What's the most depressing story you've ever read?

Oh, I thought you meant “depressing” as in “really boring” :joy:

• Scarecrow killed me the first time when Fox died. Cried :sob:
  • Kingdom of Darkness when Macy died. She deserved so much better :sob:
  • The end of Empire of Storms and start of Kingdom of Ash. Because heartbreak :sob:
1 Like

Never Let me Go

there’s dystopian and there’s this. It took dystopian and turned it on its head. Instead of rebellions, surpression and governments, it starts you out with the repressed people, with the “normal” citizens, the common people, experiencing this terrible society, but the worst part is, there is no rebellion, no uprise, never, you feel the characters slowly slip away in powerlessness and acceptance of their fate and omg it killed me.

The Kite Runner

when you think “this can’t get worse” it gets worse, for 500 pages. Next to that it’s a genuinely fucked up story. This one left me with mildy repressed memories and genuine disgust for adult fiction. It scarred me, I cried out of relief when it was finished. It had a major character death that I predicted and I still screamed at the pages when it happened, it was just so unfair. Maaaannn, I can rant about this one for hours. I did not want to finish this book, but I had to for an assignment so I dragged myself over the pages in 3 heavy days.

I have a high tolerance for almost anything except for real life stories about child abuse. The world is already dark enough to me. It goes way beyond just feeling sad or crying.

1 Like

The one about Sam Levinson Making Euphoria and it being the biggest show on HBO behind Game of Thrones.

1 Like

YES!

The book hangover of this one was soooo…ooof :tired_face: I stared into space after reading it.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman (it’s also a little funny, so it definitely takes you on an emotional rollercoaster)

Citadel by Kate Mosse (It’s the last book of a trilogy, but I read it as a standalone by mistake and it works fine. Absolutely heart wrenching. ABSOLUTELY heart WRENCHing.)

And, already mentioned Sadie by Courtney Summers

Also, In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick. A true story about what happened with the tragedy of the whaleship Essex in 1820 (it was made into a dramatized movie which is also pretty good, but not completely accurate. If you want accurate, watch movie then read book). It’s a historical account, but written for fiction-lovers. Easy read and fascinating and depressing and just…wow. Humans are so resilient when we wanna be.

Okay, those were books that were actually tear-jerking or gut-wrenching or just…leaves you speechless. This next one was…it was depressing in a whole other way. Also weird, but for some reason, I keep recommending it to people :grimacing:

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
I guarantee, you will cringe from page one and it will leave you feeling hollow and uncertain by the end of it.

1 Like

I can never remember the boring ones because they leave me as soon as I either finish or quit reading. You’ve got to do something memorable for me to ditch and remember.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.