What is your favorite kind of seasoning when it comes to food?

When you wanna give your dish, some added flavor, what is your go to seasoning?
If you just use salt and pepper, then that is fine too.

Bonus Question:

Which condiments can turn boring yet bland food into something exciting yet tasty in your opinion?

2 Likes

PAPRIKA

3 Likes

Paprika! I didn’t think I need ya!
Let me stop. LOL!

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Anything at all, even salt.

2 Likes

Sounds good.

Got any go-to seasonings and condiments that you use for your favorite dishes?

2 Likes

I like paprika, bbq, ranch, salt, smoke, curry sauce and sometiems tomato ketchup. Not all on the same dish though :flushed:

2 Likes

Anything with a rich, not hot, spiciness.

Like Katsu Curry. Love that stuff!

SD

2 Likes

lavender, rosemary, tarragon, thyme ( ˘ ³˘):heart:

3 Likes

Of course not! LOL!
That is crazy gross and wild.

2 Likes

So, you like that extra or added kick to your meal, huh?

1 Like

I never heard of tarragon before.

It’s obviously a type of herb, correct?

2 Likes

Yup! It’s pretty common, so you might have had it before without knowing it if you eat out a lot. (*^-‘) 乃

2 Likes

Oh wow. I probably have.
Even though I barely eat out. So, it is probably a past thing.

LOL!

2 Likes

Depends on what it is…

Regularly use:
Vinegar, peppers, onions, garlic, salt, roux, etc.

2 Likes

Hearty meaty stews or gumbo?

What seasonings do you favor that gives stews or even gumbo that fabulous spark of taste?

1 Like

Roux is butter or oil (more first-time friendly) fried flour. Flour is usually a thickener (or cornstarch) for stews. It CAN be baked without the oil or butter for those that need less oil.

But what this does is give a nutty flavor to the flour. File (sassafrass) is the specific seasoning of a gumbo that makes it gumbo, so when I add that to stews it tastes like a badly made gumbo.

Garlic is more iconic of Italian seasoning. Cajuns use red bell pepper, celery and onions as “the Holy Trinity”. Stronger pepper isn’t for a gumbo, but is used in most other dishes. And vinegar is most often used with pickeld peppers and beans. I often use pickle juice for marinating chicken.

If I’m trying to absorb flavors in a dish, potato and carrots do that.

2 Likes

Less than normal seasoning?

Anise (black licorice), almond and orange extract, cocoa powder, basil, (parsley sage, rosemary and thyme).

Rosemary is kind of pine tasting. Anise isn’t discernable in pumpkin spice, but it’s there.

Boiling a spiral ham in Dr. Pepper leeches out the salt and candies the meat.

3 Likes

Oh, and cinnamon gives the impression of being sweet without adding sugar. Brain trick.

1 Like

1/2 of the main cast of everyone’s favorite Cruchyroll show! :awesome:

3 Likes

Sues Botto for bring back memories of that show which I will not name. :flushed:

2 Likes