What is your least favorite book?

Everyone talks about their favorite books, but… what is your least favorite? You can choose one or twenty. :sweat_smile:

Mine, in no particular order, are…

• The Cabin by Natasha Preston

• Halloween Murder by Shelley Freydont

• The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

• Deadman Walking by Sherrilyn Kenyon

• Thirteen by Steve Cavanaugh

• The Perfect Marriage by Jeneva Rose

• Called Upon by Bethany Lee

There are others, but that’s all I’ll name for now. What about you?

9 Likes

To me, it would be ‘Anna Karenina’ by Tolstoy.

It is a book of great quality, no one can deny that. The author was the great Tolstoy, after all.

The reason I put it in least favorite category, is merely the fact of how hyped it was here at the point of time of me buying the work. Thus I approached it with high expectations.

Unfortunately, they were not answered primarily because of the so called tragic story of main character, Anna. I never understood why I was supposed to feel sorry for her. If anything, her actions made my skin crawl throughout whole novel. Neither do I fully understand why she did what she did at the end. My feelings were blank. Side characters helped me finish that giant work. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

If you liked any of these, this is no attack on you.

• Shadow and Bone trilogy by Leigh Bardugo (great idea, bad execution)

• Zoo at the Edge of the World by Eric Kahn Gale (you can have mean characters in a middle grade book but not something bordering child abuse)

• Markswoman by Rati Mehrotra (great idea, bad execution)

• Melokai by Rosalyn Kelly (too much violence and r-rated themes. in my defense, the sneak peek cut off right before the first horrific thing and many reviews didn’t mention to what extent it was. neither did the blurb.)

• Homer’s Odyssey by Gwen Cooper (a story about a cat with very little “cat” in it. mostly repetition and confusing order of chapters. badly written.)

• Claws by Mike and Rachel Grinti (too many painful plot holes)

3 Likes

Uhm, every book I’ve had to study in high school and university

3 Likes

I got it for free on my iPad and slowly, slowly reading it. Don’t spoil the end XD And I can understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

1 Like

Controversial.

I hated The Book Thief. I got half way through it and DNF’d. I was so bored, I hated it.

4 Likes

Uncontreversial.

Handbook for Mortals for a textbook Mary Sue character, lacking a plot, badly utilizing tarot (in the hands of a good writer, Zade’s tarot cards would have warned her that her catty and immature behavior would alienate her chances of finding love), and cheating its way onto the NYT Bestseller List.

I suppose that the 64 Squares series is worse at an objective level, but at least those books never had greater ambitions of ever being adapted into a movie. Yes, Handbook for Mortals has a screenplay that the author wrote, and the screenplay is just as bad as the book, if not worse.

2 Likes

YES omg! As soon as I saw this I thought of Natasha Preston. I even got two of her books just to give her another chance and I do not like her work. So my sis came over a few weeks ago and asked to borrow them and I was like you can but don’t bother bc they suck but hey check out this other one I have…!

4 Likes

I don’t even remember the names of things I hate like that.

I know the scene that did it for me:

Woman publicly accused a Lord to his face of stealing something from her in a hysterical manner in the Regency era…and the man took the verbal abuse and pulled her aside quietly to support her.

Freaking historical fiction would put a single woman who acted like that in bedlam! She’d be in for electric shock therapy! A man might take that in private, but a lord of that era would NOT allow a woman to trample his good name like that, especially when barely involved with her.

My husband, on the other hand, wrote a paper on Moby Dick about how much he loathed reading it. Got an A on a paper that deliberately confessed to not bearing through reading but half of it, but got the gyst of the rest of the story.

2 Likes

Lolita, by Nabokov
War and Peace, by Tolstoy

2 Likes

So, you won’t believe it, but in the end she-

:laughing:
Jokes aside, yeah, maybe you’ll like it more than me.

2 Likes

I really didn’t like Of Mice and Men or To Kill A Mockingbird but the one that irritates me the most is The Night Shift by Alex Finlay.

Although, I only got 15% of the way into the book I definitely think it’s the worst book I’ve read. I honestly wouldn’t even pick up any of his other works or tell anybody to do so unless it’s an all male cast. His writing of female characters might just be really bad in this book but it’s so bad that I can’t see it just being in this book.

3 Likes

i’m here for the Natasha Preston slander lmao
I read The Lake last month and reread The Cellar this month and the number of times i lowered those books to thousand-yard-stare at the sheer stupidity of them was ridiculous.

you know a book is bad when the original wattpad-era incest plotpoint made it better, not because it was more horrifying, but because it improved the character development

4 Likes

okay, now, books i have a personal vendetta against rubs evil mantis hands

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan - the mc had the maturity of a spoiled 8-year-old. And she was stupid, incredibly selfish, and had plot armor made of adamantium to boot. At one point she laid in the mud and pouted. I can’t remember why but it was a stupid, childish reason. She spent a majority of the book complaining that her sister married the guy she had a crush on, and then broke up their marriage by… existing! Also like every character died protecting her.

The writing was low-quality in general but I just wanted to reach into the pages and throttle that little shit mc.

The Pain Eater by Beth Goobie - this book made me ~uncomfortable~. The only good thing I did during my attempt at a library practicum was have this pulled from the shelves. I don’t know who approved it to be there in the first place, we were in an elementary school library and this book was made up of graphic rape and self harm scenes tied loosely together by a wattpad-esque English Class Homework is Super Relevant to the MCs Life plot device.

Also i’m not a fan of Beth Goobie’s work in general.

Suicide Notes by Michael Ford - a teenage boy in a psych ward is sexually assaulted by an older male patient into re-discovering that he’s gay and it’s treated like a good thing. That’s the entire book.

The Dragons of Remini by Lorna J. Carleton - I gather from her Goodreads reviews that she’s quite a lovely lady and very invested in her story. Unfortunately her story commited several violent crimes against my eyes, including but not limited to;

• the phrase ‘megawatt femininity’ used completely unironically.
  • super evil lizard bad guy speaking the words ‘har har har’ every other sentence.
  • super evil lizard bad guy’s dialogue in general
  • Supra-Mary Sue MC who loathed her sister for ~having normal hormones~
  • worldbuilding with a disease that blatantly should have killed off humanity a century before the book was set.
  • the editor was either a lie or the author pulled him from a dumpster and paid him with expired peanut m&ms and lint.
  • and my pet peeve in self-published books: multi-punctuation. fucking. everywhere. My eyes bled from being poked with double exclaimation points constantly.
3 Likes

The Spanish Love Deception - Don’t even read it as a joke. It will end up as good hamster bedding, or fire fuel for a few moments.

5 Likes

Me, with Spanish Love Deception. I wanted to throttle her though to see if I could even find a remnant of character lost inside her that might have accidentally slipped through the editing process.

3 Likes

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer is one of them. I managed to survive a few chapters before dropping the book out of frustration. Bella Swan was a boring, whiny, unbearable main character.

There is other one whose mere thought makes my blood boil, but I shall not state its name because yes, I loathe it that much. All I will say is that it was recommended to me here, and I only finished the entire book (which was either 500 or 800 pages long) just because it was recommended by a friend. Made me not only hate the book but physically seethe at the mere thought of third person prose which is neither past nor future tense.

4 Likes

Fr! I’m like do i just get rid of these books? Or let them be used for decoration

3 Likes

I object to this use of the word slander, but it is not surprising that a published Twatpadd Book

You will hate “Bud, not Buddy”