower to find Polanski waiting for him. Polanski states that the girls are still in the women’s bathroom, enthralled by bathing and playing, so Dov has a while to wait. Dov ponders if Krista is safe with Freyja (she does not know how to control her strength, or not get spooked by new experiences), but Polanski informs Dov if he is relaxed and confident Freyja will be too. Karen interrupts their conversation and welcomes Dov into her home. Dov thanks Karen for her generosity, and Karen hopes Freyja proves an exceptional asset. Polanski smirks that Freyja’s assets are exceptional. The trio set off to show Dov his new room, and Karen offers to answer any of Dov’s questions during the journey. Dov asks what will happen to his apartment in Brisbane while he stays in Israel, and discovers Karen’s friends in the Mossad have packed his belongings and the boxes should arrive at the villa in a few days. Dov then asks how he should avoid upsetting Karen’s mercenaries (he and Freyja are unannounced house guests), and how he should cover the damages to Hannah’s car (Freyja broke a laminated Perspex window). Karen assures Dov not to worry about either issue, and offers him an envelope “a small gift for agreeing to stay” with the suggestion Dov treats himself to an Alpina saloon “like Hannah’s or better”. The bewildered Dov’s final question is about Freyja’s IDs. The trio settle on yesterday, fourteen years ago, being listed as Freyja’s birthday and Be’er Sheva her city of birth. They then arrive at Dov’s new room, place his pack on the bed, and Polanski’s phone announces the girls’ presence in the kitchen.
++
Karen paces into the villa kitchen, with Dov and Polanski close behind, and finds two immaculate young girls standing before the teak dining table. Karen greets the girls and claims she now understands what all the fuss is about. Krista adds, while rubbing her sides, Freyja is both pretty and strong. Karen notes Freyja’s familiar clothing choice (identical to Dov’s…Collared shirt, jeans, hiking boots…except Freyja’s borrowed clothes are tailored), and her beautiful perfume. Freyja claims that, on Krista’s advice, she should smell nice to create a good memory for her friends. Polanski directs Krista to their lunch, residing in the fridge, and reminds Krista to serve their new friends first. Krista and Freyja sit either side of Dov, with Karen and Polanski seated opposite them, and their lunch is revealed to be chilled borscht, with mounds of sliced challah, and black tea (Krista’s favourite meal). Freyja is hesitant to eat, fearing bad experiences, but Dov assures Freyja she knows what to expect, and do, and her friends will always help if needed. Freyja comments she is never alone (During their walk on the beach the previous night, Dov claimed: Freyja is different from everyone in the world, but she is never alone) and begins to eat, mimicking Dov’s actions. Karen applauds Freyja’s considerable enthusiasm and appetite (as Freyja devours her meal with increasing vigour), and formally welcomes their new housemates with a toast. Karen then asks Dov about his plans with Freyja. Dov states his first goals are to help Freyja tame and use the countless words in her mind (Freyja has a vast vocabulary in multiple languages, and no idea of how to use it) along with her strength, help to build Freyja’s confidence and agility. Krista adds this will also save her ribs as bathing with Freyja was like trying to wash a skittish Orca. Dov concludes his plan is simple in theory but practice will be different. Karen claims Dov is lucky Krista can help as she is an expert with challenges (very good at creating them). Polanski adds their villa has many places for Freyja to study and train, including combat and marksmanship. Karen tells the perplexed Freyja Dov can teach her to be a Commando, to protect herself and her friends, if that is okay with her. Freyja attempts to agree but she is interrupted by Krista’s deep rumbling yawn. Freyja then falls victim to a table-trembling yawn, and apologies for her bad manners. Dov calms Freyja, stating she experienced much with no sleep and now she should rest. Karen states the trio should retire early as there is a busy week ahead. Dov asks how they should darken the rooms (nightfall is several hours away), and Karen replies that all the windows have armoured shutters (Karen: “close the shutters and midnight arrives early”). Krista asks if Freyja can sleep in Dov’s bed beside him for the night, to ensure they are comfortable and able to rest. Dov, doubtful of Krista’s intentions, relays the question to Freyja who responds with a smile and nod. Karen then orders everyone to their rooms for an early night.
+++

…I’m really bad at typing summaries…

2 Likes

uhhhh
marcie is angry but then her mom was like “let’s go to velouria center” and uhh. she meets a new friend named tess

2 Likes

The last chapter I wrote was the epilogue of my novel, Lone Werewolf.

My protagonist, Volya (a teen werewolf), is in the airport, returning from his werewolf drama in Russia. He is running late, in danger to break his promise to see his lover off–a key to preserving their soulmate bond.

The immigration official keeps Volya with questions, so he exercises his alpha-influence to get out and runs across the airport. He catches his lover surrounded by the fans (lover is a famous pop-star) and finally kisses him in public, acknowledging their relationship. They have a quick humorous exchange that confirms their commitment to the way they had changed one-another during the course of the book.

Volya had finally matured from someone who was simply hoping that someone would love him to a man who is generous with love (not just romantic), and thus he is ready to become an alpha and create his own pack.

3 Likes

Underwater princess story: Pandora has been reunited with some of her warriors in an underworld-esque place where she astral projected herself to. Now she has to go somewhere to have her body given back to her. She’s also starting to regain her memory. One warrior she thought she didn’t know at all, is becoming oddly familiar the more they talk :eyes:

4 Likes

I just finished my first chapter, too. All I did was introduce the main character, mention the ugly divorce she’s going through, and hint that something’s not physically right about her. Also mentioned it’s her 50th birthday and she’s terrified of aging, but no one’s ever been able to successfully stop time except one of her patients. Chapter 2 will introduce that patient. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

2 Likes

On another note, congratz on finishing your first chapter! I think you’ve only done that once before, eh? When you wrote ten chapters of another book? I sure hope you stick with this one! ヽ(^。^)丿

4 Likes

Yeah, I remember when I wrote up to twelve chapters of an old novel called Ren and Ian. Afterwards I was unable to do the very same. I hope that this story changes that.

Yeah, I hope so too.

2 Likes

I’m finishing up chapter 5 of my new book as we speak. Right now, the main character is sneaking around a civic center, trying to steal a fancy rock from his team captain so he can take it on a date. I can never summarize my stories without context without making them sound absolutely absurd :rofl:

Essentially, there’s going to be a ‘festival’ at the civic center celebrating a genocide. The ‘fancy rock’ is basically a sentient weapon that gives special powers to people it likes. The MC’s mission is to get the sentient weapon away from the captain, who’s in charge of guarding the festival, so that he can use its powers to prevent the genocide and save the last of those people. But he has to get the weapon to like him first, so he’s going to have to take it on a stroll through some fruit gardens, hence the ‘take it on a date’ part. It still sounds absurd even with context. Oh well lol.

4 Likes

Sounds like speculative fiction with context.

1 Like

It is :smiley:

I just finished writing a chapter where the estate killings have come into question: Did a Wendigo really do it…

2 Likes

Speculative fiction sounds like fantasy when vague.

1 Like

I haven’t split my novel into chapter yet, I’m going to do that in the editing. But what has happened in the last couple of thousand words.
Tamar finally fought her way to Malachi, who was dying from a wound he received while saving her life. He wouldn’t begin to heal even with all the medical attention until she reached him because they have been bonded by something that happened earlier in the story.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.