What is your current excuse for not writing?

And are you the type of writer where everything has to be perfect or you can’t write a single word?

3 Likes

My current excuse is: I don’t have my computer.

1 Like

That’s a good one.

Mine is a mixture of currently doing a readathon and the fact that my mind is basically always blank when I’m in the city :weary:. Only a few more months until I’m back to the middle of nowhere though.

I guess I have been using my insecurity after reading some really well written fics as my reason for holding back on writing my own stories. Because my writing was not as good as theirs.

2 Likes

Mood. I’m doubting my writing skills right now.

1 Like

That reminds me of this advice from Alan Moore.

Try to remember that there will always be better and worse writers than you. Just write your own stuff as well as you can.

3 Likes

It sucks :frowning: but I forced myself to finish a chapter and managed to get 1k out tonight which I’m glad about since I was feeling insecure for a few days.

2 Likes

That’s good advice. It’s like when you read your own writing back. You might be insecure about how you write now but when you look back you see how far you’ve come, too, and you should be proud of that progress. And know that you’ll continue to improve.

2 Likes

Mine is more jealousy based. Plus, I’m busy.

1 Like

Why jealousy based?

1 Like

Because this person who I now consider my enemy is closer to being published than I am.

1 Like

Oh. Why do you consider them your enemy? :open_mouth: I’m sure if you keep working towards your goal you can get published in your own time too. It’s not a race.

2 Likes

Because they played me for attention. And then they got bored of me.

I know it’s not a race. It’s just I barely get enough time to write anymore, and even when I do write, it never means I’m going to finish writing the novel. It used to be easier when I wrote fanfics and didn’t give a damn about plot, but it’s hard for me to stay interested in one project and complete it.

1 Like

I don’t want to, I want to crochet

1 Like

Oof that’s crappy of someone to do :frowning:

I know the feeling. I used to write fanfic and silly werewolf stories which I managed to finish but when I got more serious about wanting to write cool stories I was passionate about I think the pressure I put on myself being a perfectionist. I have a lot of ideas but I haven’t finished anything seriously in a long time. I’m thinking of leaning back into fanfic and making it somewhat original, like using an au scenario to get my ideas out and change the names since usually my fanfics don’t have anything to do with the original plots it’s just I get excited about the characters / character types and maybe that will help me write like I used to? Maybe you can try something similar? Don’t worry as much about the plot and just try to have fun with it again?

2 Likes

My mental health has been seriously declining, which makes it difficult to find the motivation, inspiration, and focus to write.

1 Like

I actually plan on doing this with one of my fanfics because it took place in an AU that had nothing to do with the original world and I basically made the characters my own anyways. They were very loosely based off of the canon characters. Just using that as inspiration and then changing the names and appearances slightly can really work well for original ideas.

3 Likes

That would be a step down. My fanfics were crappy, and lacked logic. I don’t want to go back. I’ve grown up.

2 Likes

I actually am writing. I only stopped to see what is happening here and to see what the surname of one of my characters are. I forgot the surname. LOL!

3 Likes