When a book uses weird words/phrases, you never forget them

Yeah I agree. Just say lover.

1 Like

That is certainly…

an

image:eyes:

Sounds like they are galloping off on their own which is pretty creepy.

2 Likes

I’m new to reading in the werewolf genre (reading my first book recently), but I have seen the term “mate” used elsewhere like in Fairy Tail fanfics for Dragon Slayers. I think authors probably choose mate because it not only suggests those involved in the relationship (whether one or both) are not wholly human, but I guess it sounds sexier if you’re going for the wild, feral, thing? :laughing: I feel like the “mate” romances have “practices” in it that are not normal for regular humans like your lover being able to identify you/feelings based off of scent or some animal-like thing humans can’t do. Hence why they use that term instead of lover/boyfriend/girlfriend etc? :thinking:

I think a lot of people use it in a way to suggest that it’s different than just a “lover,” but rather a partner for life, a soulmate if you will. :wink: Though I guess they can just say soul mate then instead of mate. Hmm…

2 Likes

Not just werewolf, but fae, too, I heard.

I guess some people like it but it makes me uncomfortable :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If that was the case, Raptor Red would be the sexiest novel in recent memory!

1 Like

?

I’ve always assumed it just meant that the eyes were very dark so you couldn’t make out the details of the eye or that the eye are deep-set or hooded…

2 Likes

It’s just a bypass to marriage and shorthand of soulmate.

2 Likes

That’s horrifying though

1 Like

It’s the staple of human monsters in a lot of series like True Blood. Yes, I watched the first 4ish seasons of that and read like the first 3, 4 books. Not real fond of serialized relationships. Sometimes I consider that the downfall of vampire and werewolf dramas.

2 Likes

What if vampires had mosquito eyes?

1 Like

I did that to the MC in To Make a Kinder Children’s Tale…more accurately the remnants in her as she appears human and in one of the more archaic ancestors, she still has eyes like that.

The fun part is that there is a segment that discusses whether these ancestors would eat a whole human or elf…and some vampire legends vamps aren’t just blood drinkers, so…I’ve technically done that without labeling them vampires.

Basically, if it’s been thought, some iteration of it has been tried.

3 Likes

I prefer that over vacant reflective pools of nothingness.

2 Likes

Well, they are descendants of sentient wasps mixed with Elves, so…

Yeah, these were headers for various chapters.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you’d like all the the story, but I know that some of the chapters would suit you, as they are interesting.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.