What is that ONE thing about your antagonist that you love?

What is that ONE thing you like/love about your antagonist?

Go on tell me because I yearn to know!

NOTE: I will only accept one thing not two or three just one, please!

4 Likes

I knew from the type of topic that it must be you XD

I was going to talk about Richard from Alive At Crepusculum, but he’s a villain, not an antag.

I think I’ll talk instead about Jack who is both a protag and antag in Jack Of All Trades. Let me explain. He’s in constant battle with himself. On one hand he wants to be this charismatic gallery owner and art enthusiast. On the other hand he still wants to maintain his criminal past.

The thing I love about him is how honest he is with himself as an antag. He knows when he’s being an antag to himself (and in the beginning of the story, he mostly tries to deny it). He knows when his antag self comes out and sometimes he even makes it come out to gain things in the wrong ways (which then goes against his wish to not be an antag and become a protag).

I only said one thing :smirk: I said I love how Jack is self-aware about his own antagonistic ways and embraces it well (for the most part).

2 Likes

She’s honest.

As a queen, she doesn’t have time or the motivation to lie to anyone, so she’s an open book. She also has moments where she doesn’t think before she speaks, so when she’s properly introduced in the sequel (as she briefly makes an appearance at the end of the first book), she’ll have these moments where she says something that might be inappropriate and questionable. But otherwise, her honesty is one trait I do love about her because she wastes no time in telling my MC why she’s supposedly the antagonist, etc.

I can’t wait to explore more with her character.

2 Likes

It’ll be interesting if your antag and mine had a conversation. Jack can read people like a book, so he’ll probably match your character’s bluntness.

2 Likes

I feel like my antagonist would say something like this to yours:

:rofl:

2 Likes

Same here XD

2 Likes

Hey, hey, hey! LOL!

I feel the need to ask something stupid.

Aren’t they in a sense the same thing, or no?

So, what you are saying is that villains are more or less evil while the antagonist simply oppose the protagonist?

1 Like

Temulkar’s Armour.

It’s bonded with his skin, almost a living armour. It is platelets and sinew bound by dark arts to his form…

Still having thoughts about how it looks and such, but I like the idea of it being almost living.

SD

1 Like

That is interesting.
So, your antagonist is armor?

No, you’re not. I had to look it up before I posted here.

So, I found this article. And it says, “A villain is evil, through and through. His motivations are evil and his actions are evil. An antagonist opposes the protagonist. She causes conflict with the main character.”

I think an antagonist can be a villain. The thing in Jack Of All Trades is that there IS a villain who simply wants to rule more countries and take over the world. Jack is just hindering and opposing himself. He competes against himself. Yeah, it’s a weird dynamic. Thanks, Jack.

1 Like

I don’t understand why that is confusing to me.
But thanks for clearing it up a bit.

1 Like

My antagonist is completely justified in hating the protagonist because he’s repeadedly done terrible things, especially to her. But she’s become just like him in order to try and destroy him. I like the irony of her character and the whole “you’ve become that which you swore to hate” thing going on with her.

2 Likes

how cunning and smart they are. They easily have the brains to do anything, and they’re using those brains to overthrow a fake regime for their own gain (doing a right thing for all the wrong reasons lol)
Eventually their goal is realized, but only part of it. They don’t replace the fake regime, but at least the fake regime doesn’t exist anymore.

2 Likes

Has armour bonded to himself, the armour is not the antag, but now bonded to his form. Temulkar is the antag.

SD

1 Like

Oh…well…I misread that all wrong…LOL!

That’s fine, I mean I could have said it better other than “Temulkar’s Armour” which would assume that the armour is the Evil here… My bad also.

SD

1 Like

Thanks. It would also be funny if the armor was not only evil but sentient too.

Cool beans! :grin:

you said one thing about the antag, you didn’t say only one antag :smirk:

I love that Oriphiel is driven by grief a desperation to fix a wrong she isn’t allowed to remember. It’s a unique motive.

Rawbone has a lot of grit and determination, he’ll do the work to make sure he accomplishs what he set out to do. never mind that his goal is to prove an adult man can be broken into submission as successfully as a young one.

Granmere MacArson has little to love, but I enjoy writing her insults. She’s so pompous it’s fun.

1 Like

Are you finding loopholes in my post? LOL!

1 Like

Hm. Hard to say. I suppose I admire his nerve. He has absolutely no limits pertaining to what he’ll do to himself and others. That madness will eternally be fascinating to me.

1 Like