What is your one favorite item in your writer's toolkit?

So, you have the tools to assist you in writing or rather a toolkit. Tell me, which is your favorite item/your go-to item from your writer’s toolkit?

Enjoy!!!

1 Like

I don’t find my brain works like that…

2 Likes

Music :smiley:

1 Like

Aww, man!
LOL!

Awesome!

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I do music, but I also get wire out by sound.

1 Like

Ah, okay! Fair enough.

I’m not sure what toolkit means in this context, but I love writing flashbacks, stream-of-consciousness, and motifs. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

Would you get it more if I said “toolbox” instead of “toolkit”?

1 Like

No, I’d need examples of tools. Do you mean types of software? Or various literary devices? Or something else altogether?

1 Like

Notebook.
Pens and/or pencils.
Computer.
Sticky Notes/Post-its.
Index Cards
Music.

Those are just a few things.

2 Likes

I like to write stuff down first when planning, and drawing my characters usually helps as well.

2 Likes

My bestfriend / alpha reader.
I love bouncing ideas off of her brain. For some reason, my plots work out much better when I’m discussing them with her.

2 Likes

Pen/pencil and paper. It is so much more motivating to write things phsyically than to type, it keeps me going for longer.

Sometimes music, but specific songs and moods or else it throws me out of the scenes.

Word sprints/word wars. Like oh my gosh this stuff is great; just charge through it and get as much done as possible without looking back or allowing myself to get distracted.

Recently Ive been doing a bit of the same by writingna certain story in pen on printer paper, so i cant rewrite more than a few words and the best I can do is mark it for editing later when i eventually type it up for a rewrite. If the whole scenes starts flowing the wrong way, then i can easily scrap the page and try it again from a point without having to deal with pages of eraser marks (makes me fussy seeing things sloopy or unorganized which can prevent me from forward progress). I usually write in composition notebooks in pencil (Dixon Ticonderoga ONLY) so writing this in pen on paper sheets is different.

2 Likes

Do you always write by hand first then type out the rest in edits or not at all?

1 Like

Not always. I always end up typing it up, but sometimes I wont write on paper at all. That’s not often though as I find it a lot better and easier to focus while writing on paper. However, some writing spurs will have me typing furiously at night or in the morning or a tine when i dont have paper available. So most of my serious stories have their own paper copies for sure. (Because wattpad messing up my chapters when i switched from computer to phone just got too annoying to handle :unamused:)

2 Likes