What is dark fantasy? [let's talk about this genre]

I read this.

It was a monster of a book.

Oh my gosh, what a story though.

I thought I wouldn’t like it, but China Miéville is such a good writer. Just sucked me right into the story. I thought I wouldn’t like it afterwards. Especially with that ending (if you know what I mean). But it made me think about it over and over…

I want to write a story that readers will remember.

Anyway, I thought this was more of a dystopian urban fantasy…but I’ve also seen it called a dark fantasy. Now, is there an overlap between dystopian fantasy and dark fantasy? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Is Yngling Saga Dark Fantasy?

2 Likes

Honestly, I sometimes think Sponge Bob gets pretty dark. Is this REALLY a kid’s show? Sometimes I wonder.

2 Likes

When you get older, Spongebob seems to make more sense as an adult than as a kid.

LOL!

3 Likes

You are going to love reading the Getter Robo manga. It has everything you’d want in a story… Dinosaurs, robots, sociopathic teenagers! The whole shebang!

2 Likes

I haven’t read any Miéville but he’s definitely at the top of my list. Obviously genres aren’t mutually exclusive lol. He’s literary, science fiction, gothic, steampunk, urban fantasy, DF, postmodern (although he admittedly is not one)… the list goes on.

2 Likes

Lol it’s in the title? It’s a saga :wink:

1 Like

Is Getter Robo Dark Fantasy?

Perdido Street Station was wild. I recommend it to anyone interested in reading urban fantasy stories dealing with the dark side of society. Also, don’t expect the norm in this story.